Oil in cylinders

Getonit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I am looking at a Mooney Ovation and reviewing the logs.
The aircraft had a new from the factory engine installed and about 30 hours
after installation it was at the factory in AL for an inspection. A note was made about "a small amount of engine oil" in the cylinders. At this point in time the TT on engine since NEW was about 30 hours, the subsequent entries made mention "no excessive oil" in cylinders. Total time on engine is less than 400 hours. Obviously I am going to ask lots of questions but I want to educate myself.

My guess is the inspection at 30 hours was still during break in and maybe oil is normal? Is oil normal in the cylinders at any time? I know it isn't on cars and my C-152 I have never really noticed it either. Is this something to Continentals?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't see it as an issue. Its pretty common to see a small amount of oil in the cylinders. The longer it has sat the more oil that was on the cylinder walls will run down. Check on the oil consumption and ask questions. Nothing wrong with that.

I am looking at a Mooney Ovation and reviewing the logs.
The aircraft had a new from the factory engine installed and about 30 hours
after installation it was at the factory in AL for an inspection. A note was made about "a small amount of engine oil" in the cylinders. At this point in time the TT on engine since NEW was about 30 hours, the subsequent entries made mention "no excessive oil" in cylinders. Total time on engine is less than 400 hours. Obviously I am going to ask lots of questions but I want to educate myself.

My guess is the inspection at 30 hours was still during break in and maybe oil is normal? Is oil normal in the cylinders at any time? I know it isn't on cars and my C-152 I have never really noticed it either. Is this something to Continentals?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

At 30 hrs with no subsequent reports, I too would suspect a break in issue. Some people stay full rich for break in, and it really slows things down.

How many hours does it get on a quart of oil? How is the compression?

Back