OSH Stop -- Iowa City, IA (KIOW) for free food and drink!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Just a reminder, folks, that we will be hosting our 8th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party at the Alexis Park Inn & Suites in Iowa City, IA this coming Saturday, 7/24/10, for all the pilots streaming into the Oshkosh area from the Southwest!

See it here: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm

We will be serving food and drink at poolside starting at 3 PM, and running until God-knows-when, as always. Whether you want to spend the night, or just stop for gas, we will be there for you!

And, yes, it looks like Mary and I will actually be there, flying up from our new motel on Mustang Island, Texas. If all goes according to plan (ha!) we will be attending our 30th consecutive Oshkosh fly-in, thanks to some life-saving, last second hiring! Woo hoo!

On Sunday, at 10 AM we will "lead the pack" from Iowa City into the FISK approach, which is an easy 75-minute flight from KIOW. Best of all, a direct flight from KIOW to KOSH means that you never deviate more than a few degrees to enter the FISK approach over RIPON.

For those who have never done the approach before, this offers you a huge advantage over those who are coming from all other points on the compass. Making that turn over RIPON to follow the tracks is always a bit hair-raising, especially when things get busy, so to be able to come at it in a straight line removes a major stress inducement.

By the way everyone -- READ THE NOTAM. Let me say that again: READ THE NOTAM. And once again: READ THE NOTAM. It can be downloaded at the EAA website.

One last thing: If everything holds together at the motels, we will be in the North 40 through Thursday, which means our usual Wednesday night get-together is ON. Hope to see y'all there! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing you Jay. I'll be at the North 40 as well, in amongst the Cherokees. We're supposed to leave tonight if the weather holds.

I look forward to seeing you Jay. I'll be at the North 40 as well, in amongst the Cherokees. We're supposed to leave tonight if the weather holds.

Good luck. This elongated, coast-to-coast occluded front is training low pressure systems one after another, right over Wisconsin. I just read that EAA is having to park early arrivals in the N40 with gators, due to the soggy ground.

OSH is gonna need some dry, hot, windy weather in the next few days, or parking the mass arrivals next weekend is going to be "interesting"...

Tonight we're off to Waupaca for some formation training activities. We hit the show en masse and in trail on Friday, so we'll be there (hopefully) when you get there on Sunday. Glad you'll be able to make it. I'm teaching airplanes and selling books, my schedule can be found in a pretty easy search.

Tonight we're off to Waupaca for some formation training activities. We hit the show en masse and in trail on Friday, so we'll be there (hopefully) when you get there on Sunday. Glad you'll be able to make it. I'm teaching airplanes and selling books, my schedule can be found in a pretty easy search.

Will you have a booth, and -- if so -- where will it be?

Will you have a booth, and -- if so -- where will it be?
Well, I know he's in the Author's Corner at the Wearhouse a couple of times, and I expect he'll have plenty of his books there. Don't think he has a separate booth, though. Michael, please correct me if I'm wrong.

i wont be at OSH til wed morning... so I'll likely overnight next to the wing at IOW. Solely b/c of this post and I'll see if anyone is around to say hi to.

Hi Jay,

Very glad to hear that you are getting to go to OSH ! Hope you and Mary have a great time.

J

Jay ...

If you really think they do some good, I'll update the NOTAM (RST Mod 1) with this year's changes and put it up on the website for download.

Jim & Gail

Jay ...

If you really think they do some good, I'll update the NOTAM (RST Mod 1) with this year's changes and put it up on the website for download.

Jim & Gail

It ALWAYS does good, Jim! Your version always trumps EAA's...

AND, BTW -- THE POOL PARTY IS "GO" FOR 3 PM TODAY. Mary and I flew into Iowa City late yesterday afternoon, after a nice, uneventful 6-hour flight from Texas, and we are READY TO PARTY!

It starts at 3 PM today. Anyone interested in seeing the site of Jim's 2005 cannonball into the pool, we will be conducting tours at poolside... (The damage done wasn't structural...) :cheerswine:

If you're flying in, have the FBO give us a jingle, and we'll come fetch you.

Then, tomorrow morning we are still planning to fly into OSH. This year the motto shall be "COME HELL OR HIGH WATER"!

I grew up in northern Iowa, wish I was joining you all at KIOW and Osh! Maybe next year I'll take the little one. Hope everyone has a blast!

Tony

And where will you all be? I may just have to call you.

It ALWAYS does good, Jim! Your version always trumps EAA's...

AND, BTW -- THE POOL PARTY IS "GO" FOR 3 PM TODAY. Mary and I flew into Iowa City late yesterday afternoon, after a nice, uneventful 6-hour flight from Texas, and we are READY TO PARTY!

It starts at 3 PM today. Anyone interested in seeing the site of Jim's 2005 cannonball into the pool, we will be conducting tours at poolside... (The damage done wasn't structural...) :cheerswine:

If you're flying in, have the FBO give us a jingle, and we'll come fetch you.

Then, tomorrow morning we are still planning to fly into OSH. This year the motto shall be "COME HELL OR HIGH WATER"!

Back