Oregon trip was fun!

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
Just back from taking my dad flying up to Corvallis, Oregon my longest XC trip yet. The coast was IFR so we stayed in Corvallis.

Routed KRHV-KOVE-S03-KCVO there in the Piper Arrow about 5 hrs
Flew back KCVO-KRDD-KOVE-KRHV

Nice flyby photo below of Mount Shasta!

It was bumpy flying back but is followed I5 to avoid terrain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 66
That's great! Did you land anywhere besides Corvallis and San Jose?

Thanks yes, I landed at Ashland airport for refueling on the way to Oregon and Redding airport and Oroville on the trip back. Ashland airport S03 was a bit tricky with the higher density altitude and short runway after coming across the mountains. But my previous mountain checkout to Truckee and Lake Tahoe were good preparation so I didn't have issues landing except the climb rate at takeoff from Ashland was very slow rate of climb in the Arrow. This was my longest trip as a new pilot so I'm looking forward to the New Mexico trip next.

Once I'm back at the computer will upload more pics here's one of the lava beds in Oregon for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 44
I always enjoy flying in Oregon and Washington, and hope to get up there at some point this summer.

Nice job. Cross countries are no big deal once you realize as much. Can't wait to read about your New Mexico trip. BTW that Crater Lake German Pancake really got my attention. Was it good? And you got it at Redding?

Thanks guys, yeah it was easier flying long trip than expected and planning was easy.
I had the Crater Lake German Pancake in Corvallis, Oregon at Elmer's restaurant next to Days Inn where I crashed for the night. It was tasty! Best of all it kept my blood sugar stable and good to fly the distance back to California. Prices are a lot lower in Oregon than California which is nice for food and lodging.

--Ben
My Aviation Blog: http://pilotandscuba.blogspot.com/

Dang! I seen you and your airplane at OVE (my home ) while you were there. I seen the pic in your blog you took on the ramp there..

Last edited:
Cool small world! Is that a Cherokee Six that you fly out of OVE? The Arrow is ok but slow for a retract and climb rate a real dog. I prefer the 182 and Bonanza level of performance.

No I fly a Cherokee 140. Today we climbed out with 36gal fuel my wife and I getting 600fpm with the DA at 2800.., it's a strong little bird!

Nice do you have the 180HP upgrade for your Cherokee 140? I'm flying an Arrow and 182 these days until I buy my own plane. The DA was quite high this week coming and leaving OVE so I'm glad the Arrow has at least 200HP. I'm realizing out here west having 250+ HP and turbo charging would be helpful with all the mountains here.

Thanks yes, I landed at Ashland airport for refueling on the way to Oregon and Redding airport and Oroville on the trip back. Ashland airport S03 was a bit tricky with the higher density altitude and short runway after coming across the mountains. But my previous mountain checkout to Truckee and Lake Tahoe were good preparation so I didn't have issues landing except the climb rate at takeoff from Ashland was very slow rate of climb in the Arrow. This was my longest trip as a new pilot so I'm looking forward to the New Mexico trip next.

The density altitude in New Mexico will make Ashland look like a piece of cake. I used to live in Albuquerque, and the density altitude can be over 9,000' in the heat of the day all summer. The thermals over new Mexico can also be a real bear for turbulence. It is best to plan your flights to start and end in the early morning, or the evening, avoiding the hottest and most turbulent part of the day.

The density altitude in New Mexico will make Ashland look like a piece of cake. I used to live in Albuquerque, and the density altitude can be over 9,000' in the heat of the day all summer. The thermals over new Mexico can also be a real bear for turbulence. It is best to plan your flights to start and end in the early morning, or the evening, avoiding the hottest and most turbulent part of the day.

I will agree. I live in northwest New Mexico and the last few days the DA has been averaging 9500. On the 4th we had many small thunderstorms and rain showers in the area, much, much needed rain showers, which cooled the temps. But they were easily circumnavagatable. (is that a word?)

As suggested above, plan your flights early. I suggest watching the sun rise while at cruise altitude. ABQ Sunport, Cutter Aviation is a good place to stop. Sante Fe, Jet center is a good place to stop. Farmington, KFMN is a decent place to stop. Gallup GUP is a decent place to stop, new managers at the FBO are good folks. All of the runways on the reservations have no services at all but make good emergency runways. The air does get very bumpy after noonish. And the field elevations are all above 5500 feet, so plan to lean for take off, and as stated before, watch density altitudes. In Gallup right now 05 July 9:36 am and the DA is 8000 ft. Temp 68f.

Most importantly, have fun..!!! And pictures..!!!

Last edited:
Thanks I'm planning for early 6am departures from RHV to New Mexico to get there earlier to avoid turbulence, DA and WX issues. I'll fly something like the 182 with more power on the trip.

Back