Oshkosh 2006

mpartovi

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mpartovi
Hey all,

I've been planning on going to Oshkosh for the past 4 years...and every year...something comes up...well...NOT THIS YEAR!!! Im gonna go if it means planning it out now.

So that being said, I want some opinions from experienced "attendees."

Ok...so i would love to fly in...but I've heard its a "challenge" if you've never gone in with someone experienced with airventure...so Im gonna rule that one out for my first year.

I wouldn't mind camping at the airport...but then again the people Im going with didn't jump on the idea...(i can be convincing though).

So...any tips on camping on the field??? or any choices in hotels/motels around the area? Any tips on camping security (leaving your tent)? Unfortunetly, we only plan on spending maybe 3 days.

Anything in general would be appreciated.

mpartovi said:
Hey all,

I've been planning on going to Oshkosh for the past 4 years...and every year...something comes up...well...NOT THIS YEAR!!! Im gonna go if it means planning it out now.

So that being said, I want some opinions from experienced "attendees."

Ok...so i would love to fly in...but I've heard its a "challenge" if you've never gone in with someone experienced with airventure...so Im gonna rule that one out for my first year.

I wouldn't mind camping at the airport...but then again the people Im going with didn't jump on the idea...(i can be convincing though).

So...any tips on camping on the field??? or any choices in hotels/motels around the area? Any tips on camping security (leaving your tent)? Unfortunetly, we only plan on spending maybe 3 days.

Anything in general would be appreciated.

First "flying in" isn't really all that tough for a first timer, especially if you are comfortable in your airplane and it has pretty good visibility. This is especially true if the weather is good VMC. If you're still concerned you can fly to Appleton or Fond du Lac and take a shuttle bus or rental car to OSH. The biggest issue flying into OSH is that sometimes the parking gets filled quickly and you simply can't land.

I can't tell you much about lodging since I've never had to arrange that, but I would say to get your reservations now if you want anything reasonably close, even for camping. There is one hotel right on the field (as far from the show as you can get though) and many more in town with shuttle service. Another option would be to fly to Madison or somewhere else nearby and rent a motorhome to drive to OSH and stay in one of the RV parks there.

Three days is almost enough to take in the entire event, although I don't know if I could take the crowds and heat for that much time. YRMV. Try to plan at least part of one day for the museum and check the presentation schedule well in advance so you can plan the rest of your time around them. It can also take the better part of one day to peruse the exhibitor displays and fly market where you can often find some great deals on stuff.

We have pretty much decided not try to my first time flying in this year. I suggest you don't do it until you know what you're in for. That said, Phil Kriley did it within months of earning his PPL is his plane.

I've flown in as part of a mass 15 plane Piper flight but we had the runway to ourselves for a few minutes. Come to think of it, if I could have survived that, the normal procedure is a piece of cake.

The main thing is we live close enough that driving only takes about 2 1/2 hours - maybe one more hour for you - and then we have car to use for free. Driving saves money.

You'll want to call motels in Fond Du Lac or Appleton NOW!!! Each is 22-26 miles north or south. Expect a lot of shutdowns. The Exel Inn in Appleton was very nice and reasonable last year and when I checked just a couple weeks back was available.

mpartovi said:
I had no more than 50 hours and my PPL for about a month when I flew to AirVenture 05. I had no problems with it. It's pretty simple as long as you just take it easy and jump in the line with everyone else.

I wouldn't completely rule out flying in. Have you looked at the NOTAM and arrival procedures? They've made it pretty simple.

When I went I camped with the airplane. I wasn't prepared at all for the camp and got my #@@$ kicked by a storm. You are going to want to bring a decent amount of clothes and keep them seperated. That way if one bunch gets wet you aren't in too much trouble. It seems you can almost expect a thunderstorm to come through when you are there. You are going to want a decent tent that won't disapoint you. My Wal-Mart job didn't quite work so well.

I wrote about my flight to Oshkosh on my website. The address is: http://www.jesseangell.com/flights/airventure05.php

I fly in to and stay at Fond du Lac. I use a rental car to drive back and forth to the air show. FLD allows me to reserve hard surface parking and I can flyour during the OSH air show with much less traffic than early in the day and after the show.

I renew my hotel every year and call for parking and a car in February.

mpartovi said:

If you can find a town, follow the one and only railroad track leading out of town from the NW side, maintain 90 kts, and resist talking on the radio, you can fly into AirVenture, no problem.

So...any tips on camping on the field???

Bring a tent that can withstand high winds and/or heavy rain (IOW, a strong thunderstorm). Ice, grocery supplies, and other necessities are available on field, within walking distance, and/or via free shuttle bus along the Hwy 41 frontage road. Showers/washrooms are available near the camping areas.

or any choices in hotels/motels around the area?

You needed to place your reservation 5+ years ago for a room in Oshkosh this year. The hotel Lance mentioned (Hilton Gardens) is booked by EAA--forget a room there no matter how far in advance you wanted to try for a reservation.

If you want a bed and air conditioning consider staying in a local house (many folks rent rooms). See the EAA/AirVenture website for housing information.

Any tips on camping security (leaving your tent)?

Y'all from the big city, are you?

Seriously, it isn't a problem. None. Leave whatever you want totally unattended for as long as you want--it will be there when you return.

Steve said:
(I do think the Ripon Arrival is from the SW, though :) )

It is but Ed said correctly that you follow the tracks from the NW side of the town towards OSH.

Like I said, I've never even tried to find motel accomodations there. My folks used to drive their Motorhome over from Michigan so I could always stay with them. These days I rarely have more than a day to spare so I'm usually in and out on the same day. Last time I went I stayed at my boss's sister's house in Oshkosh (that was sweet).

Well i'm planning on flying in on Friday Morning and leaving Sunday, if you want to bring a tent your welcome to set it up near my plane thats where i'm staying. Email me and we'll set something up Dave G
gaiski@comcast.net

lancefisher said:
It is but Ed said correctly that you follow the tracks from the NW side of the town towards OSH.

Actually, my memory did indeed fail me slightly. The tracks leave Ripon from the NE side, not the NW side.

Ed Guthrie said:
Actually, my memory did indeed fail me slightly. The tracks leave Ripon from the NE side, not the NW side.

Cripes, I'm getting magnetically dyslexic.

Ed Guthrie said:
Bring a tent that can withstand high winds and/or heavy rain (IOW, a strong thunderstorm).

Diana and Tom Richards really helped me out last year (my first OSH camping experience). DO NOT underestimate the potential for wind, rain, heat, and (believe it or not) the cold.

Ed Guthrie said:
The hotel Lance mentioned (Hilton Gardens) is booked by EAA--forget a room there no matter how far in advance you wanted to try for a reservation.

Am I the only one who has a big problem with this? They spend my dues money to block all the rooms in a nice hotel so I can't get a room, then give the rooms to their buddies. It just doesn't seem right.

The stuff of future hangar flying, the "OshKosh experience"...

I'm not privy to all the info at EAA HQ, but I'm pretty sure those rooms at the Hilton are made by/for the big sponsors of Airventure, Ford, John Deere, Eclipse, etc., that make a considerable contribution to the operating costs of the "convention". I think Jack Rousch hands EAA a check in the neighborhood of 7 figures each year as part of the Ford underwriting.

I could be wrong.

gibbons said:
Diana and Tom Richards really helped me out last year (my first OSH camping experience). DO NOT underestimate the potential for wind, rain, heat, and (believe it or not) the cold.

Am I the only one who has a big problem with this? They spend my dues money to block all the rooms in a nice hotel so I can't get a room, then give the rooms to their buddies. It just doesn't seem right.

Back