Oil leaking into Bendix SF4RN-8 mag

Normally easier to just pull it and put it on right and re-time.:dunno: Bad form to put things together 180° out even if it does work fine.

I really don't see why itd matter. The labels on the mags are wrong for my engine no matter how you set it up. Must be labels for a Lycoming or something.

Much easier to swap a few wires than to redo the mags. They aren't exactly easy to get at and the timing is already set perfectly.

Haven't flown it since the start of this whole mess in October. Mostly because it's been too damn cold. I ended up deciding to replace the ignition harness. First I ordered one from ACS, made for the Bendix SF4 magneto, and waited two months for them to ship it to me.

Turns out they have no clue what the hell a Bendix SF4 is and sent me a Bendix S4 setup which was disappointing since the packaging itself said SF4. I e-mailed them about it and called. Couldn't get a response out of them so I sent it back to Spruce. I'm done with buying things from ACS.

Called Fresno Air Parts and the guy made me one for a Bendix SF4 and shipped it out the next day.

Got it installed this week and did my first flight since October in the Flybaby today. Everything worked great. I was a little hesitant to fly it since the winds were 90 degrees off the runway at 17 knots but finally decided what the hell and went for it. Was happy to discover that I had no issues landing the 700 lb airplane with the crosswind after 6 months off in taildraggers.

I'd sure like to get some newer magnetos someday with impulse couplings. That would be a significant upgrade for prop starting.

Haven't flown it since the start of this whole mess in October. Mostly because it's been too damn cold. I ended up deciding to replace the ignition harness. First I ordered one from ACS, made for the Bendix SF4 magneto, and waited two months for them to ship it to me.

Turns out they have no clue what the hell a Bendix SF4 is and sent me a Bendix S4 setup which was disappointing since the packaging itself said SF4. I e-mailed them about it and called. Couldn't get a response out of them so I sent it back to Spruce. I'm done with buying things from ACS.

Called Fresno Air Parts and the guy made me one for a Bendix SF4 and shipped it out the next day.

Got it installed this week and did my first flight since October in the Flybaby today. Everything worked great. I was a little hesitant to fly it since the winds were 90 degrees off the runway at 17 knots but finally decided what the hell and went for it. Was happy to discover that I had no issues landing the 700 lb airplane with the crosswind after 6 months off in taildraggers.

I'd sure like to get some newer magnetos someday with impulse couplings. That would be a significant upgrade for prop starting.

Too bad no electrics to drive an electronic ignition, altough if you went crank triggered, you could replace a magneto with an alternator.

There are electronic ignition solutions that power themselves off of the mag gear. Jesse and I have talked about that or making him a setup.

There are electronic ignition solutions that power themselves off of the mag gear. Jesse and I have talked about that or making him a setup.

They build the mag housing into a little alternator? That's what I would want to do, gets power for radio and TXP as well. He could have an ADSB compliant Fly Baby.:lol:

They build the mag housing into a little alternator? That's what I would want to do, gets power for radio and TXP as well. He could have an ADSB compliant Fly Baby.:lol:

They build two electronic ignition modules that bolt up where your magnetos bolt up. Each one has a small alternator in it that has enough power to keep the electronic ignition working above 800 RPM. Below 800 RPM, which in theory wouldn't ever happen in flight, it would be powered by my motorcycle battery.

Ultimately they're expensive, they don't give me an alternator for the rest of the airplane, and their reliability in service looks kind of poor based on the reading I've done.

http://www.emagair.com/p-magii.htm

If someone made a system with dual electronic ignition bolted up on one magneto slot, and and alternator with excess power went where the other magneto goes..I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I could be ADS-B compliant and fly all day no problem with a lithium battery. But it'd cost like at least 5k..no thanks.

They build two electronic ignition modules that bolt up where your magnetos bolt up. Each one has a small alternator in it that has enough power to keep the electronic ignition working above 800 RPM. Below 800 RPM, which in theory wouldn't ever happen in flight, it would be powered by my motorcycle battery.

Ultimately they're expensive, they don't give me an alternator for the rest of the airplane, and their reliability in service looks kind of poor based on the reading I've done.

http://www.emagair.com/p-magii.htm

If someone made a system with dual electronic ignition bolted up on one magneto slot, and and alternator with excess power went where the other magneto goes..I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I could be ADS-B compliant and fly all day no problem with a lithium battery. But it'd cost like at least 5k..no thanks.

I think a small alternator can be adapted to mount to an old stripped drive and housing from a mag and used to power a generic crank trigger system for a hot rod for less money, and get you more electricity.

I think a small alternator can be adapted to mount to an old stripped drive and housing from a mag and used to power a generic crank trigger system for a hot rod for less money, and get you more electricity.

Most likely. I don't have the time to build such a thing though. When you're bored machine me one up and I'll flight test it for you :)

Most likely. I don't have the time to build such a thing though. When you're bored machine me one up and I'll flight test it for you :)

Sounds more than fair! For somebody...:wink2:

If I was retired, sounds like a flybaby would be a blast. Combination low & slow flyer and something to tinker with.

John

Machine one, for a Flybaby? Can't do that, but if you send me an alternator, a mag, some hose clamps and duct tape, I'll send you one back.:lol:

Back