Other than Paypal

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey admins,

I was planning on buying some stuff to support PoA today, but I noticed it all goes through paypal. Is there a way to pay y'all for a custom title or something without using paypal? I'd like to avoid giving them any money whatsoever.

No, sorry. Paypal makes life simple for us. I've always been very happy w/ em, m'self. Been w/ em for gosh, almost 3 years now I think.

Ken Ibold said:
JOOC, what's your beef with paypal?

I have two big issues with paypal.

1) Their own user agreement states that they can take money out of your account without verifying it with the customer first.

2) When Hurricane Katrina happened, a big group of people I know online (including myself) donated massive amounts of money, and Paypal freezed the account, saying something suspicious was happening, and refused to release the money to the Katrina fund. It instead chose to refund money back to everyone that donated. Those that paid from outside America wound up screwed on the exchange rate since Paypal only accepts US Dollars.

No matter, I feel strong enough about PoA that I used them for the transaction here anyways. Was kind of hoping to hear that a mailed check or money order would work also. I'm not trying to stir up the water, so forget I even asked.

I've had requests for check handling before, but PoA is a virtual entity, and while I do have a bank account set up just for PoA, it just keeps things simpler for me if I stick to PayPal.

Altho I think vB now supports more than one online payment system...

I can understand your beef tho - i mean catching suspicious activity == good but refusing to let the money thru to Katrina Fund == stupid...

Lots of people have had "trouble" with Paypal. I know someone who is a multi-millionaire that had their Paypal account blocked because they the disputed an Ebay purchase that turned out to be essentially an empty box. And they couldn't get it turned back on because there was no customer service phone number. To top it off, Paypal froze hundreds of dollars in the account that were sent to him by other people. It took months and threat of legal action to get the money back.

I cancelled a paypal payment to someone before it was funded (like 30 seconds after I hit "pay"). It took a month to get the money credited back, and then I had to ask Paypal to send it to my bank account.

Not cool.

I'm not a big fan of Paypal either, but I do use them for small payments when appropriate. I also keep it linked to an account with very little money.

more horro stories: http://paypalsucks.com/

when I changed my E-mail address, I can not change it in PayPal. When I tried they say I must start a new account, but when I tried that, it says my account numbers are being used by another.

And like always there is no phone number to call.

NC19143 said:
when I changed my E-mail address, I can not change it in PayPal. When I tried they say I must start a new account, but when I tried that, it says my account numbers are being used by another.

And like always there is no phone number to call.
I have added and removed email addresses in PayPal with no problem. The trick is you add the new one, change it to the primary and THEN delete the old one.

Google is supposed to be introducing Gbuy soon... perhaps that can be a new option for PoA?

wsuffa said:
I cancelled a paypal payment to someone before it was funded (like 30 seconds after I hit "pay"). It took a month to get the money credited back, and then I had to ask Paypal to send it to my bank account.

Not cool.

I'm not a big fan of Paypal either, but I do use them for small payments when appropriate. I also keep it linked to an account with very little money.

more horro stories: http://paypalsucks.com/
I don't trust PayPal, either, although I haven't been seriously burned by PayPal.

I have been burned by crook sellers on Ebay who must have bought, "Ripoffs on Ebay for Dummies," because they used the same MO. If at 29 days after purchase you get an email that say "Gee. I'm sorry my PC crashed and I lost your address...." put in a claim immediately. The seller is waiting for the 30 days for refund to run out.

I almost got burned in situation similar to Bill's when I bought my laptop. As usual I carefully went through the 3 screens you have to to tell PayPal NO I don't want you to take the money from checking even though it's such a great deal for you when I do that way...when I discovered that I had taken the funds from my mostly dormant checking account. In that case I was able to find a phone number and get through to a human in fairly short order who told me I couldn't back out the payment. I was able to rush to the bank immediately with cash and avoid an overdraft.

Like, Bill, I keep that old account on PayPal so if they decide to raid it they can't get much.

I heard about that complaint with PayPal and the Katrina fund and many others. It's good that "Do no harm" Google is going to try to compete. Yahoo tried and failed because PayPal is now so embedded. Ebay is not going to make using other payment sites easy.

wbarnhill said:
Google is supposed to be introducing Gbuy soon... perhaps that can be a new option for PoA?
We don't control what will and won't work with the vBulletin software, but if those who do, do, and there's enough demand for us to implement, we will.

I have thus far resisted getting my PayPal account "verified" (which means, giving them bank account information and verifying when they made a small deposit). For a while, they said I was near the LIFETIME LIMIT WITHOUT VERIFIED STATUS of something like $1500; now, it claims I have but $7,600 of my $10,000 sending limit left.

Yah, whatever.

I ain't attaching squat to any bank account, thanky.

SCCutler said:
I have thus far resisted getting my PayPal account "verified" (which means, giving them bank account information and verifying when they made a small deposit). For a while, they said I was near the LIFETIME LIMIT WITHOUT VERIFIED STATUS of something like $1500; now, it claims I have but $7,600 of my $10,000 sending limit left.

Yah, whatever.

I ain't attaching squat to any bank account, thanky.

I've verified my PayPal acct and not had a problem. I like being able to move money into the money market acct on PayPal, then moving it back to my bank account. Plus I have the PayPal debit card so if I need immediate access to the money in the PayPal acct, I can just use that. But that's just my experience with it.

Greebo said:
We don't control what will and won't work with the vBulletin software, but if those who do, do, and there's enough demand for us to implement, we will.

From what I understand it should be fee free for a while, then moving to a fee structure that still is about 1% cheaper than PayPal. But just putting it out there. I have no problem with PayPal at the moment :)

Greebo said:
I have added and removed email addresses in PayPal with no problem. The trick is you add the new one, change it to the primary and THEN delete the old one.

Tried that,, it worked,,,, :)

The question I am wondering about is --- Where is the section for items for sale by POA?! I would love to support the site as well.
Not really displayed well in my opinion, (or I just am seriously missing something lol).

SkyHog said:
Hey admins,

I was planning on buying some stuff to support PoA today, but I noticed it all goes through paypal. Is there a way to pay y'all for a custom title or something without using paypal? I'd like to avoid giving them any money whatsoever.

One of my coworkers has, on three seperate occasions, had money deducted from his bank account by PayPal for what they claimed were charges for bounced checks that he says he had nothing to do with. I've also heard a number of people complain about frozen bank accounts.

I've used PayPal but I will not link a bank account to them.

Jeannie

CapeCodJay said:
The question I am wondering about is --- Where is the section for items for sale by POA?! I would love to support the site as well.
Not really displayed well in my opinion, (or I just am seriously missing something lol).
Go to 'User CP' and then slect 'Paid Subscriptions' from the menu on the left.

Back