Outer ring of TFR No xpondr

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
One of these days I have the goal of taking the cub up to w75 to visit my parents.

If I were to fly this weekend, i'd have to fly through the outer ring of BO's TFR. I can get around the two smaller 10nm TFR's (at some time expense) but i'm stuck with the outer ring. Flying all the way around that in the slow cub would add way too much time to my trip.

The guidance I have read says that aircraft departing from or arriving to airports under the outer ring are A-Ok. w75 is just under the outer ring. The problem is that the guidance also speaks about being on a flight plan, and squawking a code the whole time.

I don't have a transponder in the cub. Would I be able to fly through the outer ring if I arranged it in advance?

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/sect_print_2_5505.html

B. For operations within the airspace between the 10 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

I think you can do it if the cub is no-electrical.

I think you can do it if the cub is no-electrical.
You're confusing this TFR issue with the rules about transponder requirements inside the Mode C veil of Class B airspace (91.215(b)(3)). There is no published exception to the transponder rule for operating within the 30nm ring of a Presidential TFR. I know that with prior coordination (like days prior) Potomac has allowed no-transponder aircraft to be led into the DC SFRA by a transponder-equipped aircraft in close formation, but that's the only exception I know having been made.

I think someone around here asked the local ATC a similar question and was told no. However, I don't know if that's because they can't make an exception or because that didn't feel like making an exception.

It can't hurt to call them and ask.

Back