Oil Temp Issue...follow-up question

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
So,

I happened to think of an ancillary situation that's been slowly changing over the last few years and wanted to make sure it has nothing to do with the oil temp issues I'm having this summer. (discussed Here)

My cold start oil pressures have been (IMO) too high and, in fact, I blew an oil cooler a few years back because of (presumably) high pressures.

The plane used to have an initial pressure of 85 and then it'd gradually drop into the green. We've been lowering this pressure gradually since replacing the cooler...1/2 turn at a time on the oil pressure relief valve...and now my starting pressure is around 70.

I assume this valve has no bearing on running/hot oil temps/pressures and that once the pressure drops below 70 it shuts and remains shut.

True...completely separate issue? (unless there's something stuck under the seat or it's not completely closing for another reason)

What say ye A&Ps?

So,

I happened to think of an ancillary situation that's been slowly changing over the last few years and wanted to make sure it has nothing to do with the oil temp issues I'm having this summer. (discussed Here)

My cold start oil pressures have been (IMO) too high and, in fact, I blew an oil cooler a few years back because of (presumably) high pressures.

The plane used to have an initial pressure of 85 and then it'd gradually drop into the green. We've been lowering this pressure gradually since replacing the cooler...1/2 turn at a time on the oil pressure relief valve...and now my starting pressure is around 70.

I assume this valve has no bearing on running/hot oil temps/pressures and that once the pressure drops below 70 it shuts and remains shut.

True...completely separate issue? (unless there's something stuck under the seat or it's not completely closing for another reason)

What say ye A&Ps?

The PRV = pressure relief valve has a spring in it.... When it gets hot it "can" loose it's predetermined spring rate and let oil flow part the PRV at a lower pressure... IMHO...

Back