On line log book program suggestions

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Hi

I am thinking about keeping records on an online log book as well as the bound paper log book. Any recommendations for an on line log book?

Thanks in advance.

www.MyFlightBook.com is the winner around here. Free to use, the dev is a member of PoA, and the accompanying smartphone app has great features and makes it simple to log your flying while in the cockpit.

Seems to be unanimous, I'll add my endorsement of myflightbook

I signed up for my flight book. Thanks for the recommendations and input.

+1 on MyFlightbook (http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Default.aspx) . It's free, allows you to export all your data (in case you want to switch some day), and has PC and Apple compatibility. Love entering my flights on the iPhone and then seeing them on my PC at home. This app rocks!

I use MyFlightbook as well. It's very convenient for filtering flights by just about any way you can think of.

I use an excel spread sheet as a back up. I know some pilots even use microsoft access to build a logbook. Put it in the cloud and you got yourself an online logbook.

+1 on MyFlightbook (http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Default.aspx) . It's free, allows you to export all your data (in case you want to switch some day), and has PC and Apple compatibility. Love entering my flights on the iPhone and then seeing them on my PC at home. This app rocks!

I like what he's done with the donors too...The product is 100% functional out of the box, and 100% free out of the box.

One of the "donor perks" is that you can have it export a copy of your logbook on a scheduled basis to your Dropbox. So, automated backup.

I tried Zululog and MyFlightBook.

I liked the interface of Zululog better, but being a commercial product (with a free version), I decided to move to MyFlightBook (also because of the reviews, and the app). MyFlightBook has better querying options in my opinion.

One thing I didn't find in MyFlightBook is takeoff logging. You can add it as an additional property, but it's a little cumbersome. My paper logbook has that column, and it's important for currency, so I'm not sure why it's not there. It would be great if I could say "add this property to every flight as a standard property".

Another thing, it seems like it only uses the full stop landings for passenger currency (I'm not sure, but I think it is so because in the list view, it lists total landings and then in parenthesis the full stop day landings with the D after the number). I could be wrong about this one though, but I find it odd that it only shows full stops in parenthesis for day landings (when this is only required for tailwheel).

Also, couldn't find how to choose which columns are displayed in the list of flights.

Still, I decided to stick with MyFlightBook, so my vote goes for that one.

My manager was just telling me about My Flight Book the other day, but I said I was content with what I had on RedOverWhite.com... Turns out, they closed up shop, and I just downloaded the My Flight Book app. I have an exported .CSV with all my date from them; Does that import into My Flight Book?

Full stop landings are also relevant to night currency.

As far as I've seen, it treats all landings for "Day" currency (TW excepted), and only FS Night for "Night" currency calculations.

If you want to confirm, go enter a "Night" flight with a bunch of T&Gs, but only 1 full stop...your "Day" currency should be extended, but not your Night.

I think I mentioned it on another semi-recent logbook thread, but I like Pilot Pro (http://pilotpro.com/)

Short story: free online logbook, does basically what a paper log does, expensive iPhone/iPad version ($35 or something), no Android version

Pros:
- Very pretty and fast website
- Web app is free
- Exports into very portable CSV if you ever want to switch
- Does what a paper logbook does (standard fields)
- Basic totalling and FAA 8710 totals
- Basic currency tracking (day/night landings, approaches)

Cons (compared to MyFlightBook):
- iOS app is expensive, Android app doesn't exist
- No crazy custom fields (can't track in-air refuelling or turns about a point)
- Can't track progress to certificates

Worth a look. I use it because the simplicity of the interface outweighs the extra functionality of MyFlightBook (which is generally just beyond what I need).

Thanks Jeff for the clarification, I was just speculating based on how it looks in the grid.

My manager was just telling me about My Flight Book the other day, but I said I was content with what I had on RedOverWhite.com... Turns out, they closed up shop, and I just downloaded the My Flight Book app. I have an exported .CSV with all my date from them; Does that import into My Flight Book?

I exported from Zululog into MyFlightBook. None of them let you customize format. You can download the template CSV from MyFlightBook, then open your exported CSV, and using Excel map the columns manually.
I did that and it worked out good, didn't really take much time.

Hi, Jim. Yep. As with any data exchange, it usually requires a little bit of column renaming from one format to the other, but I have yet to meet a spreadsheet that couldn't make the transitions. I'm always happy to help folks import their data - feel free to send me the spreadsheet (myflightbook@gmail.com), if you need help getting going.

Another vote for PilotPro. Wasn't cheap as far as apps go but I liked the use interface the best for just being a PP. Also liked how the ipad, iphone, and web app all synced and I can go back on any device and clean up and finish off all the data entry of any flight on any device.

Developers seem to respond to feedback. Made a few suggestions that have appeared to be in the works.

Hi, Jim. Yep. As with any data exchange, it usually requires a little bit of column renaming from one format to the other, but I have yet to meet a spreadsheet that couldn't make the transitions. I'm always happy to help folks import their data - feel free to send me the spreadsheet (myflightbook@gmail.com), if you need help getting going.

Eric,

I have sent in numerous columns, attributes and requests over the past couple of years. Great job, and prompt with the replies...

Back