OT: My winged thing...

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I'm supposed to be working on web stuff and other graphics today, but my parrot Apple was sitting nearby looking so sweet that I just opened up a new file in Photoshop, grabbed my stylus, and started sketching. Hope you enjoy this little character study of my wing-friend.
apple2.jpg

Very nice work! :yes: What kind of stylus thing are you making reference to? I earn my living with Photoshop (prepress/photo restoration) but I'm not familiar with that.

Very nice work! :yes: What kind of stylus thing are you making reference to? I earn my living with Photoshop (prepress/photo restoration) but I'm not familiar with that.
I use a seven year old 4 x 6 Wacom tablet and stylus/pen for drawing/painting directly into the computer. Also for retouching photos and doing detail intensive work. (I used to draw/paint with the mouse before that.)

In Photoshop I use the brush tool to sketch, the airbrush to lay in blocks of color, the "finger" (smudge brush) to smear pixels around, and the burn/dodge tool to lighten and darken. If I do not lay in a white layer behind (I didn't with this one) I duplicate the initial layer twice, do some adjustments, and merge. Finally, back to brush for details like eye highlights, back to smudge brush, eraser to clean things up, slap on a new layer, signature, and call it good enough.

Nice thing: no paint mess, no spilled turps, no canvases to trip over, and a lot cheaper. Not to say I don't miss painting conventionally--I just can't afford it right now. :) (Like flying. sigh.)

Never met your Apple (is it an iParrot?) but he's sure beautiful. Nice pic.

Apple is a nine-month old iQuaker (or Monk) Parrot (or parakeet, no one can make up their minds.) I had him since he was four months old. He loves going out for rides in the car and one day I'll see how he likes going in an airplane, too. :)

Gorgeous sketch! I have a Quaker also, Codi, or Miss Codi Bird as she introduces herself to others. She just turned 19 in November.

Gorgeous sketch! I have a Quaker also, Codi, or Miss Codi Bird as she introduces herself to others. She just turned 19 in November.

LOL---Apple introduces himself (so far) by demanding 'Step-up" or "Up-up" (so his visitor will pick him up) and then says "Hi! Good boy!"

We're working on preflight checklist. He gets so excited and vocal when we climb into the truck (he said "Seat belt!" for the first time just the other day) that I figured one day we can put his talents to real use. Now if they just make headsets for parrots, we'll be ready. He can talk to Approach and Tower (if he were only an African Grey, you can bet he'd get the readback correct just as fast as he heard it) and leave the flying bits to me.

if he were only an African Grey, you can bet he'd get the readback correct just as fast as he heard it

When I was younger I was around an African Grey quite a bit. I was always fascinated with him. He seemed to have emotion and was capable of reading human emotion and making comments intelligently under his own will.

I can hardly imagine how capable he would have been with a patient teacher.

BTW--I'm impressed with your ability to paint in Photoshop like that. I wish I had those kind of skills.

He can talk to Approach and Tower (if he were only an African Grey, you can bet he'd get the readback correct just as fast as he heard it) and leave the flying bits to me.
Now that would be funny to hear. Tower " AppleXXXX cleared to land runway XX" " Cessna XXX you are #2 behind the parrot"

When I was younger I was around an African Grey quite a bit. I was always fascinated with him. He seemed to have emotion and was capable of reading human emotion and making comments intelligently under his own will.
It is already proven without a doubt that African Greys (regarded as the best in the talking department) and other parrots COMMUNICATE, not mimick. At first, they mimick, but they learn speech just like children and have the intelligence of two-to-five year olds. They DO have emotions, and you bet your sweet bippy they can read humans--like any animal with "flock", "herd", or "pack" in its nature. Birds pick up on--and react to--your feelings and the emotional auras around them a lot faster than any other animal in my personal experience, however.

Jesse said:
BTW--I'm impressed with your ability to paint in Photoshop like that. I wish I had those kind of skills.
Thanks, Jesse! I've an art background going back to the first moment I could hold a crayon in my fat little fingers, and have been using Photoshop since the first MS DOS version, so I've had a long time to practice. :)

LOL---Apple introduces himself (so far) by demanding 'Step-up" or "Up-up" (so his visitor will pick him up) and then says "Hi! Good boy!"

We're working on preflight checklist. He gets so excited and vocal when we climb into the truck (he said "Seat belt!" for the first time just the other day) that I figured one day we can put his talents to real use. Now if they just make headsets for parrots, we'll be ready. He can talk to Approach and Tower (if he were only an African Grey, you can bet he'd get the readback correct just as fast as he heard it) and leave the flying bits to me.
Heheh ... I can just hear it now ...

ATC: Squawk 1234

Apple: (brawk!) 1234!

ATC: .....?

Tery:

Nice work- hard to believe it is digitally-done, more proof that in the hands of a true artist, any medium can be beautiful.

(edit)

...just looked at some of the samples on your website, TR- really enjoyed it.

I envy those who can take skill and training, apply them to objects (whether they be computers, brushes with paint or bass fiddles), and make magic appear. The closest I may ever come to art is a good landing.

Last edited:
WARNING:
If you go to Terry's site do not type in the link with two R's in Tery's name. If you do you will end up redirected to an Internet sex site

Wow did it through me for a loop when I saw it. I was thinking what is Terry sending out, then I realized my mistake, OOOPPPs.

I thoroughly checked out the site and it is definitely not our Terry ;)

Last edited:
WARNING:
If you go to Terry's site do not type in the link with two R's in Tery's name. If you do you will end up redirected to an Internet sex site

Wow did it through me for a loop when I saw it. I was thinking what is Terry sending out, then I realized my mistake, OOOPPPs.

I thoroughly checked out the site and it is definitely not our Terry ;)

How thoroughly? ;)

I use a seven year old 4 x 6 Wacom tablet and stylus/pen for drawing/painting directly into the computer. Also for retouching photos and doing detail intensive work. (I used to draw/paint with the mouse before that.)

I had to show a friend of mine the Convertible PC (Converts from standard laptop form to Tablet) I had before he broke down and started using a Wacom. Before then he'd just use the touchpad on his regular laptop. Soon after he got his own Convertible PC and hasn't looked back. He loves it. Recently did caricatures for a local event.. I kinda wish he'd move to more commercial opportunities though, he really is talented...

terzap said:
Nice thing: no paint mess, no spilled turps, no canvases to trip over, and a lot cheaper.

You forgot the best part... the Undo button. :D

Back