Online CFI Renewal

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
Does anyone have any recommendations for online CFI renewal courses? I have looked at Jepp's and Gleim's. Any you like better?
Mine expires in March and I am gonna get a head start.

i think that american flyers has a lifetime renewal thing for one price. i know a few who have done it that way.

ever consider just going to a FIRC in the area? or adding on a rating to the CFI? I know neither are as easy and convenient as doing it online, but i dont really believe, personally, that going through questions on your computer at home is an adequate test of your CFI-dom to issue a renewal.

i think that american flyers has a lifetime renewal thing for one price. i know a few who have done it that way.

ever consider just going to a FIRC in the area? or adding on a rating to the CFI? I know neither are as easy and convenient as doing it online, but i dont really believe, personally, that going through questions on your computer at home is an adequate test of your CFI-dom to issue a renewal.

I've renewed by adding ratings & also done it by computer, which I prefer unless I need a new rating.

All methods including FIRC seminars are just tools providing information, so it's mainly the CFI's integrity that will gleen the most from any of a number of acceptable methods. The FIRC seminars are the least efficient for time spent, but some are free at least for the $ challenged CFI.

Last edited:
come to think of it my FIRC experience was not normal, as it was one put on by the Soaring Safety Foundation and was attended by only about 10 CFI-Gliders from around the area. This allowed us to have great one on one time with the presenters. Probably not typical of most Airplane FIRCs.

Each time I've done it on line, I've used Gleim, and the experience was such that the next time I do it on line, I will use Gleim again. Printing out the lessons provides a marvelous reference book.

Does anyone know if the completion of one of the CFI online renewal courses provides the required endorsement for the ground instructor:
§ 61.217 Recent experience requirements.

The person has received an endorsement from an authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the person has demonstrated safisfactory[sic] proficiency in the subject areas prescribed in §61.213 (a)(3) and (a)(4), as applicable.

§ 61.213 Eligibility requirements.

(3) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, pass a knowledge test on the fundamentals of instructing to include—
(i) The learning process;
(ii) Elements of effective teaching;
(iii) Student evaluation and testing;
(iv) Course development;
(v) Lesson planning; and
(vi) Classroom training techniques.
(4) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas in—
(i) For a basic ground instructor rating §§61.97, 61.105, and 61.309;
(ii) For an advanced ground instructor rating §§61.97, 61.105, 61.125, 61.155, and 61.309; and
(iii) For an instrument ground instructor rating, §61.65.

I would expect that all these areas would be covered, but the reg doesn't seem to go into what constitutes an "approved flight instructor refresher course"

§ 61.197 Renewal of flight instructor certificates.

(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.

I like and have been using Gleim. I may try AOPA/Jepp next time though, as it seemed like every page I got to Gleim was pushing Gleim products. I don't need sales pitches on every page...

I used Gleim two years ago and Jepp two years before that. Jepp is more multimedia oriented with video and audio clips. This made it a very time consuming process on dial-up. That's why I switched to Gleim, which is (or was at the time) more bandwidth-friendly. I think they both provided similar information.

I've also attended AOPA's version of the FIRC, but that was years ago. I remember that the speakers were generally pretty good and I enjoyed the format and the interaction with other people.

Back