Older folks getting in and out of Piper

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
My father loves to go fly with me and I love taking him but he is getting up there 76. His balance and strength isn't as good as it once was. He has has some illness the last 5 years. I am wondering if you have any ideas getting him in and out of a Pa-32. It is usually just him and I and he likes to set up front. It really make me nervous. Last time he slipped off the step but saved it without hitting the ramp.

I was thinking about trying this, Help im up on the wing and down in the cabin from the out side. I then Crawl up to the front from the back. Land crawl back exit the back door and then help him up oit of the cabin and down the wing.

If any one has any other method it would be greatly appreciated.

Besides the obvious. Buy a C-206 or 207

Jon

That's All I can think if he really wants to sit in the front. Ma finds it easier to sit in the back to her suprise. She wouldn't sit in back until I had a CFII friend along and she was told that she would be sitting in back. She will now give up the front seat to anyone. She's not experancing as much of a problem as your Dad but I still have to give her a shove out or she (very unladylike) just crawls out on the wing.

Missa

Club seating or straight seats?

The only alternative I can think of is to have him enter from the rear door and climb over the seat. Would this be possible?

-Skip

Get a suitable small step stool to help him get on the wing rather than using the installed step. You get on the wing first, he steps up and you help him while you back into the cockpit. The step stool would be left in place. Obviously this could represent a ramp hazard, depending on where you're doing it. Maybe there's a line guy who will help.

Jon: Great question!! I want to take my uncle a WWII vet and Hump Pilot. He has some Parkinsons and is not very agile. It is indeed difficult and dare I say it Cessnas are probably easier but I want to get him in a Lance. I think the Archer is out of the question. I think the real difficulty will be getting him up out of the seat and out on to the wing to deplane. Pipers have sports car like seating as the seats are low and there ain't no graceful way of getting out. Other than that I think Kens Idea is best. good luck.

There's always the "sit and shinny" method...maybe put a blanket or something over the wingwalk so he doesn't wear holes in his pants.

Also, if you find that he needs to get in first and get out last in order for you to be of the most help, you might consider putting him in the left seat, and you flying from the right. Obviously, a little instruction would be a good idea for the right seat transition.

Fly safe!

David

Be careful with them using the door to help themselves in and out. I had a woman accidentally break the window on that side from pulling on the door too much.

The only alternative I can think of is to have him enter from the rear door and climb over the seat. Would this be possible?

-Skip

Sorry should have icluded that info. STRAIGHT SEATS

Jon

-Skip

Sorry should have included that info. STRAIGHT SEATS

Jon

-Skip

If I suggested that he would get Pi$$ed off and probably jump over the plane to get in the front. I will try it though

Get a suitable small step stool to help him get on the wing rather than using the installed step. You get on the wing first, he steps up and you help him while you back into the cockpit. The step stool would be left in place. Obviously this could represent a ramp hazard, depending on where you're doing it. Maybe there's a line guy who will help.

Good Idea I will try it.

There's always the "sit and shinny" method...maybe put a blanket or something over the wingwalk so he doesn't wear holes in his pants.

Also, if you find that he needs to get in first and get out last in order for you to be of the most help, you might consider putting him in the left seat, and you flying from the right. Obviously, a little instruction would be a good idea for the right seat transition.

Fly safe!

David

Are you kidding I am still trying to learn to fly from the left Seat:D

This is a good Idea for me on short flights. It would also be fun for him being in the Pilots seat.
Thanks

I put my mother (86) in the back so I could help her all the way. Putting him in the left seat seems safest to me if he must be in the front, though the instuments are not as convenient for you. Remember he would need to be first out in case of an emergency landing too, if he is in the right seat. They keep exit rows on airlines for people who are fit, for a reason.

That's All I can think if he really wants to sit in the front. Ma finds it easier to sit in the back to her suprise. She wouldn't sit in back until I had a CFII friend along and she was told that she would be sitting in back. She will now give up the front seat to anyone. She's not experancing as much of a problem as your Dad but I still have to give her a shove out or she (very unladylike) just crawls out on the wing.

Missa

Yes I am sure he would sit in the back but I know how much he likes to feel like he is helping me and does help with charts, looking for and landmarks and airports. I always let him announce airport in sight before I announce seeing it. He always wanted to fly but did't have the means too.

Glad to here you take your mom that is COOL.

Jon

You could take out the copilot seat. Have him enter the #4 seat from the rear. It's not-quite-but-almost the same.

I put my mother (86) in the back so I could help her all the way. Putting him in the left seat seems safest to me if he must be in the front, though the instuments are not as convenient for you. Remember he would need to be first out in case of an emergency landing too, if he is in the right seat. They keep exit rows on airlines for people who are fit, for a reason.
Dwight's got a good point here. How are either of you going to get out in case of a true emergency, God forbid? It doesn't seem like he's in much of a position to help with his own, let alone anyone else's, egress. Yet you REALLY hate to tell him he's not fit to fly! :dunno:

Dwight's got a good point here. How are either of you going to get out in case of a true emergency, God forbid? It doesn't seem like he's in much of a position to help with his own, let alone anyone else's, egress. Yet you REALLY hate to tell him he's not fit to fly! :dunno:

Good point. I would never put someone else in a position to be stuck in the crash. But I will put myself in that position.

I never said he wasn't fit to fly I said he never had the means. POOR!!

Well It is normally him and I (When he can go which is a hand full )and my 16yr old soons in the back seats. Im not worried about him not being able to get out, or open the door, or blocking my way out. In the case of and emergency, we have to get out, he can easily crawl out and FALL off the wing. In this situation. He is in really good shape but has had a knee problem.

I am trying to keep him from falling off the wing in an non emergency.

So if you have a passenger with you that is unable to get out (injuries during off field) do you have a plan??? Are you able to move a person who is 200lbs knocked out. I can move and carry most people but not all. Try it, it is not that easy. You just got me thinking about this.

So my question to.

If you are not able to carry or move you passenger because of there size or you are not strong enough. Do you put them in the back? or not take them, or not think about it??????
I would be one that most of you would have problems moving 6'7" 285 (today). in Most planes Small GA if I am your only passenger Its a bad Idea to put me in the back.(W/B)

So of you can"t move your passenger to exit the crash ARE YOU FIT TO FLY?????

Something to think about.

Well, my point was the door passenger ought to be able to get out on their own without help. If I am flying with someone who can't, they better be in the back or the left front so someone can get out and then help them out. If someone gets injured in an emergency landing, that is an unanticipated problem - could have been anyone or everyone injured. You deal with that any way you can - perhaps kick out the windshield. But if you start out with someone unable to get out on their own, you know that and ought to assign seats accordingly.

Pops is 88 and when we flew a Cherokee, I would help him up onto the wing from the ground, then while he steadied himself in the door opening, I woul climb up an duck in. I would then help him lift his leg in from the pilot seat. It was actually the easy part, for him to get out,there was little I could do to assist. Also a concern in the event of an emergency evacuation.

This is one of the primary reasons I own a TB-20, (2 large doors) so I can help him in and out from the outside.

Gary

Back