Oshkosh365.org

Interesting.

This kind of brings up a question: I haven't been to OSH for the past couple of years (since EAA started to join the 21st century technology-wise). Do they have the North 40 covered with WiFi access? HotSpots? Nothing?

Interesting.

This kind of brings up a question: I haven't been to OSH for the past couple of years (since EAA started to join the 21st century technology-wise). Do they have the North 40 covered with WiFi access? HotSpots? Nothing?

Yes, there's WiFi in the North 40 and pretty much everywhere else on the grounds. Unfortunately, it seems to be connected to the rest of the internet via a 1200 baud modem. :frown2:

shoot Oshkosh might as well just be an iphone convention. they need an iphone app with forward looking radar so that it will alert you when something is in front of you so you can look up and avoid it.

only reason i say this is that i think it would take one hell of a wireless internet setup to give everyone on the field a quick connection.

shoot Oshkosh might as well just be an iphone convention. they need an iphone app with forward looking radar so that it will alert you when something is in front of you so you can look up and avoid it.

There were a LOT of iPhones there last year. AT&T got clobbered, and they were pretty much worthless. Hopefully they'll do something to mitigate that problem this year.

only reason i say this is that i think it would take one hell of a wireless internet setup to give everyone on the field a quick connection.

They spent the money on a hell of a setup just to get wireless to everyone on the field - And really, how many people do you think are awake at 3 AM at OSH? It was *still* unusable, even then. :dunno:

There were a LOT of iPhones there last year. AT&T got clobbered, and they were pretty much worthless. Hopefully they'll do something to mitigate that problem this year.

When I worked at T-Mobile, they would actually anticipate such things and put up temporary antennas to help keep up with demand....I can recall it happening in Manhatten for New Years and Phoenix for Gay Pride IIRC.

Seems Oshkosh would be a good place for this to happen too. Might be cool to see all the G1s getting great service while the iPhone clan sits there wishing they had as awesome a phone.

When I worked at T-Mobile, they would actually anticipate such things and put up temporary antennas to help keep up with demand....I can recall it happening in Manhatten for New Years and Phoenix for Gay Pride IIRC.

Seems Oshkosh would be a good place for this to happen too. Might be cool to see all the G1s getting great service while the iPhone clan sits there wishing they had as awesome a phone.

Just because AT&T sucks does not mean the iPhone sucks...

Despite the AT&T issues, I love my phone. However, after the last couple of weeks, I think I'll probably go back to Verizon once the AT&T exclusivity ends. Remind me to short-sell AT&T in about a year and a half...

LOL Steve, Missa, another warbirds volunteer, and I were eagerly staring at the radar on my iPhone thying to determine if those really nasty nearby clouds were gonna rain on us yesterday :D

And yes the WIFI was till pretty good.

Re: Less Rigamarole (?)

Did you have to sign up to view that link I posted?
No, but it implies that you do. All you really need to do is click on the link that says "launch in external player".

I took some vacation time this Tues-Fri, and I drove to and attended AirVenture Tuesday and Wednesday. Since today was a rainy day, I elected to stay home. I'll probably go again on Friday.

My goal today was to finish plowing through my remaining IR test questions, and take a couple practice exams. Well, while it is not conducive to moving through the questions quickly, I have Oshkosh365's "Blue Dot" Runway Cam running behind John and Martha's test questions, so I can "be there" without being there. Pretty cool!

I hope all are enjoying the show today.

A couple of my friends I was with had iPhones with them there this year. AT&T service still sucked. Not only did they not get enough data through to get their WeatherTap app to work at all, they couldn't hold on to voice calls hardly at all either. One bar of RF signal and +95% dropped or failed calls.

My plain old US Cellular phone functioned perfectly fine there.

My Verizon EVDO aircard in my laptop worked fine too.

Didn't even attempt a WiFi connection on my laptop because I knew it would probably be futile to try.

Last edited:
Back