On Garmin FliteCharts, What Say You?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I am now flying a T182T with G1000, and I am new to the G1000.

We are currently not subscribing to Garmin FliteCharts, an option available on the G1000. This option displays instrument approach charts on your MFD just as you see them on paper. Is it worth it? Currently I'm thinking my five-dollar books of recycled paper are enough. And if I understand correctly, you would still be required to carry paper charts. So what would make this option worth the investment?

Info, pros, & cons?

My checkout instructor reminded me that when in doubt about anything to do with the G1000, I can always use my "foldable moving map." :D

We are currently not subscribing to Garmin FliteCharts, an option available on the G1000. This option displays instrument approach charts on your MFD just as you see them on paper. Is it worth it?
It is $395.00 for the annual Flite Chart subscription. The books are around $6.00 each. When I am going to need an approach plate, I do pretty intensive flight planning and so far, only in a few instances has the destination airport had more procedures than I cared to print. The $395.00 covers every airport in the US, Hawaii and Alaska but I find that I do not go to a very large majority of them...:D

Currently I'm thinking my five-dollar books of recycled paper are enough.
I am close to agreeing with you.

And if I understand correctly, you would still be required to carry paper charts. So what would make this option worth the investment?
You are misunderstanding this requirement.

Info, pros, & cons?

Interesting post to me...I was looking into going ahead and subscribing FliteCharts yesterday...$395.00 per year for charts. I spent $90.00 +/- on plate books this entire year...mmmm not yet... I have seen a few discussion (but have not really delved into them deeply) about some of the Kindle 0(sp?) readers having the ability to display plates...plates acquired for free...the catch there is that YOU must do the updating and culling of old charts...I guess once proficient with the unit, it should be simple.

My checkout instructor reminded me that when in doubt about anything to do with the G1000, I can always use my "foldable moving map." :D
I did my primary and instrument training behind a G-1000 training and carried paper the entire time. Still do. Don't get me wrong, there are flights that I simply do...no charts...no sectionals or any other documentation for that matter because the data is right in the G-1000.

So in review..I can offer no advice but do find myself in the same quandry...

If you fly that airplane exclusively, the Flitecharts may be a good idea. Otherwise, stick with paper, as you can take it from plane to plane with you.

I understand your plight. I am considering the same thing. Can you actually use a Kindle to get the charts? I already have that. Anyone else have thoughts on the Kindle concept?

I understand your plight. I am considering the same thing. Can you actually use a Kindle to get the charts? I already have that. Anyone else have thoughts on the Kindle concept?

There has been a large discussion on Kindle, Kindle DX and other pdf readers for flight charts both here in PoA and on the Purpleboard along with two web great locations to download the pdf charts for those eBooks or tablet computers.

I'm sticking with paper approach charts for now as it turns out. Can't really justify the cost of the subscription charts (Garmin or Jepp) on the G1000 (yet).

Back