On final at an uncontrolled field

There are two applicable regs (well, maybe three). 91.111 says you may not operate so close to another airplane so as to cause a collision hazard. 91.113 says you may not force an aircraft which just landed off the runway to make way for your landing. Beyond that, it's common senses and 91.13 (careless/reckless). Basically, if you don't scare the other pilot enough that s/he complains for the FAA, it's not a problem at a nontowered airport.

So we can use judgement on this? :confused:

:confused: ATC does not separate light aircraft in the pattern by 3-5 miles, so I don't see any reason why pilots would need to.
Separation in the pattern is not ATC's responsibility, but where it is, those are the general rules.

In any case, I wasn't suggesting a hard and fast rule, which is why I used the word "seem."
Whatever -- my point is that it's very much a matter of what you're flying and the circumstances, and in many cases you don't need nearly that much.

When it comes down to it, it's simply using professional common courtesy in the pattern. Couple weeks ago I'm bringing the helicopter back to the airport. A King Air is holding short for an opposite direction take-off. I'm on a straight in but also with about a 10 kt tailwind. I realize I might be holding up a fixed wing departing into the prevailing wind. At 2 miles I tell the King Air I'm going to terminate the approach and go around to a right downwind as not to interfer with his departure. He said no, don't bother with that we can wait a minute while you land. See, communication and being professional goes a long way. Too often people want to complain for petty pattern stuff that really doesn't matter.
:yeahthat:

Back