OK - What's Next?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
My C-150M has been traded for my original C-172L Skyhawk(guess I'll have to change my Avatar); and the C-150 was resold within days. I'm awaiting arrival of the "gizmo" to panel-mount my Garmin 296. Then, there's the Power Flow Systems tuned exhaust and the Micro-Aero Vortex Generators(neither yet ordered). The following question arises:

The 0-320/E2D has zero time SMOH(except for some check-out time). Could the Power Flow System be installed now, or should the engine be run through a normal break-in routine prior to PFS? If the latter, would it be advisable to implement the vortex generators while the engine break-in period is running?

Vortex generators and a 2nd nav/com(KX-155) will be about equal $$$ to the PFS. Of course, renewed tail feathers need be considered.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G 041005 12A.jpg
    N7872G 041005 12A.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 009_9.JPG
    009_9.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 27
Poor baby, sitting out all covered with snow! At least it doesn't have its tail section frozen to the ground and is sitting with the nosewheel up, like some poor airplanes I see often around here. :( They won't thaw out until April, poor things!

As for your question, I'll let the real experts handle that. (Living in North Dakota, I have developed a passion for having a roof over every airplane's little head in the winter--and access to one in the summer during those golfball sized hailstorms...)

terry

Lawreston said:
The 0-320/E2D has zero time SMOH(except for some check-out time). Could the Power Flow System be installed now, or should the engine be run through a normal break-in routine prior to PFS? If the latter, would it be advisable to implement the vortex generators while the engine break-in period is running?

Vortex generators and a 2nd nav/com(KX-155) will be about equal $$$ to the PFS. Of course, renewed tail feathers need be considered.

HR

Harley,

I don't see where it would make any difference when the VG's get installed. That can be done any time. Let us know how they work.
As far as the Power flow exhaust, again, I don't see any reason not to install the PFS at any time during the break in. You will be running at 75% power for break in and that will not change with the new exhaust.

Harley;

Go with the Power Flow and put the VG's on at anytime. Your photos bring back many memories of airports in New England where I lived for so many years.

Let us know how you make out with the mods.

John

terzap said:
Poor baby, sitting out all covered with snow! At least it doesn't have its tail section frozen to the ground and is sitting with the nosewheel up, like some poor airplanes I see often around here. :( They won't thaw out until April, poor things!

As for your question, I'll let the real experts handle that. (Living in North Dakota, I have developed a passion for having a roof over every airplane's little head in the winter--and access to one in the summer during those golfball sized hailstorms...)

terry

I hope to be identifying with your last sentence in the near future. I'm seriously considering purchasing a T-Hangar, the concrete walls/floor and bi-fold door looking very appropriate for the bird. The airport is about 16sm from home, but summertime would probably see the bird nesting as seen below, it being only 5.2sm from my house(and 7.2nm from hangar location).

HR

Attachments

• Cessna & Healey    Aug. 2000.JPG
    Cessna & Healey Aug. 2000.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 18
NC Pilot said:
Harley,

I don't see where it would make any difference when the VG's get installed. That can be done any time. Let us know how they work.
As far as the Power flow exhaust, again, I don't see any reason not to install the PFS at any time during the break in. You will be running at 75% power for break in and that will not change with the new exhaust.

Non A&P suggestions, locally, have suggested it might be wise to break-in the engine according to OEM procedures, prior to exhausting mods.
????????????

HR

Lawreston said:
My C-150M has been traded for my original C-172L Skyhawk(guess I'll have to change my Avatar); and the C-150 was resold within days. I'm awaiting arrival of the "gizmo" to panel-mount my Garmin 296. Then, there's the Power Flow Systems tuned exhaust and the Micro-Aero Vortex Generators(neither yet ordered). The following question arises:

HR

Put the PFS header on ASAP, no reason not to. The better the system scavenges, the better off everything is. I would avoid putting on the VGs until the climate is more suitable, unless it can sit for overnight(or longer) in a heated hangar. Most adhesives work best above 60*F, hate to have one blow off down the line, and I've seen some problems from outdoor winter glue on jobs.

Lawreston said:

HR

I see no reason to wait until breakin for the exhaust. Best would be to do the exhaust when the engine was swapped in, but it sounds like that's already been done. One thing I'd recommend is to make sure your baffling is up to snuff. The PFS does allow the engine to make more power at a given altitude and that means more heat produced by the engine so cooling becomes more important.

As to the VG's, like Henning posted the main issue is adhesive curing. If you do it now it had better be inside a heated hangar for at least 24 hours after installation. And if you want to document any performance changes for the PFS and VG's it would be simpler to install them separately with some testing in between.

Back