On finding out-of-print books

Leviticus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Leviticus
I did a search on the book sub-forum and didn't see my favorite resource mentioned, so, thought I'd bring it up.

If you're trying to find a copy of an out-of-print title the best used book source on the 'net is http://abebooks.com

Five step tutorial~

1) Look up your title on Amazon. As an example I'll use "Phantom over Vietnam," which is a great read, BTW.
2) Scroll down the page and copy the ISBN. You can copy the -10 or -13; it doesn't matter.
3) Open ABE Books and paste the ISBN into the appropriate box and hit the "Find" button.
4) A list will appear of all the copies ABE has access to in price order, from a beat-up reader copy to pristine first editions. In my example there are eight copies of the book, from $1.00 to over $134.00
5) Order it and enjoy.

I have about 300 aviation books, and the majority of them were ordered through ABE. It is a great site. About 5,000 used book stores list their inventory on the site. I select the books I want, and they can come from multiple bookstores, but only make one payment to ABE. The bookstores then fulfill the order.

It is a great site. If you have a specific book you want, then Leviticus' post above is the way to go.

In my case, I often use their advanced search and put in key words about a subject of interest -- cross country flights, or bush flying, etc -- and up pops a bunch to choose among. I can then add what I want it to be such as a first edition hardbound with dust cover and ask that the choices be listed from least expensive to most expensive.

A lot of the books that I've bought have been $1.00 with $3.50 or so shipping.

Of course AMAZON also links used holdings at a number of booksellers as well.
Of course, you can skip the ISBN. ABE will take the title as well.

I've also had good experience with Powells.com and alibris.com as well

Back