Old License ?

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
Before last Saturday, I last flew in April 2004. I have Instrument and MEL ratings and simply let everything lapse when I sold my business.

I intend to start flying regularly again and recently got my 3rd Class Medical. Obviously I need to do a lot of work and need a BFR

I got my Private license in 1980 and just discovered that all the paper certificates have expired. The FAA is on furlough and I am trying to find out what I have to do to get a copy of my license. Have I missed a critical deadline? Please tell me I don't have to start over.

Before last Saturday, I last flew in April 2004. I have Instrument and MEL ratings and simply let everything lapse when I sold my business.

I intend to start flying regularly again and recently got my 3rd Class Medical. Obviously I need to do a lot of work and need a BFR

I got my Private license in 1980 and just discovered that all the paper certificates have expired. The FAA is on furlough and I am trying to find out what I have to do to get a copy of my license. Have I missed a critical deadline? Please tell me I don't have to start over.

No, you don't have to start over, I ran on my paper one until they sent me a nasty-gram that said I couldn't use it anymore. I had been hoping I could just wait until they came out with the picture ID one, but nope. I just had to send them 2 dollars to get a plastic one, but I decided to go ahead and do my MES rating as well so it cost around $5k lol. You can try to see if their website is functioning and do it now, but you may have to wait. No reason you can't fly with an instructor until then.

Use their website, update your address and get the new plastic to show "English Proficient", it may cost $2-3 to get the plastic mailed out. Most likely not to happen until they get back to work. But as the previous poster said, you can still log dual.

The paper one is invalid, so don't get caught flying on it. You can go on-line to order a new plastic certificate as described above, but it will be a while before you see it -- government re-opening plus several weeks. One other possibility is to go on line and request a temporary document which although printed on paper is still valid until your new plastic comes in.
Requesting Temporary Authority to Exercise Certificate Privileges Online
You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.
Just go to this web page, select "Request Temporary Authority," log in, and you can get an immediate email of a .pdf copy of a letter which looks like this:
[FAA Letterhead]
MARCH 24, 2012

[NAME]
[ADDRESS]

OUR RECORDS SHOW YOU HOLD AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE 123456 WITH RATINGS AIRPLANE SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE LAND, ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER, ENGLISH PROFICIENT, ISSUED mm/dd/yyyy.

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE 003012004CFI WITH RATINGS AIRPLANE SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE, ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE AND HELICOPTER, VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY PILOT CERTIFICATE NUMBER 1234567, ISSUED mm/dd/yyyy, AND EXPIRES mm/dd/yyyy.

SECOND CLASS MEDICAL DATED mm/dd/yyyy; MUST HAVE AVAILABLE GLASSES FOR NEAR VISION.

THIS TEMPORARY AUTHORITY TO EXERCISE THE PRIVILEGES OF YOUR CERTIFICATE(S) EXPIRES ON MAY 23, 2012.

...which you can print and present. According to AFS-810, this provides legal, temporary authority to fly (see "other documentation acceptable to the FAA") if you don't have your original certificates with you. There is not currently any specific guidance to field Inspectors about this, but it's on AFS-810's list of things to do, and any Inspector with questions should know how to contact AFS-810 for futher guidance. I don't know if this automated system has been shut down due to the Federal shutdown, but it's worth a try.​

So, if you have a computer and internet access, you can instantly have a valid document to cover the 61.3 requirement for pilot, flight instructor, and medical certificates in the event you left your wallet in your other pocket, or your dog ate your medical, or whatever. Just don't let your dog near your wallet more than once every six months.​

If you have a current medical and BFR I wouldn't let it stop me from flying. Most of the FAA is shut down anyways

Just which FAA regulations do you allow to stop you from flying, and which do you ignore?

I ignore any regulation I please, why would I not fly because politicians and bureaucrats say so? F- them.

Thanks, guys. I have a lot of work to do anyway.

I recently helped a guy who hadn't flown in 40 years get currently. No big deal. He was in great shape with four flight lessons and a few hours of ground.

Enjoy!

Pretty much the hazardous attitude I've come to expect from you, Henning.

Yep, politicians rule my life. Actually, the inability to think and adapt is as dangerous an attitude as any. Just follow orders Ron, and you'll always be safe...:rolleyes:

Yep, politicians rule my life. Actually, the inability to think and adapt is as dangerous an attitude as any. Just follow orders Ron, and you'll always be safe...:rolleyes:
Might not keep one safe, but it will keep one legal, and I prefer to stay both legal and safe.

Iceman: You two really are cowboys.
Maverick: What's your problem, Kazanski?
Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
Maverick: That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous.

Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
Thing about that movie is that in the real Navy, the movie would have been over about 15 minutes in when Maverick and Goose were in their CO's stateroom and the CO pulled their wings rather than sending them to Top Gun. "I can't believe I'm doing this," he said, and neither could anyone else who'd ever worn Wings of Gold.

But it makes for nice fiction.

If there were a plus system in this message board I would give you a massive +10 on this one!!! Excellent!!!1

Back