Options for internet access in the boonies

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
As our Hughes satellite equipment is aging, and we are, and always have been unhappy with Hughes/Direcway satellite service, we are exploring alternate ways to get on the internet. So, I thought I'd ask my computer/internet gurus here. As most of you already know from my history of posting here and/or your time visiting with us at the farm....Tom and I are basically clueless about stuff like this. :redface: So, please type slow and be patient. :)

We can not get cable or DSL and those will never be available here on the farm.

We typically get 3 out of 5 bars for the 3G signal here at the farm on our iPhones with AT&T. Our two desktop computers (we want to keep using these) do not have wireless capability and are in two different parts of the house. We don't want to buy a whole lot of equipment and like the idea of using something like AT&T's Mobile Hotspot. Someone suggested that to be able to use ethernet cable from our desktops, we could get a wireless range extender like the Belkin Wireless Range Extender. We don't download movies or anything huge, and the 5GB limit would work okay for us. If we go over 5GB a month, then the occasional additional $10 fee wouldn't be a problem for us.

If we go with something like the Mobile Hotspot, we can take it with us when we move off the farm someday.

So, what do you all think? Would the Mobile Hotspot work with the range extender? What might work better given our circumstances?

Thanks!

Last edited:
In your place, I would not bother with the range extender. It costs money and is likely to add issues to already-tricky WiFi. A range extender is either for people who a) do not know what they are doing and are desperate, or b) people who rip it apart and use innards for hacking. Instead, I would replace the Huges bridge with a cellphone with a data plan, keep all the old cabling and addressing. The "AT&T Mobile Hotspot" is just that, only packaged for people who are afraid of technology. However, in order to use it, you either have to supply a router (with USB connectivity), or use WiFi. Sprint used to do one better, by packaging a cell data card into a box with a router. I would investigate Sprint's offerings instead of AT&T first.

-- Pete

Going from wireless Wifi to ethernet is fairly easy with a few devices called wireless bridge.
There is no point whatsoever. They already have perfectly good Ethernet reaching all computers. The WiFi only came into the picture because, in their infinite wisdom, folks at AT&T deigned Ethernet unnecessary in that little "Mobile Hotspot" thing (however, it has USB and is compatible with Linux, e.g. uses CDC Class interface, probably can be plugged into the same computer where Huges box is).

Diana,

I have Hughes, their 2mb package. As you say, it sucks, and it's expensive ($100/mo). IF we had cell service at the farm (which we don't) I'd be using my verizon droid phone tethered to the computers for internet access. This is what I do on the road and it works great. It's far faster than any satellite connection. It was only $10 to download "easy tether" and I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so it would basically be like have free access at home.

The only issue is (it's my understanding) that none of the cell companies offer unlimited data anymore. I heard that Verizon quit just a few months ago, so that's no longer an option if true (but those of us who already had unlimited data with Verizon get to keep it). I also heard that Sprint slows you down bigtime after you hit use a certain amount. I'm sure others here can speak to this with more authority.

A great solution though would be if you could get an unlimited data plan on your cell phones and tether your computers. I also understand that you can't tether if you're with certain companies (AT&T) but I don't know the specifics as to why.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for years in my Mobile Command Center, my emergency management truck, and in the Emergency Operations Center as backup for a fiber cut to the building.

In the Mobile Command Center: http://3gstore.com/product/1196_cradlepoint_mbr1200.html
There are 9 ethernet PCs and two networked printers in the vehicle. This plugs into the 24 port switch, and distributes the internet connection to anything and everything in the truck. Plus, I have three USB aircards on it, and it load balances between them, plus fails over automatically if one or more don't have signal. Plus it throws up a WiFi cloud.

For your use, you could use the next item in the same fashion as the one above, you probably don't need multiple ports and failover capability.

In my truck: http://3gstore.com/product/2736_cradlepoint_ctr35.html
So basically, exactly what you were describing for the house is what I did with this in my Mobile Command Center. You plug the USB air card card into this router. You can connect it to an ethernet switch (this was the first one the Mobile Command Center, but we needed more USB ports and upgraded to the 1200 above).
It will also toss up a WiFi cloud, so anything needing a WiFi connection can get on it as well (guests with Ipads, laptops, whatever).

To increase signal strength, I carry one of these in my truck:
http://3gstore.com/product/2279_booster-antenna.html
It looks hokey, but the antenna in USB devices is tiny and has terrible gain. This is a higher gain, external antenna to improve signal strength.
I used this on a wildfire to pump up the signal strength from 'barely connecting' to 4 bars. Data rates tripled.
I have used it in places with strong (4 bar) signal, and found higher data rates with the external antenna.
I have one of these on each of the USB air cards in the Mobile Command Center.

Depending on where your router is, you can put an external antenna on the house, and run it to your AT&T device:
http://3gstore.com/product/3047_3g4g-full-band-outdoor-omni-antenna.html

Finally, there's in-building repeaters that will use a high-gain antenna and boost the wireless signal in the house.
http://3gstore.com/category/443_300_repeater_kits_bundles.html

Last edited:
(however, it has USB and is compatible with Linux, e.g. uses CDC Class interface, probably can be plugged into the same computer where Huges box is).

Hmmmm..... You MAY be able to plug an aircard into one of your PCs and enable internet connection sharing.......

As a side-note, you might also look at replacing Hughes with something like WildBlue. They've done a lot of work to reduce the effects of latency for geo-synch orbit distances with a ton of buffering, etc.

We've run VoIP phone calls across it (technically against their Terms of Service, same as Hughes) from a completely different mobile communications trailer than Alan's, mentioned above. :)

I don't know what their current pricing looks like. Sorry. Just have some friends in the mountains that use it where there's no cellular coverage.

If you have cellular coverage, one of the data cards is probably the best, but check carefully on total bandwidth allowances. T-Mobile doesn't limit, but does slow your speeds after you hit their cap, and Sprint didn't USED to have a cap, but is adding one. Both Verizon and AT&T have tiered pricing and different sized caps.

The trick is to match up your usage to a price point and then shop for lower, assuming delivery speeds and latency are equal. Once you add satellite into the picture, latency shoots way up, but it doesn't matter for things like web pages and e-mail.

Start playing online first-person-shooter or "twitch" games that require speed, and neither satellite or often cellular will cut the mustard, of course. But I doubt you guys are into that sort of thing. You have an airplane to entertain yourselves with. :)

The big drawback to anything with a cap these days is not being able to replace phones, or worse, TV, with anything Internet-based... video will eat the cap alive on just about any service.

Thanks for the point out on the CradlePoint CTR35, Alan. I've got one on order now, thanks to this post. I had picked up a Verizon LG VL-600 4G adapter (USB) that I use when I'm on the road, just before they announced and released their MiFi devices, and they wouldn't let me switch to the more versatile (shareable) MiFi. The CTR35 will let me use my existing VL-600 USB dongle 4G device, but share it and access it from multiple devices (such as my iPad, which doesn't have a USB slot).

I've been doing this for years in my Mobile Command Center, my emergency management truck, and in the Emergency Operations Center as backup for a fiber cut to the building.

In the Mobile Command Center: http://3gstore.com/product/2736_cradlepoint_ctr35.html

Too bad their coverage map page doesn't work (needs a new Google Maps API key). Diana, this may be a good option for you though--they're a SW Missouri carrier specializing in rural access. Give 'em a call!

EDIT: Maybe not; their closest tower (to your farm) is in Stotts City.

EDIT 2: Then again: "Remember though, due to company growth not all towers are marked on the coverage map yet. For complete availability, please call our office at 417-851-1107."

Last edited:
I use a Linksys WRT54G3G router and a Sierra wireless PCMIA aircard as backup internet connection.

There is a cap on my monthly usage. I have run into the problem that if I use the card for backup, the voip boxes 'stay alive' communication eats up the the allowance in a day or two.

What problems do you have with Hughes ?

As a side-note, you might also look at replacing Hughes with something like WildBlue. They've done a lot of work to reduce the effects of latency for geo-synch orbit distances with a ton of buffering, etc.

I was with WildBlue before switching to Hughes about 18 months ago. Their service REALLY sucked in this area at that time. I had the 1.5mb service and was lucky to get 0.5mb speeds when I checked it, especially in the evenings. They way oversold the "beam" in this area.

The local installer (he installs for both Hughes and WildBlue) keeps telling me that WildBlue is launching a new satellite & will have rocket fast speeds compared to anything thus far...but it's not here yet. At least in my area.

WildBlue and Hughes are about the same in customer service, in that they both make Wal-Mart look good. And that's a tough thing to do!

You can go with the AT&T hotspot to give you WiFi and get a pair of USB WiFi adapters. I'm using the Dlink DWA 125 ( 29.00 at walmart) . Plugs in to a USB port on your computer and connects to my WIFI access point. Depending on your house layout put the AT&T wifi hotspot in the middle of the two computers and you should be fine.

You can go with the AT&T hotspot to give you WiFi and get a pair of USB WiFi adapters. I'm using the Dlink DWA 125 ( 29.00 at walmart) . Plugs in to a USB port on your computer and connects to my WIFI access point. Depending on your house layout put the AT&T wifi hotspot in the middle of the two computers and you should be fine.
You can probably also use Personal Hotspot on your iPhone this way as long as you don't think you're going to use too much data. The limit is 4GB/month or you will be paying more (I'm not sure how much more).

http://www.macworld.com/article/158556/2011/03/personal_hotspot_att.html

Yes, Verizon does not allow data + voice at same time. I had suggested teh hotspot because it's a fire and forget solution. Good for the non-geeks ( not that there is anything wrong with that :))

Yeah, I just mentioned it because I had to switch to Verizon for coverage issues at work. VZ is better, but still has problems. Our building is a cell phone black hole, even up on the 2nd floor. AT&T just completely dies here, VZ hangs on and usually always rings and I can answer, but if I don't move near a window pretty quick, the call won't survive for long.

Thus... I've started giving out my Google Voice number to folks who really need to reach me. It rings everything, including the work desk phone...

Such a joy to pay for cellular service that doesn't work where you spend the majority of your day... at least with VZ I can call them back from the VoIP phone on the desk... Sigh.

Yes, Verizon does not allow data + voice at same time. I had suggested teh hotspot because it's a fire and forget solution. Good for the non-geeks ( not that there is anything wrong with that :))
My iPhone Personal Hotspot is through AT&T. I had a Verizon USB stick before that and it worked OK but it was much more expensive. I have DSL at my home but I use the other methods when I travel.

My work IPhone has the Verizon hotspot feature. I have not had issues with not being able to talk and surf at the same time. But I don't have long phone conversations.

My work IPhone has the Verizon hotspot feature. I have not had issues with not being able to talk and surf at the same time. But I don't have long phone conversations.

I haven't missed it either. It's kinda funny that when I hang up, the backlog of undelivered e-mail always dings though.

While both Verizon and others say that you can't do both at once it seems that they do buffer things nicely. I use my droid phone as a hotspot at times and when I get a call I talk and when I get off the phone everything keeps working. I've not tried to surf while I'm on the phone but then again why would I? I suppose there are times it might come in handy but for the most part it's not been a issue.

While both Verizon and others say that you can't do both at once it seems that they do buffer things nicely. I use my droid phone as a hotspot at times and when I get a call I talk and when I get off the phone everything keeps working. I've not tried to surf while I'm on the phone but then again why would I? I suppose there are times it might come in handy but for the most part it's not been a issue.

Talking on the phone does not shut off your wifi, it just turns off the phone's connection to the internet. So everything stays connected to the phone via wifi, there's just no data to be had.

I don't know how far out in the boonies you are but if you have few to no line-of-sight obstructions this range-extending adapter is supposed to be the strongest in the world, or so that's the way they describe it. People working aboard ships have reportedly gotten it to work at more than 5 miles. Again, this is what I read in at least one customer review.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. :yes:

The AT&T guys and Best Buy guys came up with the Hotspot and range extender combo, so that's where I got the idea for that option.

I have Hughes, their 2mb package. As you say, it sucks, and it's expensive ($100/mo).

Yep...it does suck.

A great solution though would be if you could get an unlimited data plan on your cell phones and tether your computers. I also understand that you can't tether if you're with certain companies (AT&T) but I don't know the specifics as to why.
We checked into tethering with our iPhones and we would have to lose our present unlimited data plans, so we decided that wouldn't work for us.

Alan, thanks for all the information. :)

We looked at a Cradlepoint router at Best Buy and the guy who worked there said they didn't sell an air card that would fit it. But, we need to re-think that option.

Since we may be moving off the farm in the future, we hate to commit to any service with a 2-year contract agreement associated with equipment that isn't mobile.

I get those "service extender" and hot-spot emails too, but I don't think they're for internet service.
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. :yes:

I use a Linksys WRT54G3G router and a Sierra wireless PCMIA aircard as backup internet connection.

I'll have to check that one out. I wonder how it compares to the Cradlepoint?

What problems do you have with Hughes ?
Oh, gosh...where to start.

They have very poor customer support (from people I can't understand), make promises for services they can't/won't provide, typically blame everyone but themselves for any problems that come up, send weird and often incompetent techs out to work on their equipment at the house, and have a lousy FAP. Anytime you upgrade equipment, they want a 2-year contract with a $400 penalty that isn't pro-rated (last time we talked with them about it). There are more issues, but that's all that comes to mind after just 2 cups of coffee. :)

Here are a few posts about problems with Hughes from some of the folks here on PoA:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=437484&postcount=30

and

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=420453&postcount=1

and

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=294338&postcount=1

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=294590&postcount=19

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=294604&postcount=20

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=294758&postcount=34

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=297332&postcount=48

and

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=608490&postcount=22

We spent the day up at the new house site, and every one in the area is either on hughs net or clear wire, they all say hughs net sux.

and

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=705392&postcount=16

There's more...that was just the sample platter. :D

Last edited:
Why in the world would I do that? The only use of the equipment I got now is for counterweights.

:D Wayne, you crack me up!

What I want to know is if you placed an order. ;)

I'll have to check that one out. I wonder how it compares to the Cradlepoint?

Same concept, still a cellphone behind it.

The have very poor customer support (from people I can't understand), make promises for services they can't/won't provide, typically blame everyone but themselves for any problems that come up, send weird and often incompetent techs out to work on their equipment at the house, and have a lousy FAP. Anytime you upgrade equipment, they want a 2-year contract with a $400 penalty that isn't pro-rated (last time we talked with them about it). There are more issues, but that's all that comes to mind after just 2 cups of coffee. :)

Welcome to Verizon !

I see how that can sour your experience.

I have a colleague who set up a sat system back in the late 90s and it has been trucking along ever since. It is pricey, $250/month down from more in the beginning but it seems to work satisfactory for anything non-VPN based.

Talking on the phone does not shut off your wifi, it just turns off the phone's connection to the internet. So everything stays connected to the phone via wifi, there's just no data to be had.

Umm, I just tested this... that appears to be incorrect.

Verizon iPhone 4, on WiFi... made a phone call. Data works normally.
Turn off WiFi, 3G/cellular data stops when in a call.

Only 3G/cellular data is stopped during a phone call, which is what I expected... CDMA base stations are not set up for simultaneous mixed data/voice. That should change with the deployment of LTE, but that's also going to require iPhone 5 have LTE support in the handset.

WiFi if connected, works just fine throughout the call. I dialed up a recording I knew lasted forever (music hold on a conference bridge) and then tapped the Home button, sent myself an e-mail and received it, replied to it... pulled up a web page, etc.

Also text messaging, as far as I can tell, continues to work on both AT&T and Verizon when a phone call is active, but having a hard time testing it on VZ because my wife left for a gig and took her phone with her. :rofl:

Alan, thanks for all the information. :)

We looked at a Cradlepoint router at Best Buy and the guy who worked there said they didn't sell an air card that would fit it. But, we need to re-think that option.

Huh? I think the Best Buy guys either didn't know what they were talking about, or were trying to sell you a bunch of junk.
Since one should never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence, I'll assume they are just stupid.

Here's the list of air cards the Cradlepoint currently will work with:
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/mobile-broadband-routers/ctr35-wireless-n-portable-router
Below is a list of carrier-supplied modems compatible with the CTR35.

3 (Swed)
USB
Huawei E182E

Alltel
USB
Pantech UM150
Pantech UM175
Pantech UM185

AT&T
USB (Tethered)
Huawei E220
USB
Huawei E1815 [USB Connect 900]
Huawei E181
LG AD600 [USB Connect Adrenaline]
LG Turbo LUU-2100TI [USBConnect Turbo]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC930D
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC950D
Option iCON 322 [AT&T USBConnect Quicksilver]
Option iCON 461 [AT&T USBConnect Velocity]
Sierra Wireless AirCard 875U
Sierra Wireless AirCard 881U [USBConnect 881]
Sierra Wireless Compass 885 [USBConnect Mercury]
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 305 [USBConnect Lightning]
Sierra Wireless Compass 888
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 308 [Shockwave]
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 306

Bell Mobility
USB
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 [Novatel Wireless U760]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC998D [U998 HSPA+ Turbo Stick]

BridgeMAXX
USB
ZTE TU25

BSNL
USB
Linktop LW273
Linktop LW272

Cellcom
USB
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760

Claro (PR)
USB
Alcatel One Touch X220Y (TCT Mobile)
BandRich BandLuxe C330
Very Kool m950

Clear
USB
Franklin Wireless U300 [Clear 4G+ USB Modem]
Huawei BM328 [Clear 4G USB (Series H)]
Motorola USBw 100 [Clear USB Modem]
Sierra Wireless 250U [CLEAR 4G+ USB (Series S)]
Ubee PXU1930 [Rover Stick]
Ubee PXU1900 [Clear 4G Mobile USB]

Comcast
USB
Franklin Wireless U300 [CMU-300 High Speed 2go]
Franklin Wireless U301 [CMU-301 High Speed 2go]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 [Novatel MC760]
Ubee PXU1903
ZTE TU25

Cricket
USB
Cal-Comp Electronics A600
Huawei EC1705
Pantech UM100
Pantech UM185 [Cricket UM185C]
ZTE A605

MTS India
USB
Anydata 555C [M-Blaze Premium]
ZTE AC2766 [M-Blaze Standard]

nTelos
USB
Franklin Wireless CDU-680

O2 (U.K.)
USB
ZTE MF100

Orange (U.K.)
USB
Huawei E160E
Huawei E1752 [Orange E1752 Dongle]
Option iCON 515M

Pioneer Cellular
USB
Franklin Wireless CDU-680
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 598

Reliance
USB
Huawei EC1262
ZTE AC2726
ZTE MF190
ZTE MF668

Rogers
USB
Nokia CS-18 [HSPA+ Rocket Mobile Internet Stick - Nokia CS-18]
ZTE MF668 [ZTE MF668 HSPA+ Rocket Mobile Internet Stick]

Sprint
USB
Franklin Wireless U300 [Sprint 3G/4G USB ModemU300]
Franklin Wireless U301 [Sprint 3G/4G USB ModemU301]
Franklin Wireless CDU-680 [Sprint U680]
Franklin Wireless U600
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC720 [Sprint U720]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC727 [Sprint U727]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 [Sprint U760]
Sierra Wireless 250U [3G/4G USB Modem 250U]
Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U
Sierra Wireless Compass 597U [Sprint 597 USB Modem]
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 598 [Sprint 598U]
Ubee PXU1901

Strata Networks
USB
Franklin Wireless U210

T-Mobile (U.K)
USB
Huawei E1750

T-Mobile (U.S.A)
USB
Huawei E181 [T-Mobile webConnect USB (UMG181)]
Huawei E1831 [T-Mobile webConnect Rocket USB]
Huawei E1691 [T-Mobile webConnect Jet USB (UMG1691)]
Huawei E366 [Jet 2.0]
ZTE MF683 [Rocket 3.0]
ZTE MF691 [webConnect Rocket 2.0 HSPA+]

Tata Teleservices
USB
Epivalley SEC 8380 [TATA Photon+]
Epivalley SXC1080 [Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf]
Huawei EC1261 [TATA Photon+]

Telenor (Swe)
USB
Huawei E1750

Telus
USB
Huawei E182E
Sierra Wireless AirCard USB 598 [U598]

Time Warner
USB
Franklin Wireless U300 [Road Runner Franklin U300]
Motorola USBw 100
Sierra Wireless 250U

U.S. Cellular
USB
Pantech UM175 [UT Starcom UM175]
Pantech UM185 [PCD UM185]

Verizon
USB (Tethered)
Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200
USB
LG VL600 [VL600 4G LTE USB Modem]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC551 [ 551L 4G LTE USB Modem]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC720 [Verizon USB720]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC727 [Verizon USB727]
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 [Verizon USB760]
Pantech UMW190NCD [Verizon UMW190 Global Modem]
Pantech UML290 [UML290 4G LTE USB Modem]
Pantech UM150
Pantech UM175
Pantech UMW190VZ [Verizon UMW190 Global Modem]

Virgin Mobile (U.S.A.)
USB
Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760 [Broadband2Go]

Vodafone (U.K)
USB
Huawei K4505 [Vodafone ModemStick Pro]
ZTE K3570-Z

This is exactly what we do at our farm. Works great, only problem is the 5 gb data limit. Means no watching full length netflix movies or tv off the web, and updating foreflight can also eat up a lot of data. VZ emails at 50%, 75% and 90%. All do by law now, I think. Can always download updates at the airport, or a local Mickey D's with free wifi.
Nice to be able to put the wifi in your pocket for web access on trips too.
The wifi dongles for the pc' can be had off ebay for under $10 ea.

I have a Cradlepoint device (small portable), and it works very well. I used it first with an AT&T USB device, then changed to Verizon (for coverage at our country shack).

Huh? I think the Best Buy guys either didn't know what they were talking about, or were trying to sell you a bunch of junk.
Since one should never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence, I'll assume they are just stupid.

Here's the list of air cards the Cradlepoint currently will work with:

When I got my Aircard, they had to call around a couple of AT&T stores to find one.

When I got my Aircard, they had to call around a couple of AT&T stores to find one.

I guess it depends on what's around at the time.
I had a Sprint Overdrive, a Verizon USB stick, and an AT&T Express Card in supply, when we got the Cradlepoint and checked compatibility, everything worked and nothing had to be replaced.

Diana,
Don't let your choices be limited by what's in stock. Have them (either Best Buy or directly from AT&T) order what you need and deliver it to your house.

Does anyone know of a way to tether an iphone without using the personal hotspot? I am grandfathered into the verizon unlimited data subscription. I used to have easy tether on my droid

I have a Cradlepoint device (small portable), and it works very well. I used it first with an AT&T USB device, then changed to Verizon (for coverage at our country shack).

Mine arrived on Saturday. GREAT device, easy to setup, works fantastic with my Verizon LG600 USB LTE device. :thumbsup:

Back