Opening another's eyes

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So today is Jax is gray and gloomy. I had intended to take a friend (PPL checkride a week away) for a hop in the Lance, but there is no VFR to be had and I just don't feel like preflighting in the rain. Anyway, in talking to him to reschedule, he said with wonderment in his voice, "You mean on an IFR trip you'd take off in this?"

So I told him about my criteria for IFR departures (originating field above landing minimums on a favorable runway) and where the cloud tops would probably be found today, and the lack of convective activity etc.

He was duly impressed that this "bad" weather isn't all that bad and he's signing up for an instrument rating forthwith.

Ive found the best way to get someone motivated to get the IR is to take them on a nice low stress IFR trip. Usually if the day has relatively high ceilings but low tops Ill take a IR student and have a PP student or someone who is thinking about getting IR sit in backseat. Usually when we get back the guy in the backseat says something like "I've got to get my IR, that was really cool"

Yeah, we need a video clip showing the climbout through the clouds up to a nice sunny flight on top.

I remember one trip I took to Jax many years ago. 1000' overcast, a bit windy. Parents wondered why the heck I flew in "that." Told them we were way above it for the whole flight (minus the last 15 minutes) and had to don sunglasses and take off jackets due to the sun coming in the windows.

That's why I always love to take pictures if I'm on top like that. Much better than the view from the ground! :yes:

-Rich

I used to take my trainees on my IR training flights. Non-pilots love to see that stuff too. :yes:

Tony and I got some good 'on top' pics while doing my IR training last fall. I don't think we ever did a video, though. Good idea! I'll keep that in mind.

I had a hard time 'justifying' the cost of my IR rating to my wife until our Christmas trip to Alabama. We were on top or between layers most of the way. Now it's "cool". ha

oh like these?

Attachments

• DSC00917.JPG
    DSC00917.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00927.JPG
    DSC00927.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00820.JPG
    DSC00820.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC00968.JPG
    DSC00968.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 17
Ive found the best way to get someone motivated to get the IR is to take them on a nice low stress IFR trip.
I did this with Tom Sisk and Brook one day. Tom was in the front and I had him fly for a while in the soup. Opened his eyes. Trip back was more interesting with getting into the clouds early and ending with an ILS at the end. I think they enjoyed the experience.

Don't know about Tom, but I think Brook will be starting on her IFR soon.

I gotta schedule my round tuit for my IR year or two out. I wonder how hard it'll be to stay current, especially if they raise the IR currency requirements...owell there's a reason I'm sitting in a home 2 miles from the nose of plane now. It will take a whiel for the realize all the changes on my lifestyle. I still haven't flown for the time I've been here.

Back