Once in a lifetime flight!

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I got a rare opportunity to fly on a B-17 bomber that was at Monmouth Executive on the Tuesday the 25th. It was a wonderful experience, I put the write-up and video on my Blog, I hope you enjoy the video!

http://skier2av8or.blogspot.com/

Okay, I am beyond jealous! Nice job on the video!

Very Cool!! Nice work on the video!

I hope to take a ride when they are in Cape May around Labor Day. I did manage a few pictures when they made a stop at work (KILG).

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]9/4 - 9/7 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Cape May, NJ (B-17, B-24 & P-51)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Airport: Cape May County Airport[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Location: Naval Air Station Wildwood Museum[/FONT]

Last edited:
:eek:

Jealousy doesnt begin to describe. Amazing.

I always wondered how, in the heat of combat, those gunners managed to avoid shooting their own tail off.

Last edited:
:eek:

Jealousy doesnt begin to describe. Amazing.

I always wondered how, in the heat of combat, those gunners managed to avoid shooting their own tail off.

There were "interupters" that disabled the guns when pointed at one's own ship. Of course nothing could keep guns on one plane from shooting at their formation buddy.

Austin, that was a great entry, and I, too, am jealous.

And Ted, give me a call. I think I have a transport cage for a cat/small dog available if you're interested.

Grant: Will do!

Awesome camera work, particularly from the turret gunner post.

Can you imagine those boys - and I mean boys - taking that beautiful machine into battle; the top turrent gunners scanning the sky for the Luftwaffe; the bombardier looking through the Norden bombsite at the city that he's about to turn into an inferno; the waste gunners standing in an open window, trying to avoid shooting their own wings off, or those of their formation.

The B-17 was the first model I built when I was a kid in the 1960s. My dad, who was there (WWII), and told me all about it. I used to "wake up" when 12-O'Clock High was on, and sit on the couch with my dad, eating shoestring potatoes and watching a show about real heroes.

Thanks for the memories.

Back