Old James Bond Film Demonstrates the Threat of GA

John221us

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
John
So, I just watched Goldfinger for the first time since I was a kid (1964 film). Spoiler alert, stop reading if you don't want to know.

The Chinese pay Goldfinger to dirty bomb Fort Knox to contaminate the U.S. Gold supply. Goldfinger's chief pilot (P***y Galore) and her Flying Circus use Piper Cherokees (five of them) to spray nerve gas over the Fort Knox area. Could this be foretelling on why the Chinese are buying up all the GA manufacturers? If you can weaponize a Cherokee, imagine what can you do with a Mooney or a Cirrus?

I heard that was basically the entire fleet of a Louisville Piper dealer (product placement was big in 1964, too -- note the big "PIPER" lettering on the cowls of each airplane). There was a Cherokee 140, a 150, two 180s and a 235, mostly flown by scruffy guys wearing blonde wigs.

Trivia -- Sean Connery never set foot in the USA for that movie. His scenes were all filmed in Britain. The outdoor scene in Miami was done with a rear projection. Even the Hiller helicopter scene, supposedly in Kentucky, was filmed in Britain. The helicopter's real registration was changed by painting 'N' over the British 'G'.

Oh, and Honor Blackman is 90 years old now.

:eek:

One of those Pipers was at the airport I trained at. My favorite James Bond film hands down.

All the air leaks of a normal Cherokee's cabin would've poisoned the pilot long before anyone on the ground

All the air leaks of a normal Cherokee's cabin would've poisoned the pilot long before anyone on the ground

What, you mean that the stuff in a James Bond movie isn't scientifically accurate?

I'm shocked, shocked!

-Skip

Goldfinger is one of my favorites too.

The pipers and the jetstar and the Carvair, Hiller too, great aviation scenes in this one.

Back