OSH & LS Zulu - favor?

alindsay

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Allan
I was hoping someone at OSH could help me out? I'm looking for a set of LS Zulus and can order them online but thought I would drive up next week if they are for sale and available at OSH.

If you see any actually for sale and not just being demo'ed, I would appreciate you letting me know. Also wonder if there are any price breaks because of OSH? (I doubt it)

Thank you,

Allan Lindsay

I was hoping someone at OSH could help me out? I'm looking for a set of LS Zulus and can order them online but thought I would drive up next week if they are for sale and available at OSH.

If you see any actually for sale and not just being demo'ed, I would appreciate you letting me know. Also wonder if there are any price breaks because of OSH? (I doubt it)

Thank you,

Allan Lindsay

send me your cell phone and I'll give you a call (I'm there on Thursday-Sunday)

Thank you,

Allan Lindsay

You can always buy at Oshkosh from many vendors like Aircraft Spruce, * Coast Avionics, and American Avionics. They may sell out of hot new Garmins but they usually have them early in the week.

You can always buy at Oshkosh from many vendors like Aircraft Spruce, * Coast Avionics, and American Avionics. They may sell out of hot new Garmins but they usually have them early in the week.

Yeah, if there WERE any hot new Garmins. :mad:

The hot new Garmins this year are the G600 PFD/MFD. A good deal for older aircraft, though, like getting a new kitchen, you typically don't get your investment back in resale value.

The hot new Garmins this year are the G600 PFD/MFD. A good deal for older aircraft, though, like getting a new kitchen, you typically don't get your investment back in resale value.
Well, certainly not designed for the renter!:no:

Nope. I'm going to look at the B/K AV8OR GPS and find out how much the XM WX add-on is for it. I bet it's not gonna be much cheaper than the 496, but we'll see.

Well, I'm here. I guess I will check them out. Zulu seems like the main buzz here. That and the lower turnout. "fuel prices, no doubt."
ApacheBob

Well, I'm here. I guess I will check them out. Zulu seems like the main buzz here. That and the lower turnout. "fuel prices, no doubt."
ApacheBob

Thanks, if you find some in stock, let me know where and I'll probably drive up.

Anyone know what time the vendor tents close down? 8 pm?

Thanks, if you find some in stock, let me know where and I'll probably drive up.

No, it shuts down about at the end of the air show, IIRC.

In line with the thread, is anyone there doing instant upgrades from the LS Thirty 3G to Zulu? If so, I'll bring them with me.

They are not doing the trade in (at least according to LightSpeed) I registered to trade in my 303G when they first announced the program, but it was pushed back until September, since they had some manufacturing problems with the Zulu. They said no trade ins at OSH.

They are not doing the trade in (at least according to LightSpeed) I registered to trade in my 303G when they first announced the program, but it was pushed back until September, since they had some manufacturing problems with the Zulu. They said no trade ins at OSH.
Thanks. That might also explain the probs Leslie had with her Zulu. Haven't had a chance to test the repairs yet!

I tried on the Zulus at AirVenture. While I am a dinosaur David Clark-kind of guy, I was really impressed with the comfort and the ANR effect - assuming the fake airplane noise they use to demonstrate the ANR is of similar frequencies of what you might hear in an airplane.

The Zulu tent doesn't sell any - they just send you to any of the distributors that are there.

I tried on the Zulus at AirVenture. While I am a dinosaur David Clark-kind of guy, I was really impressed with the comfort and the ANR effect - assuming the fake airplane noise they use to demonstrate the ANR is of similar frequencies of what you might hear in an airplane.

I'm happy to report the Zulus do a wonderful job in a real aircraft. All I hear from the engine is the mechanical clatter - none of the roar at all. The light weight and other electronic features are kinda nice too. Are they worth the 0.8 AMU? Dunno but they sure are nice.

Nope. I'm going to look at the B/K AV8OR GPS and find out how much the XM WX add-on is for it. I bet it's not gonna be much cheaper than the 496, but we'll see.

Do please report back on that, Tim- I am very impressed with the apparent value of the Av8or (XM add-on about $400-ish), but as is so often teh case, reality may be very different.

Let us know how bright the screen is, how usable it is with the touch screen (does it require the stylus?), etc.

Also, anything at all like taxi diagrams (assumed no, because they have not bragged about 'em).

A friend who was with me at OSH yesterday was impressed enough with the Zulu that he's ordering upgrades for his Thirty 3G and his 20XL.

I've been flying with a set of Zulu's since last autumn. They're very good. I've even tested them side-by-side with the Bose on a two hour X-C flight in a friend's plane. IMHO, they're both equally comfortable. The Bose may be built a little more durable, but the Zulu's sound much cleaner when playing music thru them. The ANR capabilities of both are roughly equal, but they do sound quite different from each other for regular aircraft use without music. The bluetooth wireless interface for cellphone connectivity is awesome.

If I owned neither and was ready to shell out almost 1 AMU for a headset, The Zulu would still get my money due to the better music quality plus the bluetooth cellphone interface even if the ANR and overall sound quality of the Bose was significantly greater over the Zulu.

Don't expect any reseller to discount the Zulu yet. They're still selling all the shipments they can receive, and at full retail price too. I found out at the Lightspeed booth at Oshkosh earlier this past week that the trade-up program prices have increased too. The 15XL trade-up price due to come into effect in Q4 2008 has already increased another $50 above what it was originally announced a couple months ago. I've got a bad feeling that once their Q4 gets here (October?) and they begin actually taking old 15XLs as trade-ins that I can probably expect to pay even more for the trade-up.

That's the second year in a row, right?

Yeah. Ironically enough, when they introduced the 496, I saw a guy complaining at the Garmin booth that he hadn't had his 396 very long. The Garmin rep's words were "What do we do EVERY year at Oshkosh? Come out with a new handheld. You should have known that." So now they've let me down twice. :mad:

The hot new Garmins this year are the G600 PFD/MFD.

Bah. I thought they were really cool when they came out, but the Aspen system is WAY cooler - And "hot new" generally doesn't apply to something that was announced two years ago. That's called "vaporware."

Actually, the whole package costs about half what the 496 costs. Garmin needs to make a move, and FAST, before they lose a massive chunk of market share.

Huh? Buzz about lower turnout? I not only didn't hear anyone say a thing of that sort, but my impression of the turnout of GA airplanes in the north 40 is that it was the same as last year. Last year I was in row 574, this year I was in 580. Given that there were some small areas blocked off this year due to soft ground, I put that about equal.

No, it shuts down about at the end of the air show, IIRC.

Not even that - The exhibit hangars close their doors at 5 PM, and stop letting people in about 15 minutes prior to that. Most of the in/out setups (Garmin, Lightspeed, etc. that have an indoor booth linked to an outdoor tent) close then as well. The airplane manufacturers may stay open a little later at their own discretion, but most don't last much past 5. The airshow, however, lasts until 6 or even a little after except for Sunday.

Do please report back on that, Tim- I am very impressed with the apparent value of the Av8or (XM add-on about $400-ish), but as is so often teh case, reality may be very different.

Let us know how bright the screen is, how usable it is with the touch screen (does it require the stylus?), etc.

Also, anything at all like taxi diagrams (assumed no, because they have not bragged about 'em).

Looks like the total package will cost about 1/2 what the 496 will. Touch screen is a BIG improvement, but no multi-touch: There's still zoom buttons depicted on-screen. The neatest thing is that you can display ALL the data fields, and they're in a movable tape down the left side so you can easily slide to the one(s) you want to see. The order of the data fields is configurable to facilitate that.

The interface seems to be a bit dumbed-down - It doesn't show you EVERYTHING with a single tap, you have to kind of navigate to get the details. I also don't like the whole two-box idea - Ick. More wires running everywhere.

Apparently there were a lot of iPhone owners checking it out - Trying to swipe to switch screens, pinch to zoom, etc. :rofl:

Seems pretty cool, but I didn't check out the auto features, adding/removing content, etc. Oh yeah - You can play MP3's and movies on it. Some guy bought 5 of them the first day - One with the weather box, the rest for the kids to watch movies on.

I won't be buying it any time soon - I'll wait for Garmin's response. And it better freakin' be good. I want my touchscreen (which I was asking for long before this King box), and a remote, and a faster processor (screen redraws on the map page of the 496 are painfully slow), and a reasonable price tag (ie, do all of the above in a single box and for $1500). Then I'll buy it.

picky picky kent :)

i think im going to get on the list for a zulu upgrade. my 30-3Gs have served me faithfully for 1000 hrs.

I didn't get to OSH but I did get my Zulu's today from Sporty's. Can't wait to go out tomorrow afternoon to try them out.

I made a couple of test calls from my iPhone tonight and the sound is good. Love the BT. The Zulu's do mess with your ears when I was trying them out here at home. From other Red Board posts, that feeling should go away once I get in the plane (I hope so).

Allan

I didn't get to OSH but I did get my Zulu's today from Sporty's. Can't wait to go out tomorrow afternoon to try them out.

I made a couple of test calls from my iPhone tonight and the sound is good. Love the BT. The Zulu's do mess with your ears when I was trying them out here at home. From other Red Board posts, that feeling should go away once I get in the plane (I hope so).

Allan

How do they mess with your ears, Allan? I'm thinking about getting a pair.

At home without being plugged in, there is a weird feeling. I'm sure it is the ANR and once I get in the plane all will be fine.

I just tried them plugged into my home wired phone and the feeling wasn't as bad so I suspect they will work as advertised in the plane.

I like the feel on my head and they cover my ears better than BOSE. My ear lobes stick out when using the Bose and the Zulu's cover them. Can you just visualize that? :D I used to think my Grandpa had big ears..now I know where mine came from - ha.

Allan

Allan

The sound from your end is good, the sound from the receivers end while the plane is flying is "what!? Say Again!? Are you standing next to a woodchipper or something?" It would be nice if they figure out how to apply the ANR to the mic as well.

The sound from your end is good, the sound from the receivers end while the plane is flying is "what!? Say Again!? Are you standing next to a woodchipper or something?" It would be nice if they figure out how to apply the ANR to the mic as well.

Not my experience with the Zulu and bluetooth cellphone calls.

The party at the other end of the cellphone conversation cannot hear my engine or prop noise at all, just my voice. The Zulu's microphone has some kind of noise canceling in it as well.

I've gotten calls from friends using the Lightspeed 3G cellphone interface, and couldn't tell the engine was running, even though he was doing the run up at the time. Those mics are very directional.

The Zulu's microphone has some kind of noise canceling in it as well.
It is a noise canceling microphone. All of the aviation headsets have a noise cancelling type of microphone. It has been around for ages.

On normal microphones audio pressure waves hit a diaphragm that through a mechanical to electrical conversion will send the sound energy into the radio. I am not going to bore people with how microphones work or the differences between dynamic, carbon, electrec, etc. microphones.

In a noise canceling microphone sound energy can hit the diaphragm from two different directions. The idea being that the noise in the cockpit is non-directional. It therefore hits both sides of the diaphragm at the same time and cancels each other out mechanically. When you speak it is very directional and the sound energy of your voice only hits one side of the diaphragm and the microphone works fine.

This technique was in WW2 airplane microphones so it is really nothing new at all.

If you look at your headset mike you will likely see 'vents' on both sides of the mike. One side is for your voice and noise, the other side is just to let in the noise.

There are digital noise suppression systems for microphones but I am unaware of any aviation headest that employs them.

Not my experience with the Zulu and bluetooth cellphone calls.

The party at the other end of the cellphone conversation cannot hear my engine or prop noise at all, just my voice. The Zulu's microphone has some kind of noise canceling in it as well.

Then I'll tell my buddy to have his checked out then, because it's noisy as all hell when he calls from a 152, could be the vent air blowing on the mic.

Then I'll tell my buddy to have his checked out then, because it's noisy as all hell when he calls from a 152, could be the vent air blowing on the mic.
That was a huge problem while teaching students who used only passive headsets. It won't be any less with an ANR set if the vent is hitting the mic. I had to turn it away from the student's face more than a few times just so I could hear myself think let alone be sure the student is hearing me when he needs to.

Back