Out of dates plates

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Now I have a situation I have never faced. What would you do is the question.

The trip I am on will have me having to buy new enroute charts, plates, and updating the GPS database. No problem on the GPS, I downloaded to the new db to my laptop before the trip and will be able to upload it before I leave. The FBO had the enroute charts but no approach plates for the areas I need. So now I am forced into a situation where I may have to fly an approach without a current plate. What would you do in such a situation. Keep in mind the airport I am at is the biggest around so flying somewhere in VMC to buy some is not an easy option. Espcielly since the WX has been going IMC alot today and most likely tomorrow as well.

Scott: Since you have internet access why not download the NACO plates you might need from the AOPA site!

Actually I do prefer the jepp plates but one of the benefits of the NACO is that you can get them from AOPA.

AdamZ said:
Scott: Since you have internet access why not download the NACO plates you might need from the AOPA site!
No printer, I had thought of that too. I was looking around for an Internet cafe to print them out but have not had much luck yet.

My back up is to down load them and then look over the paper version I have and pencil in any updates for the ones that I will be using.

that would probably work scott. make sure MDA etc. havent changed. Im not 100% on the legality of updating plates, apparently looking for updates and making changes (ala Howie Keefes aircharts update) is legal. Definitely practical, save you a ton on buying new plates when only a couple changes have been made

smigaldi said:
No printer, I had thought of that too. I was looking around for an Internet cafe to print them out but have not had much luck yet.

My back up is to down load them and then look over the paper version I have and pencil in any updates for the ones that I will be using.

Kinkos (maybe, one I tried last year wouldn't let you print from a laptop).

Aside from the DVD, that's the best idea I have.

Alternative: have Sporty's overnight a set to you. Pricy, yes, but it works.

AdamZ said:
Actually I do prefer the jepp plates but one of the benefits of the NACO is that you can get them from AOPA.

I like the resolution of the chart from www.airnav.com and from NACO over the those at the AOPA. AOPA downloads faster, but I prefer a better resolution if I cannot have Jeppesen. Since going to JeppView, I get resolution, color and flexibility.

TMetzinger said:
If you tell me the jepp plates you need and can provide a fax number I'll fax them to you.

That is a nice offer but I am not sure where a fax is. I think I have it solved with the penciled changes though.

smigaldi said:
That is a nice offer but I am not sure where a fax is. I think I have it solved with the penciled changes though.

Pencil changes are perfectly fine. Technically you aren't even required to have approach plates if you are part 91, you just have to have the information.

smigaldi said:

It's easy enough to just check the revision number and see if the plates have even changed. If they have, I dunno if I'd want to trust myself to catch every change, but approaches don't seem to change all that often.

I sometimes just check the revision date and note the new expiration date on the printed plate. For a checkride, though, I think I'l buy a nice new fresh set! :)

Jeffrey, I hadn't noticed a resolution difference between NACO and AOPA. I usually use AOPA because of the linking from RTFP.

A couple of ideas for the printing problems-
1) Download & print at a local public library. Also try a university library if you can get to one.

2) Try a hotel's business center- you usually have internet/printing at those.

3) Use your lap top, save the PDFs to a "thumb drive". You can then take that to a library/Kinkos/Office Max/Staples/Hotel front desk/hotel business Center.

4) The local convention center will often have a business center that will take thumb drives as well.

I haven't done it for NACO charts, but I've used all of the above during business trips! The options are not always cheap- I've been charged $10 for 10 min internet access and $1/page. Expense accounts eased the pain somewhat, but I still felt ripped off.

At the bottom left corner of the FAA NACO approach charts will be the abbreviation "orig" or "Amdt" followed by a number. Look on the AOPA or Airnav sites and see if the current plate they have available for download has the same code. If it does, there has been no change, and the plate you have is current.

Jon

Back