Oshkosh - 2018

This is the second Oshkosh wedding I've attended. The other was Jim's wife before last (I think, was there another one in there somewhere) up on Compass Hill with the reception back up in the Dorms.

Wife and I got married at OSH 2016. Quick stand-up ceremony in front of P-51D "Lady Alice" (her name), owned by a gentleman from California, Ken Wagner, goes by "Wags." Friend of mine in Cascade Warbirds helped us get hooked up with him. Afterwards, the warbirds guys graciously arranged to use the warbirds tour tram to shuttle our guests to the bus park, where I had a nice charter bus to take the guests to our reception at Brighton Acres, which is right near the Fisk VFR control.

http://www.brightonacres.com/gallery/

Had a lot more non-aviation people that I expected attend it, was really interesting to see their reactions to the Oshkosh experience.

Holy crap, isn't there a TFR during the show? I'm starting to think I could launch a missile against N. Korea from this place and everyone would just say, "Boys will be boys."

All you have to do is say, "My bad brah" and all is forgiven ... no more 709 rides either:confused::confused:;)

All you have to do is say, "My bad brah" and all is forgiven ... no more 709 rides either:confused::confused:;)
We had a photo shoot with a plane that had no radio. It was worked out beforehand and everything was discussed. We would do the photo shoot, then we would land in formation. Not the first time this has been done at OSH. We were inbound on the Prison Approach for 27 and he was at our 7:00 as planned. Then a GlaStar had an accident on the runway where his nosegear buckled. Runway 27 was closed. We reminded the tower our subject plane was no-radio and told them he was low on fuel, but we weren't sure how low since we couldn't talk to him. We did a 360 off the end of 27 and then they told us to enter a right downwind for 36R. We started into the downwind and I looked back to see the subject plane diving for 27. The tower said, "I guess he was lower on fuel than you thought!" We said we guessed so. It scared us, but apparently wasn't a big deal to the tower. Welcome to OSH!!

Here's Oshkosh from my perspective. Most of you know I'm a volunteer there, so I may be biased!

My friend and I flew in his Cessna 170. We flew into Watertown, WI on Friday and it took us 12 hours to make the 9 hour flight. There were some storms as we got close to Indiana. We had a hotel in Watertown since it's right next to the airport. It gives us a chance to rest up after the trip before heading into the chaos. Saturday we woke up to low ceilings and rain in the area, but eventually we made it off and did a little scud running to get in to KOSH. All-in-all, not a bad trip.

Some trams were running on Saturday, so I checked in with the Photo Group, got checked in for camping, etc. I then spent a little time wandering around and getting settled in. As soon as I had my tent setup, it started to rain and of course my rain coat was nice and dry at home. I now have a very nice EAA/VAA raincoat!

The weather was nice other than a morning where ceilings were to low for arrivals, and it stormed Wednesday night, but it was just a typical OSH.

I love going to Oshkosh. They treat me right and I like working for them. Because I have on an EAA vest, people vent to me. The biggest complaints were about the trams. Some were mad that the trams didn't stop and pick them up when they stuck their thumbs out! The trams don't stop everywhere, only at the tram stations. You can't get mad when they don't treat you like you're special. The other complaints were about the South 40. It's a long way from where the last bus stops to the back of the camp. This year it was muddy too. There is no food back there other than a small convenience store, so people felt like they were forgotten. This one I agree with. They need to extend the tram further into that area, but I think the trams are only used on pavement, so it would take some work. I wouldn't want to camp back there.

Cool planes this year. The temps were awesome and I really miss them now that I'm back in Texas in 100+ degree days. The showers were great in the Vintage Camping Area, the same as last year. The trams seemed a little more full this year, but attendance was up, so that makes sense. In a few areas, I notice the port-a-potties had lines of people waiting to get in, but for the most part they seemed to have enough. The food stands had good food and the lines were never very long.

A few of you found me on the flight line and said hello, which was great. I met a few of you at Jay's party, and that will be one of the highlights of the trip. I wish I could have stayed longer and met more of you, but with storms closing in, I had to run. I made it back to camp, put my cameras away and it started to rain! Looking forward to next year and meeting even more of you.

+1 on the South 40 which was also VAC. I walked 17 miles in 2 days

BTW, outside Tall Pines cafe there was a photographer. I called him over and asked if he was the POA Lowflynjack. Of course he was not. Said he was scared of small planes lol

We had a photo shoot with a plane that had no radio. It was worked out beforehand and everything was discussed. We would do the photo shoot, then we would land in formation. Not the first time this has been done at OSH. We were inbound on the Prison Approach for 27 and he was at our 7:00 as planned. Then a GlaStar had an accident on the runway where his nosegear buckled. Runway 27 was closed. We reminded the tower our subject plane was no-radio and told them he was low on fuel, but we weren't sure how low since we couldn't talk to him. We did a 360 off the end of 27 and then they told us to enter a right downwind for 36R. We started into the downwind and I looked back to see the subject plane diving for 27. The tower said, "I guess he was lower on fuel than you thought!" We said we guessed so. It scared us, but apparently wasn't a big deal to the tower. Welcome to OSH!!

Ya know, I get it. Some people like to fly vintage planes with no radio. That's fine but if you're going to fly around a gazillion people and a gazillion planes knowing full well that the pattern will be congested, buy a freaking hand held at least.

Don't be a pain in the ass on purpose.

Ya know, I get it. Some people like to fly vintage planes with no radio. That's fine but if you're going to fly around a gazillion people and a gazillion planes knowing full well that the pattern will be congested, buy a freaking hand held at least.

You are more kind than me. :)

As far as I'm concerned, a radio should be required in 2018. Good quality handhelds are dirt cheap and there is no excuse to not fly with one.

You are more kind than me. :)

As far as I'm concerned, a radio should be required in 2018. Good quality handhelds are dirt cheap and there is no excuse to not fly with one.
I've been saying this since the 1990s, to no avail.

Conversely, I'm actually impressed that the FAA still allows NORDO into OSH, in today's crazy litigious world.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I agree. NORDO is just plain stupid and unsafe!! Period end of story

We had a photo shoot with a plane that had no radio.... "I guess he was lower on fuel than you thought!" We said we guessed so. It scared us, but apparently wasn't a big deal to the tower. Welcome to OSH!!

This would make a great magazine story, or a book with the experiences you've had Jack ... ought to consider it.

Last edited:
This would make a great magazine story, or a book with a the experiences you've had Jack ... ought to consider it.
I’ve got some stories for sure! I’m trying to work out a deal where I take the photos and write the stories. Returning airshow star and a very unique aircraft being returned to service. We’ll see!

I saw two land during the show on runway 9 on Saturday a few minutes after 5. I turned my handheld on just in time to hear one of them trying to raise the tower. Not sure what happened there.

The Oshkosh North 40, as photographed yesterday by my friend Ryan Wubben.

It looks so forlorn and empty. You can still see the outline of the airplanes and tents. I can see our campsite in Row 509.

Guess I can cut off my wristband now... *sigh*
0ed2291a676c15a721cd916ce587bd79.jpg

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I have a question. People who fly them say helicopters are as safe as airplanes. Where is the vintage helicopter section at Oshkosh?

Jim
Over at Pioneer field along with the non-vintage helicopter (save a few in the UL area). EAA is not particularly rotorcraft friendly (despite selling large amounts of real estate at show center to HAI).

Back