Only in aviation could this be real......

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
In the latest US AOPA online newsletter

Calling it “Total Eclipse,” meaning it has all the features originally promised by the former owners, the new owners of Eclipse have rolled out a factory refurbishment program. The Total Eclipse program marks the completion of the final design of the original EA500 aircraft. In September 2009, Eclipse Aerospace Inc. embarked on a mission to finish the design and promised capabilities of the breakthrough Eclipse 500. The EA500 jet now includes FIKI (flight into known icing) and a GPS-coupled autopilot

WOW is all I can say. A GPS coupled autopilot is a massive technological breakthrough. It's no wonder they went bust; getting that certified must have cost them at least $100M.

Will this autopilot need a Type Rating even though it is below 12500lb?

Maybe they found an easier certification route by driving the autopilot from the specially IFR certified Garmin 496 which I recall was fitted in the "de luxe" models.

(Chuckle)

Peter, you hit a chord with that one.

Much of what was never completed seemed so painfully elementary. One can hope these guys succeed, and they certainly can if they don't get too ambitious. There's a good market for anyone who can, for rational money, make the existing fleet genuinely operational, as well as (of course) providing parts and technical support.

Did I just include "rational" with "money" in a post about jet ownership? Silly me!

Some are beyond help.

I agree with Spike that the (potential) fleet size is sufficient to support a parts and service company, and will be required if the owners expect to operate their airplanes for any significant time period. Accordingly, at some point I'd expect most of them to end up in flyable condition.

I would also bet against the success of a production re-start in the foreseeable future.

I'm sure Wayne will stop by momentarily to chastise you. :D

Back