OK, I need to fly

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
So I have the plane on Sunday and I don't know where to go... any ideas?

Missa

all of my ideas would be way out of your range. If you do decide to come to Des Moines, IA though, supper is on me! Have fun, go somewhere youve never been, discover something cool at a little airport out of the way. hangar fly with some geezers.

Other then Wings for the flybq and IPT itself... everything around here is new to me!

Missa

Missa: I suggest one of two things:

1) Fly 45 min SE to 1N7 Blairstown. Eat lunch at the Runway Cafe enjoy the view and all the gliders defintly very pretty and fun.

2) Fly to Atlantic City KAIY its 1:20 or so flight from you. Get a cab to the White house hoagie shop for about $8.00 then walk a few blocks east to the board walk and the Ocean. If you don't want to go to the Whitehouse for the best Meatball subs or Tuna Hoagies on earth ( only fools pass this by) there is a TON of food on the board walk.

your gonna get a thousand recommendations but take mine.;)

KAIY won't be here much longer. I really really recomend it.

Missa said:

Missa
Lancaster for lunch would be a good trip. 73 NM away.

You are new locally, so everything will probably be an adventure, right? It would be for me for sure.

LNS is basically down the river from IPT. It's an XC, so you get to log it as such. LNS is a nice little tower controlled place, friendly like IPT, with good approaches if you need. Fiorentino's is the restaurant on the field, nice Italian food. Also, Airways has a nice pilot shop, www.joepilot.com is their web presence. Lots of good stuff.

If you do come, Fiorentino's is in the terminal building. Tell the controllers that you want to park on the west ramp for the restaurant. There is a pilot access door, remember the code and the restaurant is right there. The pilot shop is near the east end of runway 31. Tell ground you want to go to airways and they'll get you there (not that LNS is huge or anything).

I don't know if Airways has courtesy cars or not, but LNS gets you pretty much into Amish country. Cheaper fuel can be had over at S37, Smoketown. Nice friendly little place. Happens to be my home port, not that I'm biased or anything.

Other trips for food are Chester Co. Carlson 40N. Good restaurant right in the terminal. MPO, Mount Pocono (just a nice airport and pretty flying over the Poconos). AVP, Scranton is nice too. There is a Damon's a short walk from the terminal that puts out decent food. Reading RDG has the Mid Atlantic Air museum. Some nice warbirds and transports. I've never been but have been over it many times. RDG is a great place for instrument practice. Their approach frequentcy is 125.15, and is mostly unpublished (hard to find on the sectional for instance). They have an NDB approach and two ILS and they are usually not too busy and quite friendly. Reading doesn't have food right now though.

If you are adventurous about runways, you could try the diner on the field and Kutztown for food N31. The runway has two dips and two humps and is only 2300 feet long. A really weird tar runway. But you park your plane on the grass in front of the runway and watch the glider tows (maybe take a ride in a Waco if so inclined).

There are lots of lovely places to go from IPT.

Jim G

A bit further afield, if it's still in operation, is Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. You can't fly into the aerodrome, but the nearby airports should be able to accomodate.

It's been a *really* long while since I've been there, so call first and see if they're still in operation and what kind of transport there might be from nearby airports.

Missa said:

Missa
Use the AOPA airport directory radius search. Type in your home airport and select a distance. Then pick someplace you've never been and go there.

Missa, ELM is about 50 NM north. Nice restaraunt in the main terminal. Warplane museum next to the FBO. A short courtesy car ride away is Harris Hill, where you could get a nice glider ride a try if you've never done that before.

grattonja said:
snip
I don't know if Airways has courtesy cars or not, but LNS gets you pretty much into Amish country. Cheaper fuel can be had over at S37, Smoketown. Nice friendly little place. Happens to be my home port, not that I'm biased or anything.
snip

Airways does have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off at the restaraunt. It's also a nice, easy walk beside the road, which is what Cathy, Sean and I usually do.

Missa said:

Missa

Maybe the attached will give you a few ideas. Distances and times are from Quakertown, but I'm sure you can handle the "translation".

So many airports... so little time :D

Gary

Attachments

• Restaurants.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 8
Well Missa, Let me know where you are going . I'll try to meet you for lunch Dave G.

I don't know how far it is from your location, but I visited the little museum at Bethel, Pa. while visiting relatives. Got a one on one tour with the owner. They have some neat old airplanes and some great old cars. Just an idea. Bob:goofy:

Back