Online wind calculator

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When you call fss, you get what sounds like a calculated wind for your route and altitude in three segments, as if it is punched in and numbers are spit out (they never hesitate, as if they are studying a chart)
Is such a thing available online?
I see the charted winds online but numbers would help me better.

(Actually what would be even better would be a head/tailwind component instead of a vector in number form.)

The old AOPA flight planer used to do it. I know know if the new ones does now or not.... That is the only free one that I know about.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Is such a thing available online?
I see the charted winds online but numbers would help me better.

(Actually what would be even better would be a head/tailwind component instead of a vector in number form.)
Fltplan.com will do this. It takes a little bit of work to set up your account and your airplane's profile but it's free. It gives you the winds every 100 miles and also the average headwind or tailwind.

Golden eagle also does this for you. With the side view enabled you will also see the winds speed at each alitude and the cloud base reports.

Cool, I'll try that.
Here's another one:

Is there a chart published online that depicts ISA+ and ISA- areas in a visual form, so you can see -generally- if you are going to be in colder or warmer air than standard along your route?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Cool, I'll try that.
Here's another one:

Is there a chart published online that depicts ISA+ and ISA- areas in a visual form, so you can see -generally- if you are going to be in colder or warmer air than standard along your route?
look on adds.aviationweather.gov (no "www.")...it's in the "winds and temps" tab.

MauleSkinner said:
look on adds.aviationweather.gov (no "www.")...it's in the "winds and temps" tab.

By gosh you're right and I thank you, I'd never checked the Temp Diff button before.

And fltplan.com is pretty extensive, has everything as promised.

(goldeneagle is not freeware?)

Last edited:
DUATS flight planner also gives you the winds aloft at the altitude you select and adjusts GS accordingly.

Last edited:
Golden Eagle comes in two downloadable flavors: a free version and a payware version. You have to look a little carefully at the site to find the download for the free version. I use it all the time. I finally figured out how to print the routeplan in kneeboard size so I don't have to switch between AOPA Flt planner and Golden Eagle. I usually cross-check flight plans with those two, anyway.

Back