Opening @ SWA

"A Southwest Airlines flight landed safely at a military base in Yuma, Arizona, on Friday with what passengers described as a 3-foot hole in the fuselage of the Boeing 737."

Too bad it's not actually a military base. Is it that hard to get the first paragraph right at least?

"We do not know the cause of the decompression," said Ian Gregor of the FAA.

I'll go out on a limb and say it was because of the big-a** hole.

"A Southwest Airlines flight landed safely at a military base in Yuma, Arizona, on Friday with what passengers described as a 3-foot hole in the fuselage of the Boeing 737."

Too bad it's not actually a military base. Is it that hard to get the first paragraph right at least?

It is dual use - they at least got it 'half' right!

flightx-large.jpg

From http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/04/southwest-flight-yuma/152206/1

It's not actually a military base only if you don't consider the USMC to actually be part of the military.

Last edited:

It's dual-use - been there. To call it strictly a military base is incorrect.

That's two in recent times for WN - West Virginia, now this.

Why they would keep everyone on-board when there is a commercial terminal there baffles me.... especially if it was 100 degrees on the tarmac. Maybe the writer got that wrong, too.

Wonder if anyone was in the lav? Apparently the government thinks that people in the lav don't need oxygen....

And I thought from the thread title that maybe SWA had fired the crew that did the Cirrus intercept.

It is dual use - they at least got it 'half' right!

It's dual-use - been there. To call it strictly a military base is incorrect.

The plane landed on a military-owned and operated runway at MCAS Yuma. Civilian operations are allowed to use the military's runways and at least some taxiways under a joint-use agreement between the Department of the Navy and a local governmental unit. The fact that it may have (or maybe it didn't?) taxi to the civilian apron doesn't negate the fact that it landed at a military airfield.

Steve: Congrats on one of the wittiest thread titles I've seen in a while...

Southwest Flight 812: Restoring my faith in humanity

It's been less than 18 hours since Southwest Flight 812 made an emergency landing in Yuma, Arizona with yours truly aboard.

Several news outlets have asked me to confirm what other passengers have described as "pandemonium." In regard to physical stimuli and noise? Sure, that word works. In terms of the behavior of people? Not a chance.

What struck me, what I found completely remarkable was the extent to which people remained calm during the ordeal and stayed congenial throughout the landing, waiting, transfer and flight to Sacramento.

http://thebluestmuse.blogspot.com/2011/04/southwest-flight-812-restoring-my-faith.html

I think if one of us had been aboard we might have had a wholly different take on it - only because for example, we would know that depressurization is not a catastrophe.

"We do not know the cause of the decompression," said Ian Gregor of the FAA.

I'll go out on a limb and say it was because of the big-a** hole.

In the USN we called that a BFH.

We had a BFH once, below the waterline. It was a jagged rip 40 feet long, and at its widest, 20 feet. BFH!

-Skip

Last edited:
I think if one of us had been aboard we might have had a wholly different take on it - only because for example, we would know that depressurization is not a catastrophe.
Depressurization was a catastrophe for Payne Stewart.
-- P

Cracks found in two more SWA planes

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20110404/D9MCHJ8G3.html

YUMA, Ariz. (AP) - Inspectors have found small, subsurface cracks in two more Southwest planes that are similar to the cracks that caused a jetliner to lose pressure and make a harrowing emergency landing in Arizona, the airline said in a statement Sunday.

Nothing!

The USS Bolivar SSBN 641 hit us!

Google BETELGEUSE BOLIVAR for more info....

-Skip

That was an interesting read. Thanks for serving, Skip.

I found some photos first and kept thinking, "A whole lot of antennas for a cargo ship!", until I read about her Polaris mission.

Made a lot more sense as to why you might be hangin' 'round an SSBN close enough to get rammed by the big ol' leviathan too. ;)

Not too friendly of the boat drivers to ram their supply ship. Only a month plus a week in dry-dock to patch her BFH up... Someone wanted you guys back out at sea pretty bad!

When my father was based there after being drafted in the early 60's it was called Yuma Proving Grounds (if my memory is correct).

When my father was based there after being drafted in the early 60's it was called Yuma Proving Grounds (if my memory is correct).

Yuma Proving Grounds is still there, but it is not the same as MCAS Yuma/Yuma Intl. The Proving Grounds is an Army installation located NE of Yuma itself.

Scuttlebutt is... that SWA is gonna scrap the plane..

The mechanics can repair the sheet metal, but they cant seem to get the brown stains out of the cabin seats :goofy::hairraise::

Scuttlebutt is... that SWA is gonna scrap the plane..

The mechanics can repair the sheet metal, but they cant seem to get the brown stains out of the cabin seats :goofy::hairraise::
Funny, but here's a question - what do you do with the plane? Send folks down to NYL and fix it there, or do you get a ferry permit and fly it back to PHX or some other maintenance facility?

Back