Older PPL Holder Back to The Cockpit After 23 Years Of NO FLY...How Will I Get Insured?

WBY45

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BlueYonder
Twenty-three years ago when I was a 55 year-old private pilot in excellent health, I had to stopped flying. Now I'm a 78 year-old private pilot in excellent health, want to start flying again, and hope to buy an airplane in a couple of years to continue flying as long as I am medically fit. I'm progressing well on my aeronautical knowledge re-immersion plan, so once I have my medical in hand I'll launch my flight instruction plan and complete a Flight Review. I'll be approaching 79 by the time I complete my FR. I need to figure out how I'm going to get insured...Open to suggestions/ideas.

How many hrs per year do you plan to fly? Would renting be a way to start out and see how it goes?

You're probably in the same boat as a new pilot looking to buy. I don't see insurance as a major hurdle once you get current and have some recent time under your belt.

Much will depend on what you want to fly.

Fixed gear / fixed prop? Especially an older 2-seater, like maybe a 150? Probably won't be a problem.

Complex and high performance? Might be a problem.

Twin? Problem. Likely $$$$$.

Turbo prop or jet? Likely ain't happenin'.

talk to a good insurance broker before you buy. Insurance companies are running the show, many not insuring above 80yrs of age. If they do, it is at a ridiculously high premium. Especially after so many years of not flying. Renting and renters insurance may be your best option.

For an over 70 and buying a retract or multi, you probably are out of luck. Almost no one will write a new retract or multi on an over 70.

Fixed gear will be a hurdle, but doable.

If you are not going to fly around 100 hours a year, your premiums are going to be high.

This form a presentation given by a good aviation insurance broker.

Back