Opinions regarding whether I will qualify for a first class medical?

F

Foxtrot_Mike_Lima

I'm in the process of getting things put together with a couple of potential colleges to start my path towards becoming an ATP. One thing I'm looking into is obtaining my first class medical. I've done some research but figured I would ask here as well for more opinions.

About 7 years ago I went through a really bad relationship and had to go into this clinic for "anti-depressants." In researching what I was given I found I never actually took any actual anti-depressants. I was prescribed something called Hyroxyzine which I took for like 2 months then stopped. I researched and found it's something they prescribe often times for severe allergies and mild forms of anxiety. I stopped taking it after about 2 months and was back to normal. Luckily, about a year later the whole relationship came to an end, but I was dealing with anxiety again and went into another clinic. They prescribed me Diazepam (valium) for like 3 months, which each month the dosage went down. I think I only took it for 2 months and never even took the 3rd month. On the second month they told me they wanted to "ease me" off the valium and prescribed me cyclobenzaprine which is often used to treat stiff muscles and muscle spasms in athletes and it is some times used as a "relaxant" for mild anxiety.

I was never admitted into any kind of psyche facility, I was never suicidal or anything like that. I was never diagnosed as having chronic anxiety or depression. The doctors even sort of treated it and talked to me like "Take this stuff for a short while, go do some things you enjoy... Get back to normal, k?" I actually felt the Diazepam was kind of overkill which is why I stopped taking it after a couple of months and I only took it "when needed" which was maybe 2-3 times a week if I got real bad off.

Since then my life has been A-okay! I've felt fine and the only medication I've taken is advil. I've been told many people have had points in their life where they had to take something for awhile due to a family trauma or something, but the important thing is that you're currently not taking anything and don't have chronic depression/anxiety that you're constantly medicated for. Again, this was all 7 years ago. I'm also curious when it comes down to filling anything out, I know people say you REALLY want to be careful as to what you disclose. Is this stuff I should disclose? What should I put down? Would any of this kill my dreams of becoming an airline pilot, just because I took some stuff do to anxiety for a few months many years back?

Thanks for any advice.

It used to be a diagnosis of depression and anti depression meds was a disqualifying condition. Today the are Class I holders flying who are on anti depression meds.

To begin your journey, you must obtain a 3rd class medical. On the application the FAA wants to know on line 18 m if you have ever had any sort of mental disorder including anxiety or depression.

The medication you were prescribed 7 years ago is not the big issue. Proving you no longer have a mental disorder is the issue.

It sounds like you were suffering from an adjustment disorder followed by a bereavement disorder. Do not submit a medical application until you have met with an AME and have all the skids greased to get your medical.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/

Last edited:
It used to be a diagnosis of depression and anti depression meds was a disqualifying condition. Today the are Class I holders flying who are on anti depression meds.

To begin your journey, you must obtain a 3rd class medical. On the application the FAA wants to know on line 18 m if you have ever had any sort of mental disorder including anxiety or depression.

The medication you were prescribed 7 years ago are not the issue. Proving you no longer have a mental disorder is the issue.

Do not submit a medical application until you have met with an AME and have all the skids greased to get your medical.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/

That's just the thing though. I was never diagnosed with Depression or even Anxiety, just that I had temporary anxiety from a traumatic experience. The doctors even told me "if this persists come back to see us" but it didn't persist. They told me they didn't want to get me on anti-depressants or anything like that until they knew for sure that it wouldn't pass, which it did. Is that still considered a mental disorder? I read online some people who've had deaths in the family, traumatic life events and such where they went in, saw some one, took something for a few months and naturally got better. I remember the doctor telling me "this happens to a lot of people in a tough time, let's get you through it before we go diagnosing you with things you don't have."

Again, just repeating what I've read or been told. Giving any information I can. What's a good way for me to find a AME in my area? Should I just go in for a consultation or something? How does it work? Thanks for the help.

Thought if I made an account and signed up it would make this easier! After viewing the link you posted, Clip4, from what it says what I had was "Adjustment disorder" which can be a stressful, anxiety ridden time following a major traumatic life event like a divorce, medical event, family death or something of that nature. It says as long as you have been off any correcting medication for more than 3 months and didn't take anything for more than 6 months and that (from website): Adjustment Disorders All Submit all pertinent medical information and clinical status report. If stable, resolved, no associated disturbance of thought, no recurrent episodes, and psychotropic medication(s) used for less than 6 months and discontinued for at least 3 months - Issue

So that should be beneficial to me, right?

I was never diagnosed as having chronic anxiety or depression.
Never fails. This line is included in every single story like this one.

That's just the thing though. I was never diagnosed with Depression or even Anxiety,

Yes you were. If you were given meds for anxiety and depression, you were diagnosed with anxiety and depression.

Never fails. This line is included in every single story like this one.

Yes you were. If you were given meds for anxiety and depression, you were diagnosed with anxiety and depression.

Was I? Because again, after reading that link it says such situations are often classified as "Adjustment Disorder." Doesn't every human being experience times of depression and anxiety? If something really bad happens, like a divorce, a close family member dying, etc, I think just about anyone can experience those things. I actually feel I snapped back pretty quick. Maybe I was "diagnosed" with those, but I never went on actual anti-depressants and long term medication for it. Again, from what I gathered off that link Clip4 posted the exact thing I went through was adjustment disorder which is says as long as you weren't taking anything for more than 6 months and it was over 3 months ago that you can still be issued a first class medical. Again, just going off what I'm reading.

That's just the thing though. I was never diagnosed with Depression or even Anxiety,
Was I? Because again, after reading that link it says such situations are often classified as "Adjustment Disorder." Doesn't every human being experience times of depression and anxiety? If something really bad happens, like a divorce, a close family member dying, etc, I think just about anyone can experience those things. I actually feel I snapped back pretty quick. Maybe I was "diagnosed" with those, but I never went on actual anti-depressants and long term medication for it. Again, from what I gathered off that link Clip4 posted the exact thing I went through was adjustment disorder which is says as long as you weren't taking anything for more than 6 months and it was over 3 months ago that you can still be issued a first class medical. Again, just going off what I'm reading.
All I'm saying is that if you were prescribed medication for anxiety, you were diagnosed with anxiety. People try this one all the time - "I got the meds but I was never diagnosed". Yes you were. Whether you can get a medical I have no idea.

All I'm saying is that if you were prescribed medication for anxiety, you were diagnosed with anxiety. People try this one all the time - "I got the meds but I was never diagnosed". Yes you were. Whether you can get a medical I have no idea.

Hey, maybe you're right. I'm definitely not trying to hide anything, just trying to be as honest as possible. Who knows.

Too bad there is no "You are about to permanently alter your medical record with consequences you cannot yet imagine. Are you sure?" prompt at the doctor's office.

Too bad there is no "You are about to permanently alter your medical record with consequences you cannot yet imagine. Are you sure?" prompt at the doctor's office.

No joke, right? I was having trouble sleeping and feeling really anxious and knew it would eventually pass. If some one would have told me "Hey, you won't get to be a pilot after this!" I'd have tough'd it the **** out lol

Since then my life has been A-okay!

With your chosen display name, are you sure? To answer your question, SGOTI is short for Some Guy on the Internet. You really should stick to the consult with Dr. Chien. If you are honest with him you will know where you stand. BTW, you were very wise to check this out before starting training...

I dunno. What I might have just read is that someone was prescribed anxiety medicine on two separate occasions and both time went off his meds. Yeah, that's not how you see it, it might not be how the FAA sees it either, it might not even be the truth...but that's the impression I got when I read it. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get first class, but it might be very expensive. Of course the trouble is, the FAA will object to things that might be true and then it is your responsibility and cost to prove that it's nothing.

As to what you disclose, you should not be careful at all. You should disclose the truth because anything that is "a version of the truth" is a lie. Get the facts out there because if they come out later, you'll be royally screwed and your chances of keeping your first class...and your certificate...will be greatly diminished. Lying on your medical is bad, mkay?

You'll need the records from the doctors to know what the diagnosis was. If the diagnosis was any psychiatric issue, including anxiety, you will need to report to the FAA. Or, if as you say, it was an innocent diagnosis, then it probably isn't even reportable. It's all about the doctors' diagnosis.

Dr Chien is a great resource. But don't BS him, he will drop you like a bad habit.

With your chosen display name, are you sure? To answer your question, SGOTI is short for Some Guy on the Internet. You really should stick to the consult with Dr. Chien. If you are honest with him you will know where you stand. BTW, you were very wise to check this out before starting training...

Indeed. I created the moniker when trying to figure out my student loan options and availability for flight training. I thought it sounded silly. I actually learned I had a lot more options than I thought. "FML" doesn't usually imply that some one is depressed and ready to end it all, people usually say it as a kind of exaggeration of "Oh god, the dishwasher went out again, FML!" Never thought it would get taken so seriously. I try to always research things before I get in too deep so that's why I wanted all this information now rather than later.

I dunno. What I might have just read is that someone was prescribed anxiety medicine on two separate occasions and both time went off his meds. Yeah, that's not how you see it, it might not be how the FAA sees it either, it might not even be the truth...but that's the impression I got when I read it. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get first class, but it might be very expensive. Of course the trouble is, the FAA will object to things that might be true and then it is your responsibility and cost to prove that it's nothing.

As to what you disclose, you should not be careful at all. You should disclose the truth because anything that is "a version of the truth" is a lie. Get the facts out there because if they come out later, you'll be royally screwed and your chances of keeping your first class...and your certificate...will be greatly diminished. Lying on your medical is bad, mkay?

You'll need the records from the doctors to know what the diagnosis was. If the diagnosis was any psychiatric issue, including anxiety, you will need to report to the FAA. Or, if as you say, it was an innocent diagnosis, then it probably isn't even reportable. It's all about the doctors' diagnosis.

Dr Chien is a great resource. But don't BS him, he will drop you like a bad habit.

Haha, yeah, no. I didn't "go off my meds" and comments like this make me regret asking for any information. I actually was given a 2 month supply each time and told "this should be more than enough, come see us if you need more, take only in emergencies if you feel really bad." Basically, I didn't have to take a lot of it. The doctors said both times "the less you can take the better, hopefully you don't take all this." I'm not one to lie, ever, especially about important things, but when things are worded in certain ways I like to make sure I'm answering the right questions correctly. This isn't lying or being dishonest, it's just being well educated about what you do and having some common sense. I'm also not sure how I would be BSing Dr. Chien. I sent him a brief E-mailing describing my information, maybe he can help me? Again, I have absolutely nothing to hide, which is why I thought I could get some honest opinions but now I feel like some street-psyche-ward-escapee trying to get a hit of something. I've never done drugs, the most alcohol I've ever had at a sitting is about 2 beers and I've kept out of trouble. I had some majorly bad relationship stuff happen that was hard to deal with for a short while and was stupid enough to go to a couple of very friendly doctors that legitimately helped me get back on track and realize my life was going to be just fine. Never felt the need for more crap after and have been happily enjoying life since.

You asked for honest opinions - we get a lot of new guys coming around here asking things like "I was ADHD in High School, but I'm all better now. That's not a problem and I don't need to report that on my medical, right?"

You didn't ask us to tell you what you wanted to hear, you asked us to tell you what we thought. Same deal with Dr Chien - go into it with the attitude of reporting the truth, not what you think is the truth and not a sanitized version of the truth. Tell him the facts.

It's all about the doctors' diagnosis code. If those codes said anxiety, then you need to report it on your medical and things get a little tougher. It could be a legitimate health issue that even you aren't aware of right now. The standard for minor depression says that you used medicine for less than 3 months (check), stable(check), resolved(check), no associated disturbance of thought(check) and no recurrent episodes(not checked). You had two episodes, which makes it recurrent, meaning it requires an FAA approval and more work. It requires submissions from the doctor, including a clinical status report. If you cannot get those things, then the FAA will assume the worst outcome, you never get the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a doctor, I just learned way too much about how the FAA medical system operates.

Best situation - you don't have a problem because the codes don't say you did.

Given what you've said, I think the worst case is that the doctor's records do say anxiety but you can't get all the information the FAA wants. You'll have to do some testing, which will show that you're normal and good for a first class.

It is possible but very, very unlikely that further testing will show that you have a legitimate psychiatric issue. If so, celebrate that you found a medical problem so it can be treated. Your health is much, much more important than flying.

I appreciate that response and that good information, Bflynn.

I do wish during those times when I was younger I'd have just realized not to waste emotion on the wrong people and let myself feel bad. I'm glad I got past it all but wish I'd have not gone to the doctor the second time at least and just toughed it out. Is there an easy way for me to get the doctors records? Or should I just go straight to the HIMS AME and not worry about it? I don't even remember who that doctor is or if he's still practicing. I don't even remember who the first one was, it was just some walk in clinic. I imagine like you say, hopefully in the end it will all turn out good but obviously there's going to be some work involved which will take time and money, sadly. We'll see I guess!

We all learn.

Maybe Dr Chien can work one of his miracles with the FAA and it turns into nothing. Or maybe I don't know jack, there's a reason I'm not a doctor.

Is there an easy way for me to get the doctors records?
Do you still have access to the clinic(s) where the medication was prescribed? If so, you do have the rights to ask for copies of your chart/file. Getting all of that is important. It is better to provide the AME the entire file and let him figure out what goes on to Oklahoma City. The reverse of having nothing or incomplete creates major inconvenience, defferral, and ticking clocks counting down toward deadlines.

As far as the HIMS AME, wait until someone who knows and understands the system can provide the proper guidance. Someone like Dr. Bruce Chien. Knowing which doctor(s) you can go see and what services to ask for may save you considerable time, money, and frustration.

So you think your medical record says patient has no medical problems, but was prescribed an oral medication?

You need to obtain a copy of your records and get a professional advice before you submit an application for any class medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back