Options for fly-in restaurants open for dinner (~1hr of Chicago area)

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Looking for places to fly for dinner in the Chicago area +/- 150miles or so.

Have been to Pilot Pete’s several times, what else is there?

Rick's boathouse in Indianapolis might barely meet your criteria. I think mto might be within 150 miles of you, although as much as I love it, I'm not sure it's worth flying that far unless the point is to fly that far.

The flight deck is my favorite fly-in restaurant, and I've been to many.

There's a nice sit-down restaurant on the field at KBMI...at least there was. Haven't been there in a few years. Parking right in front.
Not only is CJ’s gone for about 5 years now, they recently demolished the building to build another corporate hangar.

Not only is CJ’s gone for about 5 years now, they recently demolished the building to build another corporate hangar.
too bad. Professor Google says there's a 'burger bar' on the field now. ???

maybe if you ask nicely, Mrs. @kaiser will cook dinner for you
Mrs. K says she's a myth, and @kaiser has yet to prove otherwise...

Hmmm... Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't been over there for a few months. I'll have to look into it.

Negative, unless Google is talking about the place in the Airline terminal which is not accessible from the ramp and would require walking down Route 9 (not a good idea) or ground transportation.

Negative, unless Google is talking about the place in the Airline terminal which is not accessible from the ramp and would require walking down Route 9 (not a good idea) or ground transportation.
Oh yeah that's right. There is a restaurant or two in the commercial terminal, which is about 1.5mi from the fbo. At that point you might as well go to better options in town.

the flights for bites site seems down. Fly 2 lunch is ok but has dated information.
@Mahneuvers did I screw up the link?

@Initial Fix the stale data is a real problem. The percentage of people who go to the trouble to post reviews and update things is small. The pilot population is small. The number of pilots who know about the site is small. Multiplying by a small decimal 3 times.... Makes a pretty small number. I always try to find the restaurant on Facebook or a website to verify that they still exist before I plan a trip to them.

Last edited:

@Initial Fix the stale data is a real problem. The percentage is people who go to the trouble to post reviews and update things of small. The pilot population is small. The number of pilots who know about the site is small. Multiplying by a small decimal 3 times.... Makes a pretty small number. I always try to find the restaurant on Facebook or a website to verify that they still exist before I plan a trip to them.
Link worked for me

You don't say whether you're on the north side or south. If on the north side, Bessies at Janesville, WI (Southern Wisconsin Regional - KJVL) is a 30-40 min flight from KPWK (Chicago Exec).

www.bessiesdiner.com

You don't say whether you're on the north side or south. If on the north side, Bessies at Janesville, WI (Southern Wisconsin Regional - KJVL) is a 30-40 min flight from KPWK (Chicago Exec).

www.bessiesdiner.com

Either side is fine, I’m based at KUGN. I’ve been to Bessies a few times, although as I recall they are only open for lunch.

The ‘jet room’ in Madison should still be an option. I haven’t been in a while. I think Prairie Du Chien has walking options. The last time in Boscobel they had 2 courtesy vehicles.

Lone Rock WI had a very simple diner, closed last I looked.

Bessie's is breakfast and lunch only, as is the Jet Room in Madison.

@Initial Fix the stale data is a real problem. The percentage of people who go to the trouble to post reviews and update things is small. The pilot population is small. The number of pilots who know about the site is small. Multiplying by a small decimal 3 times.... Makes a pretty small number. I always try to find the restaurant on Facebook or a website to verify that they still exist before I plan a trip to them.

Damn, he’s a pilot and can do math also!

Back