Ok, Ignore that part about...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...me not getting my commercial.

Well, things may soon change. And not stopping at commercial. I'll get to deal with the DHS too! YAY! :mad:

All I have left to do is 10 hours of complex and the two 2hr 100+nm XCs day and night with an instructor for the commercial. What does getting the commercial have to do with the DHS? Nothing, but having the ability to legitimately argue with Ron L and Ed G over interpretations of the regs and how things should be done does. That's right another know it all CFI on the way - which my old CFII has been pushing me to get for the past year or so. What brought all this on? My father. He goes about everything backwards. First he forms a non profit corp and buys an airport. Then he starts looking for a plane to buy. (Well, the company is going to buy the plane for tax purposes and pay for me to get my commercial so I can do some things for the company that I couldn't do as a private) After he's got the airport and plane he has a small problem. He's not certified to fly it. That's where the CFI part and I come in. Where he and I are based, the instructor is only available 1 day a week - and that day doesn't work well with my dad's schedule. So, he's going to pick up the cost of my CFI rating in exchange for free instruction. Well, monetarily it's free, but little does he know is I've been staying up every night for the past month with the first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket on a continuous loop in order to learn how to properly instruct. Ok, not really, but it's not going to be a walk in the park for him. And he wants to get started like, oh, now. So I gotta get this done.

So I feel I have two options:

I know there are some "fast track" schools out there, but I know some are good, some are bad, and some are ugly. Which ones do any of you recommend?

Or

Is anyone out there insane enough to take me on as a Comm/CFI candidate and help me get this thing done in a hurry?

Go for it Ed! You will actually enjoy the commercial, I know I did. The CFI is definately a challenging rating, but it's really is not as bad as everyone says. There is a lot of stuff to know and the ride is a long one. I did the fast track method for the CFI at a school in Minnesota. There were many problems with the school, and at this point I really can't in all good conscience recommend them. I can however say that every student that was in the class with me, passed the CFI ride first time, despite all the problems we all had with the school. One of the students in the class was doing the comm and CFI at the same time!! I could not imagine doing that, the schedule I kept for the CFI class was intense enough. I did not get to take the ride up there and took it back home with the local FSDO.

Don

I agree, the Commercial was enjoyable. The biggest adjustment for me was staying *off* gauges and fly visually. After I got that in my head, it was a blast. The knowledge part is intense, but what's new.

jdwatson said:
I agree, the Commercial was enjoyable. The biggest adjustment for me was staying *off* gauges and fly visually. After I got that in my head, it was a blast. The knowledge part is intense, but what's new.
Here's one for you guys. Commercial for helicopters has the same maneuvers as private with one small exception (180 degree autorotation instead of straight in) :)

Everything else is the same but to tighter tolerances...

Of course, private doesn't require hood time either ;)

I loved doing the power-off 180 landing. I learned a lot about flying during my commercial training. It was great fun. I decided to bang it out by taking vacation. I had the completed the written and all the X-C requirements, so what was left was systems & all those fun & cool "tricks". I never got graceful with lazy-8s, but they were fun. Even 8s-on-pylons were kind of cool. Chandelles are probably my favorite. My least favorite... as always: steep turns (50 +/- 5 degrees is steep).

edit: fixed above
  • steep turns: 50 +/-5degrees,
  • steep spiral: not to exceed 60 degrees

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I can do some things for the company that I couldn't do as a private

You should become a sargent...they can do anything. :<)

Sgt Len Lanetti (former)

jdwatson said:
I loved doing the power-off 180 landing. I learned a lot about flying during my commercial training. It was great fun. I decided to bang it out by taking vacation. I had the completed the written and all the X-C requirements, so what was left was systems & all those fun & cool "tricks". I never got graceful with lazy-8s, but they were fun. Even 8s-on-pylons were kind of cool. Chandelles are probably my favorite. My least favorite... as always: steep turns (65 degrees is steep).

Shouldn't that have been 60 degree bank?

55 i believe...
so that +/- 5 doesnt put you past 60, where parachutes are required?

tonycondon said:
55 i believe...
so that +/- 5 doesnt put you past 60, where parachutes are required?

+/- 5 degrees... who flys like that?!

jdwatson said:
My least favorite... as always: steep turns (65 degrees is steep).

Until I took the intro acro course, I was always leery of steep turns and stalls, now, they're fun!

Maybe I should go fly some acrobatics then ? Seriously, I've considered going out to FCI for their intro upset training plus IRT.

jdwatson said:
Maybe I should go fly some acrobatics then ? Seriously, I've considered going out to FCI for their intro upset training plus IRT.

Prices are steep, I just wanted basics. I did a course with a guy in Knoxville, TN in a 7GCAA. All the usual maneuvers and spins. At that time, eight 45min ground lessons and eight 45min air lessons, plane and instructor, $995. I considered it a good deal and learned much about flying.

The instructor is a CFII, ex Navy A-6 and F-4 driver, flew L1011's and 727's for Eastern, 20,000+ hrs ATP. Nice guy.

When I'm ready, I'll get more contact info from you. My former officemate flew F-4s, he's the reason why I got into aviation. Great guy.

Ed,

If you don't mind going over to the dark side of the state, talk to Razor. She'll learn you good :yes: ;)

Missa

Missa said:
Ed,

If you don't mind going over to the dark side of the state, talk to Razor. She'll learn you good :yes: ;)

Missa

The darkside ?

Anthony said:
Missa. How do you like Williamsport?

I've been alternating between, "WOW, this is so awsome" and"OMG what did I do!"

The job is great, the area is naturally beautiful, but starbucks isn't the only thing over 50 miles alway....

Khol's
Target
Meijer
Panera (only 30 miles)

And I can't get used to driving like a sane person.

I have to wait till the next meeting of the flying club to join... it's in a week and a half so all my flying lately is buging the memebers to take me up. Got in the air yesterday between some thunderstorms... a really nice looking area from the air.

I was going to go to MI this weekend but there's a house I wanted to show Ma so she's comming here to see it.

Missa

Missa said:
Khol's
Target
Meijer
Panera (only 30 miles)

*stuff being further away*

Less money spent shopping, more money spent flying, I don't see the downside???:dunno:

Anthony said:
Missa. How do you like Williamsport?
IPT? We're having our Spring Thaw Formation Event II there the first weekend in May. Get ready to see Grummans in formation all weekend.

Missa said:
I've been alternating between, "WOW, this is so awsome" and"OMG what did I do!"

The job is great, the area is naturally beautiful, but starbucks isn't the only thing over 50 miles alway....

Khol's
Target
Meijer
Panera (only 30 miles)

Well we warned you. :)

The good part is that major metro areas are a short flight away and also driveable for weekends. I need to move because my wife is less than a five minute drive from EVERY STORE IN THE FREE WORLD.

Anthony said:
I need to move because my wife is less than a five minute drive from EVERY STORE IN THE FREE WORLD.
Ahhh, so you live near Park Meadows. :)

Anthony said:
I need to move because my wife is less than a five minute drive from EVERY STORE IN THE FREE WORLD.

Ugh, I feel for you, brother. :(

Ron Levy said:
IPT? We're having our Spring Thaw Formation Event II there the first weekend in May. Get ready to see Grummans in formation all weekend.

Now I know what I'll be doing the first weekend in may... I'll bring a lawn chair and set up in front of the lycoming hanger. :)

Missa

Bill Jennings said:
*stuff being further away*

Less money spent shopping, more money spent flying, I don't see the downside???:dunno:

I think I'll be spending money flying to spend money shopping.... :D

Missa

Yo Ed!
Now that this thread has been hijacked in multiple directions... :D How goes the pursuit ?

The plan is to start Thursday in a Sierra, and hopefully knock the comm part out by this time next month, dodging yet another BFR. :) Then hammer at the CFI portion with the crazy ambition to get THAT done by Gaston's.

jdwatson said:
Yo Ed!
Now that this thread has been hijacked in multiple directions... :D How goes the pursuit ?

So, Ed... why is it I always seem to be involved in the hijacking of your threads, or am I the only one that notices that??? and i didn't even start it this time!

Missa:blowingkisses:

N2212R said:
The plan is to start Thursday in a Sierra, and hopefully knock the comm part out by this time next month, dodging yet another BFR. :) Then hammer at the CFI portion with the crazy ambition to get THAT done by Gaston's.

w00t! Keep us informed and leave the thread to us... heh heh

Change of plans.
Start tomorrow night!

Back