Online stock trading

I went up and opened an account with Schwab back when Kent was first inquiring. Was concerned about my business and purchased quite a few puts on a homebuilder stock as a hedge, left the rest in cash. It's worked out very well.

Sold that position a few weeks ago and purchased puts on the S&P 500 and a commercial RE REIT--I'm well ahead. Guess we'll see what happens. I'm not seeing a thing that would make me invest in the market yet (other than being in puts).

Didn't put a lot of money in, about 10% of what I had liquid. Looked at it as an insurance policy if things went bad; that policy has doubled what I originally invested.

Best,

Dave

Textron - TXT

Possibly the best deal out there right now. It is aviation related too!(Cessna) In my opinion it's fair value is in the 40s.

Pick some up.

Textron - TXT

Possibly the best deal out there right now. It is aviation related too!(Cessna) In my opinion it's fair value is in the 40s.

Pick some up.

I'll buy it with your money, not mine. The MACD is negative, the STO is negative, the FE is low and the price pattern is zero. Never mind the fact that institutional money is leaving the stock in droves.

However, YMMV.

I'll buy it with your money, not mine. The MACD is negative, the STO is negative, the FE is low and the price pattern is zero. Never mind the fact that institutional money is leaving the stock in droves.

However, YMMV.

I already have...

We'll wait and see who's right on this one. ;)

Look at the management teams. It's all about management.

Heard an interview this morning with a business analyst/professor (who testified on the Hill this week about the auto bailout) who absolutely ripped Citi management, the Big 3 auto management, and the UAW for causing this mess. His view is that it's all about management and compensation.

If they post an MP3 of the interview, I'll link to it.

Textron - TXT

...It is aviation related too!(Cessna) In my opinion it's fair value is in the 40s.

In addition to Cessna they're also Lycoming engines and Bell Helicopter.

I've not picked up any new stocks at this point, I'm just riding through with what I have. Nope, my account is not looking pretty at the moment, but nobody's will for a little while.

Now is a good time to buy, I think, as the bottom I do not believe is much further. The short-term investing a lot of people are doing right now due to high volatility has been good for those people, but bad for the market as a whole. Of course, if I'd participated in it, I would have made a good sum of money.

Remember most mutual fund managers don't beat the market long term ...

Textron - TXT

Pick some up.

Well, a modest gain of ~ $4 a share since then but quite a ride in the meantime, eh? ;)

The current run up in the stock market is whistling past the grave yard...
99% of people who buy and sell stocks will lose money..
Cash is king for the foreseeable future in this country...
But be aware that cash is losing value every day as the Fed continues to print dollars to fund unsustainable entitlement programs...
So do not hold cash...
Hold it as bags of silver coins, or collectible toys, high end guns, antiques, military items, medieval swords, coins, movie posters, postage stamps, vinyl records, figurines, fishing plugs, tube stereo amps, and on, and on...
The key here is not to just buy something to hold, it is to actually understand the market for that item - become a collector...
The time and energy you would put into chasing stocks (based on 'tips' that really are nothing more than bait for the gullible put out by the slick and the quick) should be spent in learning about something you have an interest in - be that Barbie Dolls, ancient coins, or Fender Stratocaster's...
Be aware that if you do make a profit in the stock market (unlikely), they are going to tax the snot out of you...
If you buy something of value from a private party there is no sales commission, and if you sell that item for a profit there is no income tax...
It only takes a small profit percentage on a Movie Poster to exceed a much, much, larger profit percentage on trading short term stocks...
When the stock market corrects from the current absurd high there will be no warning, you will wake up and discover that your stock has dumped 10/15/20 percent in overnight trading...
And the day that China decides to settle their trade disputes with the USA by refusing to buy any government securities at that weekly auction, the stock market will close within 10 minutes of opening and your stock holdings will be frozen... It won't last long, 2 or 3 days, but when the US government eats crow (no choice) and China begins buying our debt again, the market will be down 50%...
The long term trend here is that the chinks and the saudis know that the dollars they currently hold lose value every day they are held... The only way to capture the present value (PV) of their dollars is to trade them for something real - dirt/aspen condos/restaurant chains/collectible cars/etc... They are, and will continue to be, buyers for everything of value in this country, which will continue to drive up the value of those holdings.. Now you and I cannot buy a 50 million dollar building in Manhattan, but we can park our money in smaller things that will appreciate both in value in todays dollars (PV) and will inflate in tomorrows price as the dollar is inflated by the fed...

OK, off my soap box...

cheers,

denny-o

Umm...the tax rate for the gain on the sale of collectibles is very similar to the gain on sales of stock provided you hold on to them longer than a year. Of course a lot of people apparently don't report collectible sales profits but that is another matter altogether.

I will agree that cash sucks at the moment :(

Last edited:
Umm...the tax rate for the gain on the sale of collectibles is very similar to the gain on sales of stock provided you hold on to them longer than a year. Of course a lot of people apparently don't report collectible sales profits but that is another matter altogether.

I will agree that cash sucks at the moment :(

This is a web page that will shed some light on this subject.

http://defeatthedebt.com/

scroll down until you see "they never saw it coming" and read about the countries that printed too much money.

Argentina is a prime example.

My first time into this thread. No comment to add except that I found this quote somewhat amusing: "including cases in the UK, Netherlands, Wisconsin, and Texas"

The quote was related to a Garmin/TomTom lawsuit.

Talk about strange bedfellows.

This is a web page that will shed some light on this subject.

http://defeatthedebt.com/

scroll down until you see "they never saw it coming" and read about the countries that printed too much money.

Argentina is a prime example.
Germany before WWII is another example, that they don't show.

I use Think or Swim. With them you can trade stocks, options and futures. They have a great trading platform. They were recently acquired by TD Ameritrade however Tom Sosnof and Scott Sheridan, the co-founders, still run Think or Swim. www.thinkorswim.com

Gold! Gold, I say! They outlawed it in the Great Depression but I still owned it! And look at me now!

I use Think or Swim. With them you can trade stocks, options and futures. They have a great trading platform. They were recently acquired by TD Ameritrade however Tom Sosnof and Scott Sheridan, the co-founders, still run Think or Swim. www.thinkorswim.com

I use the same and have been pleased. Their analysis is very good.

I use the same and have been pleased. Their analysis is very good.

OOOH. I like that they will let you download and use their desk trading software with two "fake money" accounts each funded with $100K... and you can start over at any time?? What a great way to learn!

OOOH. I like that they will let you download and use their desk trading software with two "fake money" accounts each funded with $100K... and you can start over at any time?? What a great way to learn!

Yeah, and if you run 'em down to $50k, you'll know trading ain't for you! :ihih:

Exactly. I used the "play" accounts for several months until I was comfortable with analyzing the analysis.

Investopedia.com also has free 100k games. Been doing ok.

Back