Ophthalmic Migraine

S

SeeingThings

I just had a brief period where a portion of my field of vision looked as if it were under shimmering water. I called my ophthalmologist, and they said it's probably an ophthalmic migraine, also known as an ocular migraine. They suggested I come in next week to check things out just to be sure, which I plan to do. This is the first time I've had something like this happen.

Is this going to cause a problem at my next medical? (I've got a 2nd class, but am currently operating under 3rd class privileges.) Should I have them do any particular tests at this point that the FAA is going to want? Is this even something that I'll be asked to report on the 8500-8?

You would have to report it but document your other doctor visits very well. If it's non-threatening and/or short-lived, have him document it as such. That can be submitted with your new medical application and backed up by the AME.

Tis best to always be able to back up a "Yes" answer on a 8500 in one of at least two fashions. The first one is with either a "No change" when continuing from a prior report. Or, in the case of a new "Yes" answer, providing documentation from a supporting physician indicating the matter is not a factor in your ability to exercise your privileges.

They will want to know, from your opthalmologist, that this does not impair your ability to SEE in the affected region. You'll be put on a year-to-year if this is so. If it DOES affect your ability to see in the affected region, you're in a world of avaition hurt....it's a matter of degree.

I just had a brief period where a portion of my field of vision looked as if it were under shimmering water. I called my ophthalmologist, and they said it's probably an ophthalmic migraine, also known as an ocular migraine. They suggested I come in next week to check things out just to be sure, which I plan to do. This is the first time I've had something like this happen.

Is this going to cause a problem at my next medical? (I've got a 2nd class, but am currently operating under 3rd class privileges.) Should I have them do any particular tests at this point that the FAA is going to want? Is this even something that I'll be asked to report on the 8500-8?

I've had an occular migraine in the past (long before I started flying, and haven't had one since I started flying). Mine (all 3 of them) were allergic reactions to food. Turns out I react to the process/chemicals/spices/whatever in Kroger house-brand deli meats. Think back to what you were eating shortly before the event. Mine occured within 30 min of eating. Needless to say, I haven't had Kroger deli meats in over 12 years. Don't want another possible event. Not good while flying. Not good while driving, either.

I've had an occular migraine in the past (long before I started flying, and haven't had one since I started flying). Mine (all 3 of them) were allergic reactions to food. Turns out I react to the process/chemicals/spices/whatever in Kroger house-brand deli meats. Think back to what you were eating shortly before the event. Mine occured within 30 min of eating. Needless to say, I haven't had Kroger deli meats in over 12 years. Don't want another possible event. Not good while flying. Not good while driving, either.

check also that you are not a chronic user of ibuprofen, and, if so, stop its use and see (sic) what happens.

tony

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back