Online MBA's

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Since we've got such a wide variety of people here ...

I'm looking at working on an online MBA program. Are some MBA's (or the university name) better than others? Here's a couple I'm looking at below. I'm really not sure what I need to be looking for or avoiding...

Franklin Vantage MBA

Daniel Webster

I am looking at doing this for career development; my employer will reimburse for most of the tuition as long as it is a concentration that would be a good fit in the department, and both of the above have been given the green light.

I know that some universities will not accept online degrees or classes if you try and transfer those credits to said institution. I'm pretty sure that Grand Valley State won't accept any classes taken through University of Phoenix online. I'd check that out. Generally though if it's a good brick and mortar school there's no way to determine whether or not you physically went to class to get a degree or did it online. My sister's ex brother in law got his degree (in person) from Franklin. Pretty good school.

I can't find much on the accreditation for either of the schools. It depends on what you want. I have an MBA from a brick and mortar school, and perhaps I'm one of the Neanderthals that doesn't think much of the 'online degree' system.

Ohio has some great schools in it, and I encourage you to dig a bit deeper before investing in a degree for the letters, and not the knowledge.

Since we've got such a wide variety of people here ...

I'm looking at working on an online MBA program. Are some MBA's (or the university name) better than others? Here's a couple I'm looking at below. I'm really not sure what I need to be looking for or avoiding...

Franklin Vantage MBA

Daniel Webster

I am looking at doing this for career development; my employer will reimburse for most of the tuition as long as it is a concentration that would be a good fit in the department, and both of the above have been given the green light.

One of the most respected programs in the world.

http://www.ebsglobal.net/

What are you looking for out of a program? THe education or the interaction with others.

One of the best things I found about the MBA program (I did an accelerated Executive MBA) was the interaction with others and the bonds that formed. I consider that as important as the stuff I learned. Big plus if the online program you choose offers the ability for personal interaction - and if it has folks that are similarly situated to you going through at the same time.

YMMV, and everyone has different goals for their education.

My only experience with online education is in a different field (science), so my opinion may or may not be vary applicable to the programs you're looking at... but I would be *very* cautious when picking a program. Many of my students turn to online courses when a course at their home institution (like mine) is too hard. A lot of these online courses are a joke, no one upholds any standards at all, and they just take students' money and they get meaningless credits. (For instance, I know of online science courses where the students can take the tests over and over again, as many times as they want until they are satisfied with their grade. What kind of education is that??) The lowering-of-standards situation is horrible, at least in my field. MBA's are a very different matter, though, so maybe it's different in that field.

My advice is to make sure that the program is appropriately accredited, has rigorous standards, and that there is a *person* whose job it is to make sure that the program adheres to those standards. (Too often these online things are just kind of slapped together without oversight.) As others have said, you're most likely to find this at an also-brick-and-mortar school. Bill's advice about interpersonal interaction is also right-on.

--Kath

My only experience with online education is in a different field (science), so my opinion may or may not be vary applicable to the programs you're looking at... but I would be *very* cautious when picking a program. Many of my students turn to online courses when a course at their home institution (like mine) is too hard. A lot of these online courses are a joke, no one upholds any standards at all, and they just take students' money and they get meaningless credits. (For instance, I know of online science courses where the students can take the tests over and over again, as many times as they want until they are satisfied with their grade. What kind of education is that??) The lowering-of-standards situation is horrible, at least in my field. MBA's are a very different matter, though, so maybe it's different in that field.

My advice is to make sure that the program is appropriately accredited, has rigorous standards, and that there is a *person* whose job it is to make sure that the program adheres to those standards. (Too often these online things are just kind of slapped together without oversight.) As others have said, you're most likely to find this at an also-brick-and-mortar school. Bill's advice about interpersonal interaction is also right-on.

--Kath

I'm not sure I understand your objection to the emboldend point. Are you saying that being able to continue studying and raising your grade is detrimental to the actual eduacation?

Thanks, guys...

Henning, EBS looks tempting. They say they have like 350 testing stations, so I sent them an email to try and figure out if there is one near here, but no response yet.

I'm sure there will be, nearly any acredited university can proctor your exam. It was available in Wichita Falls TX, so I suspect you'll find somewhere in Ohio nearby.

--Kath
When MIT goes online, I think it'll be time for me to turn it in......

What are you looking for out of a program? THe education or the interaction with others.

One of the best things I found about the MBA program (I did an accelerated Executive MBA) was the interaction with others and the bonds that formed. I consider that as important as the stuff I learned. Big plus if the online program you choose offers the ability for personal interaction - and if it has folks that are similarly situated to you going through at the same time.

I need to finish my undergrad first (which I'm doing now), but I've looked at EMBA programs from a few schools. I really like the Wharton and Chicago programs, and my company has hinted that they would sponsor me...

Speed, the biggest asset (IMO) of an MBA really is the "network" you build -- at least in the financial and general management world. I work with a lot of people who "slammed out" an MBA at a local school at night and really didn't get much out of it. Yes, they now understand accounting, and the time-value of money, but not much else IMO. The "Ivy" MBA guys, while some can be a little stuck up, tend to bring a far stronger skillset to bear that is applicable in a job asking for an MBA...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I need to finish my undergrad first (which I'm doing now), but I've looked at EMBA programs from a few schools. I really like the Wharton and Chicago programs, and my company has hinted that they would sponsor me...

Speed, the biggest asset (IMO) of an MBA really is the "network" you build -- at least in the financial and general management world. I work with a lot of people who "slammed out" an MBA at a local school at night and really didn't get much out of it. Yes, they now understand accounting, and the time-value of money, but not much else IMO. The "Ivy" MBA guys, while some can be a little stuck up, tend to bring a far stronger skillset to bear that is applicable in a job asking for an MBA...

Cheers,

-Andrew

EBS doesn't require an undergrad degree, but if you have one you can cut two of the classes.

UMUC? I did an XMGA there back in '91-92. I enjoyed the program very much, the cohort as well as the instructors. A lot of work, but very rewarding.

I asked my dad this (online vs. physical school; small local college vs. major university) a couple of years ago before returning to finish my Bachelor's degree. He has to hire a lot of folks for a large corporation.

His idea was: If you don't mind working for a few years within a couple hundred miles of the small college you are attending, then it's ok to save money and go small/local. If you want to have opportunity to move anywhere in the country, a major university college of business is the way to go. If you want to do online, the major university route (if possible) is the best bet again. An MBA is not an MBA is not an MBA - unfortunately, the return address on your diploma does have merit. Stick with something major or well-known in the business community. I think Business Week does an annual comparison of popular business schools as well as online schools. Check there for what they recommend. His basis for his 'rules' was: They get a LARGE number of resume/applications when a position is advertised. For their initial 'weeding' they filter out the easy stuff first to shorten the stack. If they don't recognize the school name, and unless you have a ton of experience in lieu of the name-brand school, you go to the 'maybe next time' stack.

This may not be the same process for every company out there, but he works for a fairly large corp, and he is high enough up (has an 'O' at the end of his title) that I think his judgment has been accepted by the company in general.

Last edited:
Is that "Chicago" as in "University of Chicago"? Leslie got her MBA from there (brick & mortar). I wasn't aware they had an on-line program. If so, heck, maybe I'LL do it! :) I feel confident that they wouldn't bumb down the content for the on-line market. WAY too much to lose! :yes:

Is that "Chicago" as in "University of Chicago"? Leslie got her MBA from there (brick & mortar). I wasn't aware they had an on-line program. If so, heck, maybe I'LL do it! :) I feel confident that they wouldn't bumb down the content for the on-line market. WAY too much to lose! :yes:

I'm not sure if they have anything online -- but they have a concentrated EMBA program that looks really nice, and their economists have earned a reputation of being amongst the worlds best (if they are known as hardcore supply-siders and free-marketeers, but that's OK).

Cheers,

-Andrew

Anyone contemplating going to UOP, I would counsel against it. I taught there for one semester and I can say;

Never Again.

It was a nightmare, the curriculum standards are a joke, and the student is in charge of any and all grading, as long as their check clears.

An MBA degree is very traditional coursework specifically in business. Most schools have adopted the 'case review' method of instruction, and for a few classes like stats they stick with traditional lecture-exam coursework. I've taught at a few schools now, and there is no way I would advise anyone to get any traditional degree online. I don't make any money through instruction anymore, but my experience has been that the online schools grads are well below the standards for brick and mortar well-established schools.

So, that goes back to my original question. Do you want the letters, or do you want the skills? Cause if you're just going to get the letters behind your name at your company's expense, do what you like. If you actually want to learn about business, find a classroom, and put in the hours.

Back