'One Small Step' + 50 years

Today’s Google doodle has a nice 4 minute animation narrated by Michael Collins that sums up the mission really well for all the non-space geeks.

For the rest of us, there’s Nat Geo, History, Smithsonian, YouTube, and POA this weekend.

Wow... half a century ago, and there I was watching that first step on my parents old Zenith.

How did the time go by so fast.???

1osh30.jpg

In the Mission Operations Control Room MOCR nearly exactly 50 years after the landing. There is a very good recreation of the displays and audio from key moments.

2cbc593dac8d9318051712667e73d62f.jpg

My sister worked on that for the last three years. She said she’s bored now. Ha.

Listened to an interview of the guys talking about Borman throwing up all over the place and how they never truly got the CSM really cleaned up the rest of the flight. And how it smelled lovely. :)

I had the scale model of the LEM/Landing Module and command module.

During the mission, I named three tiny frogs Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong and moved them between the modules as the mission progressed.

I attached a helium balloon to the LEM when they blasted off from the moon's surface. Never saw them again...

revell-rv03700-apollo-11-columbia-eagle-.jpg
They have a 50th anniversary version out now...

I need to get that kit and maybe a couple others. No real time to build them now but winter will be here some time and would enjoy it.

I had the scale model of the LEM/Landing Module and command module.

During the mission, I named three tiny frogs Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong and moved them between the modules as the mission progressed.

I attached a helium balloon to the LEM when they blasted off from the moon's surface. Never saw them again...

View attachment 76137
They have a 50th anniversary version out now...

I had that model or a similar one

Today’s Google doodle has a nice 4 minute animation narrated by Michael Collins that sums up the mission really well for all the non-space geeks.

For the rest of us, there’s Nat Geo, History, Smithsonian, YouTube, and POA this weekend.
Don't forget Robert Stone's Chasing the Moon, available on PBS.org.

American Experience on PBS also has a number of Apollo related episodes.

Back