OT Car Accidents OT

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Sigh...

Once again my lovely bride let some ninny idiot talk her out of calling the police in an automotive accident.

I really get nervous and ****ed when she does this, and without being too harsh, she probably knows that tonight. She called from the scene to me and I not only said clearly "Call the cops, you know not calling them can become a nightmare" when she said the guy was trying to talk her out of it, but even sent her screenshots of a checklist from our insurance company on her phone of everything to do.

She just doesn't get it that there are people out there with nothing to lose who'll start lying the instant they're away from the scene. And she doesn't get it that I'll be a worried mess for the next week while we wait for the bomb phone call from the insurance company saying the prick is claiming his neck hurts and that she's 100% at fault. (I also don't think she realizes just how damned expensive Attorneys are these days and how fast the vehicles combined with a false medical claim could be a damn near bankrupting event if lawyers get involved.)

I'm soooo frustrated right now and hoping very hard that this guy is what he claims to be and he doesn't start lying or hasn't already been to some seedy Urgent Care already tonight.

Damn. It's really hard to not wonder why she didn't just hang up and dial 911 after I asked her to.

We've already been through something similar where another driver hit me, I waited for over an hour for the cops, her SON showed up, and drove off, making it a hit-and-run, and another 1/2 hour later I gave up on Denver PD, and went home and ordered the 911 tapes where I called four times to see how much longer and keep them apprised of the other person leaving. That ended up "as good as it could have been" in our "no-fault" State because we both had the exact same insurance company, so there was no question who was paying.

She thinks she was at-fault, but after even just I quizzed her (and I don't do this stuff every day, like a professional Police officer does), I already know it happened in one of the most screwed up areas of road in our city, and I can think of a million ways to pull a bump and run scam in a beater car in that location by getting side-swiped. There's a weave lane there and a split in the five regular lanes to go under an underpass where three go to the center and two go around the pillars... it's a freakin' mess there. I regularly almost get hit in those outside lanes since they're also Interstate entrance lanes. The city has been in the throes of trying to figure out how to re-route all the traffic so they can completely tear the bridge down and re-design the mess.

Sigh. I just had to vent to friends... I sure hope this guy's not an ass out looking for a quick path to G'ubmint Cheese and Disability payments and has a sleazy Doc friend on speed dial.

Call me paranoid, but I wish she'd just called the damn cops. It's bad enough when someone tries to screw you and you have evidence to the contrary signed by someone who sees it every day.

She's looked up how to at least file a police report, and in this particular jurisdiction she has to go do it in person. Strike one... if the cops had been called, you wouldn't be wasting a couple of hours of your life standing in line at some bullet-proof-glass counter tomorrow filling out a form.

Argh... richer, poorer, sickness, health, being sane and calling the cops, or deciding some stranger in a car is right and ignoring your husband who loves you and his request that you PLEASE call the cops... so he doesn't lose sleep for the next week.

(Beat head here...) Love that girl to death, but ARGGGGGH!

P.S. Loving husband is also ****ed at himself that he heard the signs in her voice that she was NOT going to call and didn't just ask for her EXACT location and called the damn cops for her. Yeah, I would have done it. And should have. Dumbass me.

P.P.S. I asked if she shot any photos.

"Yeah, they're in your email".

Just looked. Not a single shot of the road, the other vehicle, nothing useful. Just two shots of her own broken bumper and hood.

Damn it. I just don't get it. Here's the checklist I sent her when she called. I even called her back and asked her if she got it...

ure9umat.jpg

Sigh. So annoyed right now. Here's what she took.

sybebeza.jpg

e8umebav.jpg

Useless. Those could be taken anywhere. No context. Just a yellow line so it's a street somewhere in the U.S.

I sure hope her Karma is good today. I really don't want to be dragged into this disaster if it goes sideways, but really don't have a choice.

Oh well, another hug in the morning. I'm glad she's okay, after all. Sigh. Big sigh. I told her I'm on her side, just trying to figure out why...

I guess sometimes there just isn't a reason. Or more likely, she's just way too nice for her own good in these situations. She thinks most folks are as honest and nice as she is.

She also put me through one of these before where it was another driver's fault and she agreed to not call and not even report and the dude handed over cash to fix the car, long ago. Turned out fine but man that was an enormous risk. She just doesn't get it.

I just hope this is not her "life lesson" event. If she keeps doing this, it's going to bite her in the ass really hard sooner or later. Crossing fingers, praying, knocking on wood, whatever right now here...

I do know that if you have a reputable insurance company, they will provide an attorney for you should a personal injury case go to litigation.

I'm pretty sure that in Colorado you are supposed to call the cops. I have, for much less damage than that, even after the guy offered me cash on the spot.

I do know that if you have a reputable insurance company, they will provide an attorney for you should a personal injury case go to litigation.

If the insurance company is the one on the screenshot, Nate has one of the best insurance companies in the country.

This.

Your carrier will provide defense and (up to limits) indemnity.

If the insurance company is the one on the screenshot, Nate has one of the best insurance companies in the country.

They are indeed.

---

Most big-city police agencies will not roll to motor vehicle accidents if no vehicles are disabled and no injuries.

Heh. Silver Jetta. Looks just like the damage to my wife's silver Jetta a couple of years ago. This would be the accident in which the child of the other car's driver was asleep on the back seat and did not wake up, but subsequently made a personal injury claim.

AFter all of this, my first instinct was, "She must have been driving in New Mexico!"
But then, you said the driver was probably insured and licensed and with a valid registration. Wouldn't be New Mexico.

But then, you said the driver was probably insured and licensed and with a valid registration. Wouldn't be New Mexico.

You've never been outside NM have you?

Law >< Reality

Relax!

Turn the info over to the insurance company and call the repair shop. Your insurance is gonna cover it one way nor the other, chill. Get her a nice rental car (insurance pays for it)
Be thankful she was not hurt. 2,500 people died in car crashes the day she had her wreck. That does not include serious injured. Life is too short for couldda, shoulda, woulda

Stop worrying, you'll be fine.

But yes, she should have called the cops.

You better hope she doesn't read PoA.

Actually... She needs to read POA so she can understand Nate's concern...... I am betting the other driver would have blown a .08 or higher and wanted out of there...... ASAP.... he will go home, sleep it off and file a hit and run later today...... Call me paranoid, but for some reason my mind works like Nate's does.

Actually... She needs to read POA so she can understand Nate's concern...... I am betting the other driver would have blown a .08 or higher and wanted out of there...... ASAP.... he will go home, sleep it off and file a hit and run later today...... Call me paranoid, but for some reason my mind works like Nate's does.

lmfao - yeah - that's EXACTLY how most women would interpret this thread. "Oh, my, honey..I totally understand and I made a huge mistake. You're so much smarter than me. Let's have sex"

lmfao - yeah - that's EXACTLY how most women would interpret this thread. "Oh, my, honey..I totally understand and I made a huge mistake. You're so much smarter than me. Let's have sex"

Jesse- you get it, and you are not even married, yet! :lol: :goofy:

Nate, grow up.
She is not a minor and you are not her legal guardian.
She is an adult who made a decision.
The fact that you don't like that decision and are venting here on POA is poor decision making.
Ever think how your posts on here would look in a divorce filing?

Why did you marry such a ninny? :rolleyes:

(Yeah, I think calling the cops would have been the right thing to do. Your reaction and the need to "vent" here ... well. Perhaps you should go have another cigarette.)

Replace damaged hood: $650

Replace Damaged bumper: $550

Replace damaged headlamp: $200

Not having to replace a damaged wife: Priceless.

Hmmmm. I have not seen Nate post all day.. He might be laying out in the back yard with a frying pan wrapped around his head..:eek::hairraise::D

I'm pretty sure that in Colorado you are supposed to call the cops. I have, for much less damage than that, even after the guy offered me cash on the spot.

+1. Personal experience, I called and was glad that I did. The Denver officer said that $1000 is where the reporting requirement starts. Wound up that my car in that case had well over $1000 in damage, so sure glad that I did make an issue of things.

Hmmmm. I have not seen Nate post all day.. He might be laying out in the back yard with a frying pan wrapped around his head..:eek::hairraise::D

you made me think of this cartoon...

images

+1. Personal experience, I called and was glad that I did. The Denver officer said that $1000 is where the reporting requirement starts. Wound up that my car in that case had well over $1000 in damage, so sure glad that I did make an issue of things.
And $1,000 is nothing when it comes to repairing a car... sez the person who had $13,000 worth of hail dents removed this summer.

And $1,000 is nothing when it comes to repairing a car... sez the person who had $13,000 worth of hail dents removed this summer.

Let me guess... That hail storm in early June? I was in Las Vegas, my car was parked at KDEN. :mad2:

Haha. Interesting comments. Dr. O... That's pretty paranoid. We're in this one together, no doubt.

The more I hear, the more I'm sure the dude was drunk... Water under the bridge... But anyway...

No problems yet other than I'll be sitting around here with the broken car on Monday. She had the Adjuster trying to chase a mobile nurse around all day. Ha. Kinda funny. Catch me if you can? ;)

S'ok... will just take dad's Miata out if I need to go anywhere. She doesn't drive stick shifts. Heh. And it loves here at my house ever since he moved onto a dirt road...

Oh darn. Terrible fate for me. Hehe. :)

Enjoyed dinner, lounging in the living room watching The Aviators on the AppleTV. (Hey, an Apple product I haven't yet subjected to advanced drop testing!)

Haha. Interesting comments. Dr. O... That's pretty paranoid. We're in this one together, no doubt.

The more I hear, the more I'm sure the dude was drunk... Water under the bridge... But anyway...

No problems yet other than I'll be sitting around here with the broken car on Monday. She had the Adjuster trying to chase a mobile nurse around all day. Ha. Kinda funny. Catch me if you can? ;)

S'ok... will just take dad's Miata out if I need to go anywhere. She doesn't drive stick shifts. Heh. And it loves here at my house ever since he moved onto a dirt road...

Oh darn. Terrible fate for me. Hehe. :)

Enjoyed dinner, lounging in the living room watching The Aviators on the AppleTV. (Hey, an Apple product I haven't yet subjected to advanced drop testing!)

Good to seeya still vertical......

We need to come over and inventory all the pots and pans..:yes::lol::rofl:

Good to seeya still vertical......

We need to come over and inventory all the pots and pans..:yes::lol::rofl:

Naw, Nate doesn't allow cast iron cookware in the house so he is okay (hard headed b*st*rd).

Back