OKV Today

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Nice, but extremely bumpy trip to OKV today. I made an excellent soft field landing, so had the bravery to ask if Greg Groves was around. No response. I did a couple more landings for practice, and they went well. There was, however, a buffoon in the pattern. I had asked if a Seminole "was at TPA," and he responded with "of course." That was fine, but some other person (the buffoon) got on and said, "You said 'TP.'" I responded with, "Thanks for the clarification," and a friendly laugh. The guy actually made fun of my laugh (making it sound like Beavis or Butthead). When he landed, he got on the CTAF and said "Didja see that softfield landing? Well didja, DIDJA?"

I picked up my IFR flt plan back to FDK and made it there in record time with a 40 knot tail wind. Overconfident, my first landing was flat. Damn. Well, no problem--just add power and land again. I did four more landings, and each was good after that bad one. I love getting it just right (who doesn't), and keeping the nosewheel off until it comes down by itself. Poppa Wheelie, they call me!

Ben, what were you flying? You said you landed flat and previously you said you have access to a 182--were you in a 182? I used to land a '68 C-210 so flat but hold it off until we couldn't even tell if we had touched yet.

Some of my x/c I would call for the option at every aprt along the way. On one such flt I didn't even dare to enter the patt because so many buffons in the patt that I just climbed up and away. One particular aprt like a freakin' aerial clusterf***.

Even still, such a flight is still a good flight. Sounds like you had a good flight.

Sorry Ben, I was hard at work today...next time we'll meet for lunch..my treat. Maybe by then, they'll have the glide slope repaired. Rumor has it that it will be out for another 6 months...they can't repair the existing equipment and it has to be upgraded and re-certified.

...and BTW..your "buffoon" isn't one of my students...if it were...I'd ring his neck...

Take Care,

Greg
182RG

Richard said:
Ben, what were you flying? You said you landed flat and previously you said you have access to a 182--were you in a 182? I used to land a '68 C-210 so flat but hold it off until we couldn't even tell if we had touched yet.

Some of my x/c I would call for the option at every aprt along the way. On one such flt I didn't even dare to enter the patt because so many buffons in the patt that I just climbed up and away. One particular aprt like a freakin' aerial clusterf***.

Even still, such a flight is still a good flight. Sounds like you had a good flight.
Oh yeah. I really enjoyed myself. There's flat, and there's flat. This was in the C182, a near 3-pointer on that damned Runway 30 at FDK. If you follow the VASI, it takes you to just before a hill on the runway. If you look down the runway a bit in the flare (as we often do), you will think you are two feet above touchdown when really you are 1/2 a foot. Bingo--early touchdown.

But that was just one bad landing (or not so good landing) out of nine, so I'm happy. In fact, I gave the Skylane a hug--like I always do. STOP LAUGHING!

ggroves said:
Sorry Ben, I was hard at work today...next time we'll meet for lunch..my treat. Maybe by then, they'll have the glide slope repaired. Rumor has it that it will be out for another 6 months...they can't repair the existing equipment and it has to be upgraded and re-certified.

...and BTW..your "buffoon" isn't one of my students...if it were...I'd ring his neck...

Take Care,

Greg
182RG
LOL! I'm sure it wasn't. When he was asking if that guy (can't remember the name, but obviously wasn't you) if he had seen his soft field landing, the guy dryly responded,"Uh, yeah. . . I caught a bit of it out of the corner of my eye." NO JOKE!!!!

That was punishment enough for him, so I elected to stay in the pat.

Ugly flight path and some alt deviations. (Turbulence was moderate, and I was even getting a bit sick):

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7275H

The two flights before this one (21 Dec 2005 and 2 Feb 2006) were me, too.

Last edited:
Back