One down, two to go

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
The past week has been big for flying. Since Friday, I've logged about 14 hours. Friday after work, a friend and I flew down to KLOM to see the guys there (had a great time) and he safety piloted for me. He did a great job of it, failing my vacuum system and GPS on me right after takeoff from KLOM (vacuum system on the way down, starting with attitude indicator and then a full vacuum failure).

Saturday, the same friend and I flew with my instructor to drop him off at KGRR and fly back. 8.6 logged that day, including 0.1 actual (making a total of 3.9 actual). That more than covered my IFR XC. That day I learned a lot about weather, as there was a line of thunderstorms that we avoided. What a great flight.

Yesterday, we had a 3.5 hour lesson in which I was beaten over the head with a Jeppesen book of approach plates, practicing back to back ILSs at Northeast Philly and Trenton. By the end I was worn out, doing 7 approaches in one lesson. It paid off, though. By the time I got back and did the ILS into Williamsport, it was much improved. Before I was still getting the needles centered by the time I got to DH, but it was just sloppy. Now the needles are closer to centered the whole time. That's how it should be.

The bigger milestone, though, was the written. I took it yesterday. I think they'll still pass you if you score a 90, so I suppose I did an acceptable job. :D

The part that amazes me is how much I've learned. I treat my flying in the same way I would treat college or graduate school. To me, getting my ratings is like getting a degree. It's been close to four months since I passed my private checkride. Shortly after I passed that, I safety piloted for my friend who's now since safety piloted for me, and when I looked at the approach plates and the en route low altitude charts, it made no sense to me at all. Now I look at them and know what they mean and how to interpret them. The instrument rating has been, at least so far, intense but very rewarding. I definitely have learned to control the plane better, and learned more about flying in general.

What's next? Review, and then my oral and checkride.

Cool beans! To me, the IR was the most fun and stress combined into one situation. It definitely opens the door to more opportunities for flying.

Back