OT: Sailing/camping on East Coast?

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
Any suggestions of where someone might go in the Northeast either for river, bay, or coastal cruising/camping for a week or so (that wouldn't cost the earth, preferably) would be appreciated. I am researching on the Internet, yes, but PoA'ers usually have a lot of great info to share. :)

My sister here in Portland and I want to visit other sisters on East coast, and sailboat camping was something that came up as an option.

Thanks bunches!

Do any of you have a boat, or are you looking to rent?

Do you prefer to dock, use mooring buoys, or anchor?

What's your comfort level regarding getting 10-12 miles out on the ocean (nearest land 10-12 miles away)?

I always liked Block Island and the area near the beginning of Cape Cod and the islands (Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket)

Do any of you have a boat, or are you looking to rent?
rent/charter

Do you prefer to dock, use mooring buoys, or anchor?
Depends on where, when, and the weather. A little of everything. We'd likely sleep on the boat or if near camping area, ashore.

What's your comfort level regarding getting 10-12 miles out on the ocean (nearest land 10-12 miles away)?
I am not sure we'd be doing any coastal cruising that far--that would be up to my sister "The Skipper" (aka my sister the motorcycle racer), who just told me to start looking and isn't here to ask right now. But we were thinking more Bay/River/Sound sort of stuff than ocean coast. Right now we're up for ideas. I am just doing the preliminary hunting. (Found some interesting prospects on Chesapeake Bay in the last few minutes.)

I always liked Block Island and the area near the beginning of Cape Cod and the islands (Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket)

Oooh, I would love to go up there. Isn't that where that old show "Wings" was supposed to be located, too?

Of course if I had my druthers, we'd have our own amphibious ultralights and REALLY have a blast low and slow over the water and camping out and such, but...I'd have to win the Powerball between now and August to make that happen.

When are you going to the east coast Terry? I have a house on Nantucket. If I can work it out...maybe I can meet you guys up there and we can spend the day up there.

When are you going to the east coast Terry? I have a house on Nantucket. If I can work it out...maybe I can meet you guys up there and we can spend the day up there.
That would be cool. We are thinking beginning of August (We like to coincide with Celtic holiday Lughnasa). Not sure WHERE yet, but anywhere from MD to New England. Have sisters in southeast New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and CT, so trying to be convenient to all as well as some place we'd all LIKE to go. I've always loved Chesapeake Bay but would like to do the New England stuff, too. Our first Sisterfest was at Lake Itasca in Minnesota and the last Sisterfest was supposed to be in Maine. (It got cancelled.) So...we're still open for an "M" state and still trying to decide!

terry

rent/charter
I can't help there- my parents had their own boat

Depends on where, when, and the weather. A little of everything. We'd likely sleep on the boat or if near camping area, ashore.
You'll likely be sleeping on the boat

I am not sure we'd be doing any coastal cruising that far--that would be up to my sister "The Skipper" (aka my sister the motorcycle racer), who just told me to start looking and isn't here to ask right now. But we were thinking more Bay/River/Sound sort of stuff than ocean coast. Right now we're up for ideas. I am just doing the preliminary hunting. (Found some interesting prospects on Chesapeake Bay in the last few minutes.)
This tends to rule out both Block Island and Nantucket as these are a little far off the coast.

The Chesapeake is a good choice. But it is a fairly large body of water- large enough that it can be difficult to make harbor quickly if a storm kicks up. You can follow the intracoastal waterway down to Florida from there.

Oooh, I would love to go up there. Isn't that where that old show "Wings" was supposed to be located, too?
Yes- it was.

Of course if I had my druthers, we'd have our own amphibious ultralights and REALLY have a blast low and slow over the water and camping out and such, but...I'd have to win the Powerball between now and August to make that happen.
One could only hope.

Also keep in mind that a cabin sailor has an enormous amount of power, even it it isn't fast. Everytime that boat moves one boat length, it has to move it's own weight in water. This could be several tons. Don't underestimate that kind of power or you'll get hurt. "You'll need to know how to set and reduce sail, and to properly trim them. It sounds like you guys are beginning sailors- if I'm wrong, please forgive me.

Treat that sailboat with the same respect you give an airplane. The sea is only a little more forgiving of mistakes than the air.

Having said that, sailing is great fun.

http://yachtnorth.com/charter-rates.html

As you read the site, North Yarmouth is about 15 miles from where I live. "Departure"(s) from Great Island is about five miles from my present house. "Departure"(s) from Robinhood Marina is about three miles from the house I just bought in Georgetown. You'd be more than welcome to stay your arrival night at the new house(I'll start moving in on June 01). 3 BR, 2 full baths, 2 1/2 baths. I should have it christened by August. :yes:

HR

Attachments

• GeorgetownA.jpg
    GeorgetownA.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It sounds like you guys are beginning sailors- if I'm wrong, please forgive me.

I AM a beginning sailor--my youngest sister isn't. Which is why I am "fishing" for information. :) I know there are a LOT of gaps (can we say Grand Canyon) in what I know about Boats. :dunno:(I know they have funny wings and can fly, and when I have it trimmed right it feels really sweet. That's about it.) I hope to learn more between now and then, as we have been going out more often (albeit on the Columbia not the ocean.) Laura has been ocean sailing and part of racing yacht crews and owned her own boat, and she's not around this weekend and just told me to see what I could find and we'd go from there. (Which is where I'm at! LOL! :) ) Thanks for your help!:yes:

http://yachtnorth.com/charter-rates.html

As you read the site, North Yarmouth is about 15 miles from where I live. "Departure"(s) from Great Island is about five miles from my present house. "Departure"(s) from Robinhood Marina is about three miles from the house I just bought in Georgetown. You'd be more than welcome to stay your arrival night at the new house(I'll start moving in on June 01). 3 BR, 2 full baths, 2 1/2 baths. I should have it christened by August. :yes:

HR

Wow...how incredibly generous! And your house looks fabulous. We'll see which way the wind blows us. Thanks! Off to look at the info.

Any suggestions of where someone might go in the Northeast either for river, bay, or coastal cruising/camping for a week or so (that wouldn't cost the earth, preferably) would be appreciated. I am researching on the Internet, yes, but PoA'ers usually have a lot of great info to share. :)

My sister here in Portland and I want to visit other sisters on East coast, and sailboat camping was something that came up as an option.

Thanks bunches!

Back when I was sailing Domino Effect ((I believe she's back to Victory Chimes again) there were several rental/charter outfits in Camden Maine. Beautiful sailing up there.

Here you go, Henning.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/victory.htm

The author, Nick Dean, was a customer of mine at my camera store. He was a noted maritime historian, widely published, and traveled far and wide with his Nikon cameras. He did an extensive underwater project on Davey Jone's Locker for National Geographic Magazine. I can hear him griping now: "I really need some new equipment but National Geographic only pays upon publication, and sometimes it's nearly a year after I've completed an assignment."
Nick was a friend of the governor of The Falklands and just happened to be there when the invasion occurred many years ago. He came back with some awesome photos of the action.

One summer when I was in college I cooked on Victory Chimes. When I had my Luders sailboat it was always great to spot and try to catch the big green hull on the horizon, and to photograph her. A wonderful ship(as are Angelique; and Heritage, Mattie, and Mercantile.

HR

Last edited:
Terry, not knowing how experience your sister is its hard to make a recomendation but you can check out two sailing schools that charter out their vessels

1) New Jersey School of Saling in Bay Head NJ
At the Top of Barnagate Bay. Very protected and plenty of places to stop and stay and eat

2) Annopolis Sailing School. The chesapeak is an awesome sailing spot. Especially in the Fall.

You can find each easliy on the Web. Your sisters experience and ratings will depend on what you get where. Does she have any CG licenses or certs?

Thanks, everyone! My sisters on the East Coast are partial to Chesapeake Bay (and having spent my formative years in that area, I'm agreeable), so at least we've targeted our destination for this year. Laura's got the certs she needs to charter the boat. Also, prices on the Bay are half those in New England area from what I've seen so far (I keep telling myself, A week on bottled water and fish and crabs I have to catch myself is going to be good for me, since I joked to my sisters even after we all split out the fees all we're going to afford is water and a five day nonresident fishing license. LOL!!) I'll check out the sailing school in Annapolis and found this one http://www.havenchartersbareboat.com/ that has some pretty decent "midweek specials" from M-F.

I'd love to meet any PoAers in the area if we end up pulling this off (looks like second week in August now, too) whether or not we make it a camping only or sailing trip. So I'll keep y'all posted and I guess it is off to the bookstore and chart shop for books and charts for the bay area.

terry

Back