Oshkosh Pictures

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I thought I would start a thread with a collection of Oshkosh pictures showing some of the highlights of our recent trip. We arrived Thursday morning and we were wheels up Sunday morning. I did not spend much time taking pictures but here are a few from the week. I really wanted to meet up with fellow PoA members but did not have time to make rearrangements before I left for oshkosh. We were parked at row 539 north 40 but I did not see any faces/aircraft that looked familiar.

Enjoy the pictures and please add more!

Last edited:
Whoa, wonderful pictures, Chris. Hope you don't mind if I save some of these.

Did anyone see the segment on the Weather Channel last night in which that woman who does the road crew stuff flew with one of the airshow pilots at Oshkosh? They didn't say who he was, but the plane said Air Force on it.

Toby said:

Did anyone see the segment on the Weather Channel last night in which that woman who does the road crew stuff flew with one of the airshow pilots at Oshkosh? They didn't say who he was, but the plane said Air Force on it.
I saw a segment on Saturday as I was passing through the Milwaukee airport in which the chippie flew with Sean Tucker and declared it "not really that scary."

Toby said:

I don't mind at all. If you tell me which ones you want I can send you the full file ~3.3 megs per picture via email so you can print them or do anything you want with them. However, if you send them into a competition and win a million dollars I get 50% of the winnings :D.

Here is one more picture that I took for Dave Taylor...

Ken Ibold said:
I saw a segment on Saturday as I was passing through the Milwaukee airport in which the chippie flew with Sean Tucker and declared it "not really that scary."
I think this plane was blue, but I have trouble with blue so can't be sure. I know what Sean's plane looks like, and this one didn't say Oracle on it. She was wearing a sexy flight suit and she kept screeching when he rolled her over. A real in-depth report, as you would expect!

Here are a couple from the North 40. One is Tom and Diana's campsite -- post-drenching, I'm afraid. The other is Chip's Citabria stuffed to the gills.

EDIT: Chip's airplane is filled with bulky but light items, of course.

Last edited:
Iceman said:
Here is one more picture that I took for Dave Taylor...
Dave, I did not buy N283SV, so you can get your checkbook out again...
Greg

Ken Ibold said:
Here are a couple from the North 40. One is Tom and Diana's campsite -- post-drenching, I'm afraid. The other is Chip's Citabria stuffed to the gills.
Well, I'm glad we didn't pack our Citabria that way. :)

Gee, no one has asked about the back porch screen yet. ;)

Here are a few that we took with our dinky camera. Just sunrises and people stuff. One is Chip and me waving to our friend Bill as he took off on Runway 27 headed home.

Last edited:
OK, folks, I have like 60 pics I was going to post. But I think it would take too much bandwidth to do it like this. How can I do it without causing the dialup folks fits?

Greg Bockelman said:
OK, folks, I have like 60 pics I was going to post. But I think it would take too much bandwidth to do it like this. How can I do it without causing the dialup folks fits?

You need to downsize each of the pictures so that each picture does not take up much room. Do you have photoshop, fireworks, or any other kind of software for images? The way the PoA site is set up people with low speed connections can easily get the thumbnails and enlarge only the photos they want to. I try to have my photos ~20-40kb so that they load fast.

Photoshop, as I understand it, cannot resize more than one pic at a time (someone please correct me and teach me how, if I'm mistaken here) but if you google for image resizer, there are a number of shareware apps out there that can resize a whole group of photos at once.

gkainz said:
Photoshop, as I understand it, cannot resize more than one pic at a time (someone please correct me and teach me how, if I'm mistaken here) but if you google for image resizer, there are a number of shareware apps out there that can resize a whole group of photos at once.

Microsoft has a free, and easy to use, image resizer in the Windows XP power toys:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

You get an option to resize on the menu when you right click the image file.

gkainz said:

The newer versions of photoshop have a lot of capability (tomorrow my photoshop cs2 comes :goofy:) You can make actions in the program that can automatically used on any group of pictures. For instance I could make actions that take 500 pictures in the raw unprocessed format and batch process them to make three copies of each pic and place them in the proper folder. One copy could be sharpened, color corrected, downsized and optimized for viewing on IE. Another copy could be converted to B&W with a simulated red filter bringing out different tones in the picture...etc, etc.

However, I like to go through photo by photo and crop/color correct/heal etc the photo and I resize it before I save it...that may change with cs2 though.

Wow, I love the one of Patty! Good Shot Chris!

Here's a couple of mine.

Not the best but, great for a little sony point and shoot.

Missa

Last edited:
gibbons said:
I'd love to take credit for those photos, but they belong to Chris.

Oops... Chip/Chris... I only got two letters wrong :redface:

I'll fix it.

Missa

gibbons said:
I'd love to take credit for those photos, but they belong to Chris.
Hey Chip, where are your pictures from OSH?

Greg Bockelman said:

Use this to squish the pictures:
http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
It's dirt simple to operate and will do 60 pictures in mere seconds. It saves to a different directory or renames the files if dumping into the same directly - thus does not alter the originals. Warning: If you save to a different directory the file name stays the same so DO NOT copy that back to the orignal directory and if you try that DO NOT say yes when it asks you if it's ok to overwrite existing files.

Unless the picture is something really really really good, keep the files in the 100K-150K. 200K works for small sets of pictures but that's the outer edge of tolerable. For 60 pictures sort through them for the best ones or try for 70K.

Edit: 1024x768 works out to be a good viewing size. Tiny pictures aren't as much fun. Just set to that dimension and reduce quality to 85-95% and the file size usually collapses to sensible. Play with it a little on a sample to see what works best then mass squish.

Thank you for concerning yourself about us slowpokes that would like to see the pictures before the end of the Universe...

Last edited:
Y'all, great pictures.

Greg's pic #41--a C-195 I think. What is that pliable, elastic-looking band around the aft cowling? Tom?

Steve, that is a very nice buccolic setting in that pic. Except for the green algae. Yuck, I've had boats moored in that stuff before and it aint no fun. Several thousand lbs rock salt should clear that up. I know you were up in the plane and only took the shot. But when it says marine or aviation, I'm there.

Richard said:
Y'all, great pictures.

Greg's pic #41--a C-195 I think. What is that pliable, elastic-looking band around the aft cowling? Tom?

It is just a cowl cover. It keeps the accessories from getting wet if it rains. Most notable, if the distributer gets wet, the airplane will not start until it gets dried out. I don't have the cowl cover. I was a bit concerned about whether mine would start after the soaking we got on Monday night, but it started right up. Thankfully.

Back