One for Flying Cheesehead - Kent

flyingcheesehead said:
Cool! I wonder how one even gets in the competition at the state level. I never got invited. :(

...... dunno; when I was with the old Value House catalogue showroom chain we had a guy who drove 5-axle from warehouses to showrooms distribution. One year he won the state competition in his category; then went on to take First Place in the Nationals. Watching him maneuver his long rig between a fleet of boxes and into the available loading dock -- and in a single pass -- was nothing short of poetry in motion. But, all you other guys do that, too.
My brother just relocated from Page, AZ to St. George, UT. He's driving 5-axles and double and/or triples from St. George to Las Vegas, Reno, etc. (And no loading/unloading as when he owned his own tractor and 3 boxes[which are for sale] ).

HR

Lawreston said:
Watching him maneuver his long rig between a fleet of boxes and into the available loading dock -- and in a single pass -- was nothing short of poetry in motion. But, all you other guys do that, too.

Well, some of us do anyway. The rest pay those of us who can 20 bucks a pop to do it for them. :D Actually, it's rather unfortunate - Companies like Swift have such high turnover (and it's on purpose too) that most of their trainers can't even back up.

The backing job I was proudest of (wish I'd had a video camera) was at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. It wasn't a semi, it was a straight truck with a 31-foot cargo trailer. The rest of my vehicles (this is when I was txp mgr for a drum corps) followed me to the stadium, but this last one had to fuel. We coned off a spot for it behind my semi and told the parking idiots to leave a path in so the last vehicle could get in. Well, they didn't. So when they arrived, I backed it between a row of buses and the semi (we had not left room between for this beast) with about 3-4 inches of clearance on either side and parallel parked it behind the semi on the first shot. I felt like doing one of those awful touchdown dances when I finished. :goofy:

Back