One more milestone in the book

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Took the IR knowledge exam today after three intense days of self review using the SheppardAir product. Prior to my cram session, I had been picking through various texts such as Dogan, Gardner, the FAA books, and the FAA Weather AC's.

Score = 88% :yes:

The SheppardAir memory aid sheet was very useful. I took about 5-8 minutes before starting in on the questions to replicate as much as I could on the supplied scratch paper. Several of the questions I had to answer were right from this sheet, including the 1:33 hold over DRO, compass error, a hold question, and primary and supporting instruments.

Very few weather questions and only 3 on icing (use of boots, use tactile to find ice, and wing ice affecting takeoff performance).

Questions I remember missing were one of the holding questions, one of the illusion questions, a BARO-NAV/LNAV minimums question, "what causes the altimeter to read lower than it should", "what is RVR", and one other one I changed but had right the first time.

Two questions I had were on required rate of climb. Saved them for last and sort was fretting on how to solve them until I got the idea to look in the front of the supplement book for information on RVR. Stumbled on the Rate of Climb table there and that made answering the questions muuuuucccch simpler.

I'm glad I remembered the front of the book had loads of information that answers the test questions... I was able to confirm my answers on some of the Low Enroute Charts (like MOCA, MEA, etc) from the legends, charts, and write ups there. BIG TIP to future students is to not forget that part of the book is available to you.

----------------------

Had 5 of the "new" FAA questions. From memory, I can share 4 of them. (Wording is my paraphrasing and not the official stuff)

1. If you're on a GPS Approach, and your IFR Certified GPS doesn't go into "approach mode", you:

(a) Execute the missed approach
(b) Proceed on the approach to LNAV mins
(c) Delay the approach, trying to "fix" the problem and re-engage the GPS to go into "approach mode

2. When the FAA designs Instrument Procedures, the standard climb rate they work around is

(a) 500 ft/min
(b) 2 nm/min
(c) 4 nm/min

3. (Refer to the figure of KOSH). What is the slope of Runway 4?

(a) 0.4% up
(b) 0.5% up
(c) 0.5% down

4. (refer to the GNATS6 departure). Can you execute this departure at max gross weight, 90 knots, and still meet the required climb rate?

(a) yes
(b) use runway32 (which has a lower climb rate)
(c) must wait for a VFR day

Took the IR knowledge exam today after three intense days of self review using the SheppardAir product. Prior to my cram session, I had been picking through various texts such as Dogan, Gardner, the FAA books, and the FAA Weather AC's.

Score = 88% :yes:
Clearly, you studied 18% too hard. :D Congratulations! :applause:
Had 5 of the "new" FAA questions. From memory, I can share 4 of them. (Wording is my paraphrasing and not the official stuff)

1. If you're on a GPS Approach, and your IFR Certified GPS doesn't go into "approach mode", you:

(a) Execute the missed approach
(b) Proceed on the approach to LNAV mins
(c) Delay the approach, trying to "fix" the problem and re-engage the GPS to go into "approach mode
Fair question, I think.

2. When the FAA designs Instrument Procedures, the standard climb rate they work around is

(a) 500 ft/min
(b) 2 nm/min
(c) 4 nm/min
Pretty easy if those are the three choices they gave you. The number of aircraft able to climb better than 12,000 ft/min is rather small. However, the bigger issue for safety is minimum climb gradient, not standard climb rate.

3. (Refer to the figure of KOSH). What is the slope of Runway 4?

(a) 0.4% up
(b) 0.5% up
(c) 0.5% down
Should also be pretty easy.

4. (refer to the GNATS6 departure). Can you execute this departure at max gross weight, 90 knots, and still meet the required climb rate?

(a) yes
(b) use runway32 (which has a lower climb rate)
(c) must wait for a VFR day
Good question with real practical application -- makes you integrate a number of knowledge areas (assuming they gave you the aircraft performance data).

Good question with real practical application -- makes you integrate a number of knowledge areas (assuming they gave you the aircraft performance data).

They did. And it was one I wish I had a better memory of the wording so we could review it in person.

They did. And it was one I wish I had a better memory of the wording so we could review it in person.
Don't worry -- I cover that as part of the training, with sample problems. You can dig into AIM Section 5-2-8 if you want to get ahead of the game.

Hey congrats! Dont forget to email Sheppadair those questions and I believe your test prep will be refunded.

Back