On Line Purchases For Building Parts & Supplies

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
There have been an unusually large number of fraudulent purchases made with credit card numbers used at Aircraft Spruce. Another home builder's web site has reported many customers of ACS have seen fraudulent charges on their CC after buying parts there.

I'm in no way suggesting you don't use ACS, thry are the best supplier around IMHO. Just make sure to double check your statements very carefully. Look for very small amounts as "test" transactions by the thieves before they try a large one.

That is all, carry on. :D

Probably the same guys that reported fraudulent charges at Wallmart. I have used Spruce for over 30 years and never had any charges that were suspicious. They do charge 10% shipping charges on small orders however and that can really add up. They give free shipping on orders over $500 so I always waited until I needed that much stuff or got my friends to combine orders to get the free shipping.

Haven't gotten anything from Spruce for a few months, but in all the years I've used them, I've never had a bad charge show up.

No bad charges here either, and I've bought a ton over the years. I haven't used them recently though.

FYI to be vigilant. ;)

There have been an unusually large number of fraudulent purchases made with credit card numbers used at Aircraft Spruce. Another home builder's web site has reported many customers of ACS have seen fraudulent charges on their CC after buying parts there.

I'm in no way suggesting you don't use ACS, thry are the best supplier around IMHO. Just make sure to double check your statements very carefully. Look for very small amounts as "test" transactions by the thieves before they try a large one.

That is all, carry on. :D

Here's the background.

There is an ongoing thread on VAF on this topic. It is 4 pages long. There are 6 posters (as of 3:00 Eastern) who had a card compromised and think the compromise might be linked to transactions with ACS. A couple of them are pretty sure, with the others, it is a possibility.

Here's the background.

There is an ongoing thread on VAF on this topic. It is 4 pages long. There are 6 posters (as of 3:00 Eastern) who had a card compromised and think the compromise might be linked to transactions with ACS. A couple of them are pretty sure, with the others, it is a possibility.

I had it happen to me too, right after a purchase at ACS - but it happened to three of my cards within 2 days, and only one of those ever gets used for airplane stuff, so I'm fully discounting the ACS connection. I suspect my data was breached through my bank.

I had it happen to me too, right after a purchase at ACS - but it happened to three of my cards within 2 days, and only one of those ever gets used for airplane stuff, so I'm fully discounting the ACS connection. I suspect my data was breached through my bank.

Similar thing happened to me (and none was used for ACS purchases).

It also happened on a replacement card that was still in the mail to me from another account rip off. Don't know if it was breached through the bank or if it was an "inside job." Whatever, bank security cleared it up.

Keep watch on your accounts

There have been recent postings on several newsgroups regarding credit card fraud following orders placed with mail order companies. Since Aircraft Spruce was mentioned, I want to assure readers that Aircraft Spruce takes credit card security very seriously, and I'm sure most other suppliers do as well. We employ all available credit card security measures, are PIM compliant, and have had no indications of any breach of our credit card security measures. If a customer has any concern regarding credit card security, they should contact us or the appropriate supplier immediately.

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments regarding this important issue.

Jim Irwin
President
Aircraft Spruce

I hear NSA employees get to pick and choose whose credit card they use this Christmas as an employment perk.

There have been recent postings on several newsgroups regarding credit card fraud following orders placed with mail order companies. Since Aircraft Spruce was mentioned, I want to assure readers that Aircraft Spruce takes credit card security very seriously, and I'm sure most other suppliers do as well. We employ all available credit card security measures, are PIM compliant, and have had no indications of any breach of our credit card security measures. If a customer has any concern regarding credit card security, they should contact us or the appropriate supplier immediately.

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments regarding this important issue.

Jim Irwin
President
Aircraft Spruce

Thanks Jim. ACS is still the standard by which all others are measured.

I seriously doubt it was Aircraft Spruce who got their credit card database hacked. I'd bet that it was either one of the giant CC processing companies that got hacked, either that or some cyberthieves came up with an algorithm for generating large quantities of valid card numbers along with valid 3-digit security codes. I'd also bet that the CC processors and banks are hard at work on countermeasures right now too.

Probably the same guys that reported fraudulent charges at Wallmart. I have used Spruce for over 30 years and never had any charges that were suspicious. They do charge 10% shipping charges on small orders however and that can really add up. They give free shipping on orders over $500 so I always waited until I needed that much stuff or got my friends to combine orders to get the free shipping.
What 10%? I never noticed despite twice weekly purchases (slight exaggeration) over 3-4 years. Most orders were small and I always thought the shipping charges were actual shipping charges. I did learn that USPS regular mail was the real price performer and would reach me in 2 days if it was an envelope. Boxes from UPS would take 3 days unless 2nd day or better. But UPS was 100%, always on time and reliable.

Anyway, I was just contacted this AM about some fraudulent charges on my AMEX. It was clearly from a hotel in NYC where a family member paid for all the rooms but we added a day on our card. We have a receipt but were not actually charged. The family member was charged but my card was used all up and down various interstates over the next 48 hours - $40 to $60 at a time.

Anyway, Spruce Rocks!! It's hard imagining how one can build an airplane without them. Did I say ACS Rocks?

Back