Open box gps system for certified aircraft

New Helm X650 GPS

NEW HELM X650 GPS • $2,295 • UNBEATABLE DEAL ! • The Brightest 1500 NITS Polarized Touch Screen, Built in GPS, Optional full AHRS, Open Architecture, Panel Mount Aviation GPS. Run the software of your choice. Don't be locked into the hardware manufacturers proprietary software. Designed from the ground up as a Panel mount Aviation GPS. Install in Certified Aircraft with only a log book entry. Prices start at $2,295 complete with software. Mounts in the avionics stack. Snap it out, and bring it home for flight planing. Check out the Helm Navigation HELM X650 at helmnav or give us a call. • Contact Richard A. Helm, Owner - located Buckeye, AZ USA • Telephone: 623-332-0234 . • Posted November 21, 2012 • Display Specs Page • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures • Finance New Lower Rates!

This is on barnstormers classifieds.

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• page1.jpg
    page1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 37
  • page2.jpg
    page2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 28
  • page3.jpg
    page3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 27
  • page4.jpg
    page4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 28
Personally, not impressed.

http://helmnav.com/HelmX650Specifications.htm

$2295 for a windows box and GPS chipset that still requires you to source and run your own GPS / Nav software? Whatcha gonna pick? Flight Cheetah? Anywheremap?

Not IFR certified?

A snap-in tray mount to "wink-wink" keep it portable? Didn't AirGizmo have inconsistent FSDO acceptance with that route?
TRAY.png
X650MOUNTAIN.png

I-pad/Nexus, Foreflight/wingX, and a Ram mount would seem to be a better fit for most.

Personally, not impressed.

http://helmnav.com/HelmX650Specifications.htm

$2295 for a windows box and GPS chipset that still requires you to source and run your own GPS / Nav software? Whatcha gonna pick? Flight Cheetah? Anywheremap?

Not IFR certified?

A snap-in tray mount to "wink-wink" keep it portable? Didn't AirGizmo have inconsistent FSDO acceptance with that route?
TRAY.png
X650MOUNTAIN.png

I-pad/Nexus, Foreflight/wingX, and a Ram mount would seem to be a better fit for most.

WingX I believe is coming out with a Win8 version, I think it's an interesting rig, might be a neat right side rig. Problem with the iPad is not enough nits.

Last edited:
Whoopee. Can't sub for any required instrument, and isn't IFR approved. Might as well velcro your iPad up there for a lot less than $2300.

I know someone installing this in a certain twin engined Cessna. He's excited about it.

Been there done that with Flight cheetah! What a mess!! I eventually drank the Garmin koolaid and have never looked back.....

The problem with BYO software is there isn't anything good that leaves the US very far so far.

Back