Old Log books

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I'm holding a set of logs for an aircraft that I know has been destroyed.

The FAA is done with their business, the insurance company business is compete.

The aircraft is stricken from FAA records.

What should I do with the books?

Would depend on what they are for. Is it an antique they only made a few of? or Does it have a cool signature in it? I'd probably find a museum if thats the case. Does it

I'm holding a set of logs for an aircraft that I know has been destroyed.

The FAA is done with their business, the insurance company business is compete.

The aircraft is stricken from FAA records.

What should I do with the books?

Offer to last known owner, or dump in trash.

Last edited:
Give them to the owner of the aircraft.

Would depend on what they are for. Is it an antique they only made a few of? or Does it have a cool signature in it? I'd probably find a museum if thats the case. Does it

No it's not historically significant.

He's dead. the family does not want them.

nonetheless, the logs belong to the estate.

(or, I guess, to the insurance company)

Out of paranoia, maybe you should keep them for YEARS until there is no legal basis for the family to sue anyone for neglect. If you have signed the books and are later named in a law suit it would look awfully funny if you were the person who destroyed the documents.

Jim

If you have signed the books and are later named in a law suit it would look awfully funny if you were the person who destroyed the documents.

Jim

How could anyone possibly know who destroyed the logbooks? How could anyone possibly know Tom even HAS the logbooks?

Well for one thing, he has contacted the family. So THEY know.

There was a TB10 that went down on Long Island. The log books were there before the test flight and were gone after the crash 30 minutes later. That made the mechanic look guilty as heck to the casual observer.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121022/NEWS/210220323&template=wapart

I am NOT saying or implying that the OP has ANYTHING to do with the loss of the aircraft the books belonged to. I'm just saying if the logs still exist in the future they can stand on their own. If they are missing anyone can say anything.

Jim

Well for one thing, he has contacted the family. So THEY know.

Well, given the airplane does not exist and the family does not care, who ELSE could POSSIBLY care about the logs?

I still say Tom can do anything he wants with them, including destroying them.

The family does not care RIGHT NOW. Who knows what they will decide in the future.

Jim

But what value are they? Without an airplane they are worthless. As for Tom's liability in it, if he thinks it is an issue, he should give them to the last owner.

I see no reason whatsoever for Tom to keep them. Whether or not he gives them back to the last owner, or destroys them, I would think, is up to him.

He's dead. the family does not want them.
A lawyer would probably tell you to get a written release from the heirs before destroying them. OTOH, depending on how long you've had them, your state may have business law regarding disposition if unclaimed property, in which case you can do as the law allows after the time period specified in the law. The attorney you use for business purposes should know the answer on that last part off the top of his/her head.

Any Type clubs for the aircraft, someone on them may want them just to document the history of the aircraft.

Brian

The family does not care RIGHT NOW. Who knows what they will decide in the future.

Jim
there is only 1 family member alive and she is in a nursing home / hospice.

the estate has already been settled

A lawyer would probably tell you to get a written release from the heirs before destroying them. OTOH, depending on how long you've had them, your state may have business law regarding disposition if unclaimed property, in which case you can do as the law allows after the time period specified in the law. The attorney you use for business purposes should know the answer on that last part off the top of his/her head.
He says legally they are mine.

A lot of questions need to be answered.

HOW did YOU get them?

How was the plane DESTROYED?

Was the death of the owner in any way related to the destruction of the plane?

Is there ANY way that you might get snakebit regarding this plane?

A lot of questions need to be answered.

HOW did YOU get them?

Doesn't really matter

How was the plane DESTROYED?

loss of control on landing, no injuries

Was the death of the owner in any way related to the destruction of the plane?

No.. advancing age

Is there ANY way that you might get snakebit regarding this plane?

No, the FAA is done with it, the insurance company is done with it. (many years ago.) in fact the FAA has resigned the N number.

I had the books when the owner sold the aircraft, and the new owner never came to get them before the accident. the FAA saw them and gave them back to me.

I'd put 'em up in the attic along with all the other crap up there that nobody wants. One of these days I'm gonna just sheet rock over the ladder door and move out of here. :rolleyes:

ooooooooooor you could have them disappear in some collection of boxes....even a box of firewood.

later you won't recall what happened to them.

Oh, good grief. Nobody cares about the log books. Put them in a brown paper bag and leave them on the doorstep of an aviation museum.

Back