One for the docs (or anyone with experience)

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Since I've been partially laid off, I've cut back on flying, but the extra time I have is being spent on home repairs.

My problem - heights.

I had a summer job in college cleaning windows and it was all I could do to do anything other than wrap myself around whatever I could reach.

Now, almost 25 yrs later, I've been working a little on the house, 2nd story windows, and that phobia hasn't gotten any better.

I know the rational explanations against it - center of gravity and all the rest, but it just can't seem to sink in.

Funny thing, I have never had any fear of heights in any aircraft I've ever been in.

Is there a way to desensitize?

What I really want to do is get a one-story ranch house - with siding or brick - then I can handle everything from a step ladder.

My friend Dave (RIP) used to say that he wasn't afraid of heights, only edges. Having seen so many friends really "busted up" from ladder-related events, I have sworn off. If you figure out how to conquer the fear, please PM those who want to know and keep it out of public view.

Since I've been partially laid off, I've cut back on flying, but the extra time I have is being spent on home repairs.

My problem - heights.

I had a summer job in college cleaning windows and it was all I could do to do anything other than wrap myself around whatever I could reach.

Now, almost 25 yrs later, I've been working a little on the house, 2nd story windows, and that phobia hasn't gotten any better.

I know the rational explanations against it - center of gravity and all the rest, but it just can't seem to sink in.

Funny thing, I have never had any fear of heights in any aircraft I've ever been in.

Is there a way to desensitize?

What I really want to do is get a one-story ranch house - with siding or brick - then I can handle everything from a step ladder.

I don't want to LIKE working on ladders or heights, I just want to be able to do it if I need to. Believe me, I'm not doing it for fun.

I don't want to LIKE working on ladders or heights, I just want to be able to do it if I need to. Believe me, I'm not doing it for fun.

I find that my ladder is pretty shaky when I haven't been on it for a long time. But after a day or two of climbing, it gets much better.

There are probably lots of methods.

Lots of people tend to say that laying on a couch at 18" AGL in a green pastel colored peace inducing room and talking to someone with a calming voice helps. I never figured that one out since it's the exact opposite environment that's causing the problem in the first place. To each his own though.

I come from the deep end of the lake no life jackets swimming school so take that for what it is. I do carefully and systematically get people over unrealistic fears of heights, water, power tools (not while working in water though) and the real world in general on a regular basis. The best method I've discovered so far is to progressively introduce them to what scares them under controlled conditions in a manner that's not terrifying.

IMO, exposure to the environment helps. If the only time you're ever up high is to go straight to the top of a rickety ladder then work on something precarious, you'll stay creeped out and likely make it worse since it's always a negative fear generating experience. That's no good.

Try a different approach to heights:
Go up 2-4 steps up and stay there a while and get use to it until it's no big deal. Go up another step until that's comfortable. Then another step. At various levels as you get use to them, go back to the bottom for a minute then climb back to the last previous comfortable level, get comfortable again then go up another step or two. Go up and down half a dozen times to the same comfortable level if you need to. The whole up and down bit tends to help people more than just staying up there until they get over it. Repeat the process until you're out of steps...or can find a taller ladder. At each level, don't stand there worrying about how far away the ground is or how hard it will slam into you. Distract yourself from all that gravity at the bottom by doing something else like enjoying the view out near the horizon or reading a book or whatever. Part of the idea is to learn that what you're doing has positive feedback, not just loaded full of negative fear generating stuff. Do the same thing again tomorrow and several times next week and the week after that to reinforce the lessons you learned. If it's been a while and you have to go up a ladder next week, start the process again before you have to actually be up high.

Don't worry about the ground. It's pretty well behaved and rather good at staying down there on it's own. Just concentrate on what you're doing. Once you quit watching the ground and are actually doing what you're up there to do, you can be at 5ft AGL or 300ft AGL and it's basically all the same. Seriously, you can put your actual altitude completely out of your mind by doing what you're there for. (Many times I finished doing what I was doing at altitude and remembered I was triple digits off the ground after putting my tools away when I took a look around. I could have been at 3ft AGL the whole time and it wouldn't have made a difference)

Go slow and keep progressing. Just one inch past your current comfort zone each time really helps. You won't likely make it to the top of a 300ft tower and installing an unwieldy antenna by yourself with both hands while leaning backwards into empty air by lunchtime however you can get there eventually if you really want to.

On a side note, I prefer wooden ladders over aluminum ones. Wood ladders warn you a long long time before they dump you on your butt. Aluminum goes from all happy solid feeling to falling apart in about a billionth of a second.

Last edited:
I dislike ladders. My last house had me on the roof a good, still didn't like it. Edges are funny things. Used to BASE jump a bit and it was interesting to see how many folks don't like being around the edge but are willing to jump off.

Work for a year as an Iron Worker on the high iron with the Indians from upper NY State. You may loose your fear.. but you will be for ever cautious.

They have no fear.

Work for a year as an Iron Worker on the high iron with the Indians from upper NY State. You may loose your fear.. but you will be for ever cautious.

They have no fear.

I know a guy down the street that works high iron - bridges, power-plants, whatever. He says the safety lines make him feel too constricted so he does without.

I do get more used to it after I've been working on it for a while - there's still that gut-bind feeling though. I guess it's all about finding and expanding limits. The first time on a ladder in a long time and I'm really hugging it - after a days' work, though, I'm feeling a little more relaxed.

Strap some wings on you when you are on the ladder and pretend you are an airplane? :D

I don't mind being ON ladders, I don't mind being on the tops of buildings or cliffs, or whatever - even at the edge. I really dislike getting on and off the ladder at the top.

I really dislike getting on and off the ladder at the top.

me too.

i've given lots of people airplane rides who were "afraid of heights". as long as they have a seat and a floor under them the really don't get the sensation of altitude.

I will say that a few times when I was flying the supercub with the door open, in a steep slipping turn, I started to get that 'over the edge' feeling. Also when going to slightly less than 0 G, upside down, in the Stearman. When there is nothing between me and the ground except the seat belt, I start to get a little worried.

They have no fear.

When I worked in construction over 10 years ago, I was with a crew of insulators, who put scaffolding on industrial reactors and structures and then proceeded to apply fireproofing cement to girders on all sides. As their safety guy I could have stayed on the ground and played with paperwork, but I just couldn't do that in good conscience.. and plus I would have been bored.

When i first climbed up the stairs into these incomplete structures of girders and gratings, I was hesitant to be within arms reach of the rails, 200 feet in the air. Never a panicky fear, but still a strong aversion of the edge. Over time, with increase comfort developed progressively, by the end of the job, I was stepping on girders on the outside of the rail, to help guide crane-borne loads in (grabbing the guy line, turning the load)

Just find things to do at a slightly fear provoking height. Once you can work without focusing on the height, step up a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back