Oil/Filter Change - Logbook Entry

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
Tom Downey,

At one time I believe you posted "the perfect" oil/filter change logbook entry (owner performed). Would you (or any other A&P that cares to be helpful) please post it again? I promise to pay attention in class & take notes this time.

Ed

here is what is on my sticky lable

"completed oil change using 8 qts. of Phillips 20W50 and a champion CH48110 filter, ran engine no leaks noted"

And of course the usual FAR stuff IAW 43.9.

Edit the quanity and type of oil used

I know it is not required, however by adding the date, total time/hobbs/tack time it helps to tie all the maintenance together.

Stache

Tom, thanks for the sample. I thought I remembered an IAW (reference source) in the previous example (i.e Lycoming SI???). Is here such a thing for an oil & filter change? Might just be that poor student stuff showing through.

My good friend, IA, and Grumman maintenance guru Bob Steward says that you should reference the oil change instructions in the applicable maintenance manual, e.g.:

"Drained oil, removed oil filter, replaced filter with XYZ 12345, safety-wired filter, added x quarts of ABC oil, ran and leak-checked engine in accordance with Firesnorter 400 maintenance manual."

Bob says that if you don't reference an approved set of maintenance instructions (even if it's just AC 43-13, the A&P's bible), you haven't documented that you "use[d] the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator..." as required by 14 CFR 43.13(a).

As a follow-on 43.9 in so many words says your can reference the aircraft maintenance manual such as: changed oil in accordance with PA 24-180 service manual xzy, section 5. This will provide the steps to you should of taken.

If you don't reference the manufactues service manual they you have to spell it out how and what you did step by step and what material you used i.e. type of oil, how many, changed oil filter/cleaned oil screen and safety-wired. Followed by your name and certificate number.

Stache

Ron Levy said:
My good friend, IA, and Grumman maintenance guru Bob Steward says that you should reference the oil change instructions in the applicable maintenance manual, e.g.:

"Drained oil, removed oil filter, replaced filter with XYZ 12345, safety-wired filter, added x quarts of ABC oil, ran and leak-checked engine in accordance with Firesnorter 400 maintenance manual."

Bob says that if you don't reference an approved set of maintenance instructions (even if it's just AC 43-13, the A&P's bible), you haven't documented that you "use[d] the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator..." as required by 14 CFR 43.13(a).

Ask your friend what approved data he is using to change oil.

The manufacturers maintenance manual gives assembly instructions, measurements etc. but does not tell you how to change oil. It will tell the approved oil for what temp ranges, it will tell you how much oil the engine carries, but it won't tell you how to change oil.

The Cessna 100 service manual will give the interval between oil changes, but does not give instructions of "How" to change oil.

There are instructions for removal and replacement the oil filter, Do you know where thay can be found?

And the AC 43,13-2b does not say anything about oil changes other than the inspection of the filter.

So, what ever he is using for the IAW portion of his sign off is a wrong refference. I prefere to say nothing rather than telling the world that I used instructions that don't exist.

Last edited:
NC19143 said:
There are instructions for removal and replacement the oil filter, Do you know where thay can be found?

Printed on the oil filter itself is the only ones I have seen.
Don

Don Jones said:
Printed on the oil filter itself is the only ones I have seen.
Don

That's it. and it still don't tell you how to change oil..

NC19143 said:
That's it. and it still don't tell you how to change oil..

I don't think there are instructions on the oil bottles:D.

lancefisher said:
I don't think there are instructions on the oil bottles:D.

Reminds me of a saying my Dad used

" Some people are so stupid, thay couldn't pour water out of a boot with the directions written on the heel."

not to apply to any one here.

NC19143 said:
Reminds me of a saying my Dad used

" Some people are so stupid, thay couldn't pour water out of a boot with the directions written on the heel."

not to apply to any one here.

It was not water when I heard it, lol
Don

FWIW, the Piper manual for my Cherokee doesn't have instructions for changing oil either!

It has how to drain the sump, and says to check the screens at each oil change, it says how to fill the sump "to the mark". (which mark!!?)

If you put them altogether, it sort of constitutes an oil change, but I notice that it doesn't say to close the drain after draining the oil sump. Perhaps when i do that, I have deviated from the Piper service manual on the oil change!!! LOL!

Sometimes, all of this gobbledy-gook legalese is just plain silly. There should be nothing wrong with, "Date: Hrs: Drained oil, replaced oil filter with #xxxx, cleaned screen, no metal found in suction screen or filter, serviced engine with x qts of AeroGoo 100 oil, no leaks found at engine run up. Joe Pilot, PP #xxx-xx-xxxx, owner."

There's a whole bunch of old entries in my engine log book where a previous owner just wrote: "Pilot oil change". I didn't know pilots required oil every 25 hours.

larrysb said:
FWIW, the Piper manual for my Cherokee doesn't have instructions for changing oil either!

It has how to drain the sump, and says to check the screens at each oil change, it says how to fill the sump "to the mark". (which mark!!?)

If you put them altogether, it sort of constitutes an oil change, but I notice that it doesn't say to close the drain after draining the oil sump. Perhaps when i do that, I have deviated from the Piper service manual on the oil change!!! LOL!

Sometimes, all of this gobbledy-gook legalese is just plain silly. There should be nothing wrong with, "Date: Hrs: Drained oil, replaced oil filter with #xxxx, cleaned screen, no metal found in suction screen or filter, serviced engine with x qts of AeroGoo 100 oil, no leaks found at engine run up. Joe Pilot, PP #xxx-xx-xxxx, owner."

There's a whole bunch of old entries in my engine log book where a previous owner just wrote: "Pilot oil change". I didn't know pilots required oil every 25 hours.

I believe that even the FAA knows when an A&P / owner/ pilot knows how to do certain things. Remember no one can repair/service any aircraft with out being shown or taught how.

Speaking to the A&P FARs say
§65.81 General privileges and limitations.

(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance or alteration of an aircraft or appliance, or a part thereof, for which he is rated (but excluding major repairs to, and major alterations of, propellers, and any repair to, or alteration of, instruments), and may perform additional duties in accordance with §§65.85, 65.87, and 65.95. However, he may not supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration of, or approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date. If he has not so performed that work at an earlier date, he may show his ability to do it by performing it to the satisfaction of the Administrator or under the direct supervision of a certificated and appropriately rated mechanic, or a certificated repairman, who has had previous experience in the specific operation concerned.

I would hope that the requirement is valad to the pilot owner doing prevenitive maintenance also........

But I haven't found a requirement in the FARs to reference.

NC19143 said:
But I haven't found a requirement in the FARs to reference.
I don't think there is one, and that's regrettable. Any owner who wants to tinker with his airplane should get a copy of the proper maintenance manuals and have them handy when working. Such an owner should also get a licensed mechanic to go over each procedure at least before the first time the owner tries it. And the owner should get all the proper tools for the job. However, common sense is the only rule that requires this. The only thing mandated by the regs on pilot-performed "preventive maintenance" is that the proper parts be used, and Home Depot generally isn't the right source for that.

Just as a heads up for those owners that change their own oil and filters. If you read the instruction on the filter box it will tell you to torque the filter of a certain torque. However if you read the aircraft maintenance manual you will find the torque is different. The maintenance manual is the correct torque to use.

I would recommend every owner to purcahse a copy of the maintenance manuals because in accordance with part 43.13(a) you are required to follow the current manufactues manual. This is why it is very important to refer the maintenance manual.

Stache

FYI-

While Stache is correct in recommending that everyone have a copy of the manufacturers approved maintenance manual and use approved data there are many instances in which commonsense must be used. As a case in point my manufacturers (current production aircraft) service manual simply says to drain and fill, there is one sentance for each task, no details, no torques, no mention of screens or filters.

AirWolf provides zero guidance except to strongly recommend the use of DC-4 compound and avoid over-torquing the filter, BUT there is no mention of the correct torque. The only mention I've ever seen of torque was on the filter itself.

Tom-

Skyport said:
FYI-

While Stache is correct in recommending that everyone have a copy of the manufacturers approved maintenance manual and use approved data there are many instances in which commonsense must be used. As a case in point my manufacturers (current production aircraft) service manual simply says to drain and fill, there is one sentance for each task, no details, no torques, no mention of screens or filters.

AirWolf provides zero guidance except to strongly recommend the use of DC-4 compound and avoid over-torquing the filter, BUT there is no mention of the correct torque. The only mention I've ever seen of torque was on the filter itself.

Tom-

I've been sitting on the sidelines because personally I prefer Tom's answer. However, with respect to the above, all of the required information is available, but you will need to reference more than just the aircraft manufacturer's manuals.

For example, for a Mooney, after researching Ron's & Stache's comments, as you noted above, I quickly determined that as the definitive reference for the entire oil & filter change, the airframe manufacturer's manual would be totally deficient. As Tom noted early on, it will tell you what must be done, but not how to do it. As best I can tell, if I wished to dot all the i's and cross all the t's with respect to the "IAW" references for an oil & filter change, the logbook entry for my Mooney M20J would read:

"IAW with Mooney Maintenance Manual section 5-20-05 (1)(A)-(C), drained oil; removed oil filter; and removed, cleaned, and reinstalled oil suction filter. IAW Champion AV-14, Rev. 1, replaced oil filter with new Champion P/N CH48103. Torqued oil suction filter plug and spin-on oil filter IAW Lycoming SSP 1776. Filled sump with 7 quarts Shell 15-50W oil IAW Mooney Maintenance Manual section 6-00-01. Inspected old spin-on oil filter IAW AC43.13.2b."

I believe there may be a Lycoming SB or SI detailing the correct Champion P/N, which would be more FAA definitive than the Champion catalog, but I was burned out by that point and frankly didn't care. Similarly, I was too burned out and too trusting to verify Tom's reference to 43.13.2b and the filter inspection. The correct torque for the spin-on filter is indeed specified in Lycoming SSP 1776 and the specification provided there is much more specific than the "16-18 lb-ft." you will see on the filter can.

Ed-

The value, and detail, of informatiuon varies dramatically from manufacturer to manufacturer. The amount of detail some advocate for something as simple as an oil change borders on the ridiculous.

You mention Lycoming SSP 1776, what is a SSP? Lycoming publishes SI's, SL's, and SB's, there are no SSP's nor is there a 1776 in any of the three mentioned.

I have the complete set of Lycoming SI/SL/SB's and there is no mention, that I have been able to find of oil filter torque, although there is one that addresses the need to use DC-4.................should we reference that one in our log entry, if we do such a simple job correctly and miss all of the IAW references is the job not done correctly, is it unairworthy??????????

I made no reference to 43.13.2b in my postings, nor do I refer to IAW's when logging a simple oil/filter change.

Tom-

Skyport said:
Ed-You mention Lycoming SSP 1776, what is a SSP? Lycoming publishes SI's, SL's, and SB's, there are no SSP's nor is there a 1776 in any of the three mentioned.

I'm not sure what "SSP" indicates, exactly, but SSP 1776 is the compendium of dimension and tolerance specifications, plus tightening/torque specifications, for every part and fastener found attached to a Lycoming direct drive engine. At time I obtained mine, SSP 1776 was published with Lycoming's "Direct Drive Overhaul Manual". Lycoming would send the manual owner his/her copy of SSP 1776 when the owner returned the update registration card.

I have the complete set of Lycoming SI/SL/SB's and there is no mention, that I have been able to find of oil filter torque,

The Lycoming overhaul manual is amended in part through Lycoming SI & SB issuance. Unless a tightening/torque specification is changed by SI or SB you will not find the reference in those sources.

although there is one that addresses the need to use DC-4.................

In my attempt to demonstrate the absurdity of a complete IAW list I apparently forgot about that one.

should we reference that one in our log entry, if we do such a simple job correctly and miss all of the IAW references is the job not done correctly, is it unairworthy??????????

As I mentioned in my previous post, personally I'm fine with Tom's (Tom D., BTW) recommendations.

I made no reference to 43.13.2b in my postings, nor do I refer to IAW's when logging a simple oil/filter change.

My apologies for creating some confusion. You were not the only Tom posting in this thread, but it wouldn't be obvious unless you know the players. The "Tom" referenced in my previous post is Tom D., aka "NC19143".

Last edited:
Ed-

Sorry, I had forgotten about the SSP's (Special Service Publications) because they are more often referred to by name than number.

Once again they will not give oil filter torque for the increasingly common aftermaket oilf filter kits, either engine mounted or firewalll mounted because they are not Lycoming parts. So your best guidance is the filter manufacturers instructions.

Tom-

Skyport said:
Ed-

Sorry, I had forgotten about the SSP's (Special Service Publications) because they are more often referred to by name than number.

Once again they will not give oil filter torque for the increasingly common aftermaket oilf filter kits, either engine mounted or firewalll mounted because they are not Lycoming parts. So your best guidance is the filter manufacturers instructions.

Tom-

I might very well be wrong, but I would lay a side bet that the STC documentation provides a fliter torque or references a Lycoming document within the assembly/installation instructions.

Ed-

While I don't have the STC doscumentation handy, and acknowledge that internet FAQ's are meaningless re FAR compliance this is from Airwolf's site. It is a bit...........................that there is so much dialog about the precise way in which to make a logbook entry for something as basic as an oil change. As an A & P I understand the import of proper logbook entries but..................

This endless thread about filter torques arose from Staches remark that the torque labeled on the filter was superseded by manufacturers data, in this case we could easily have two sets of conflicting data since both the filter and the filter base are FAA approved. At some point we must quit obsessing over our navels and use some commonsense. Anyone using a firewall mounted Airwolf kit will attest to the fact that even minimum recommended torque (from the filter can) causes the firewall to flex unless one is careful.

Tom-

Q: How tight should I tighten my filter to make sure it doesn't leak and is still easy to remove?
A:
The single biggest mistake people make when installing an oil filter is failing to use a dab of Dow Corning DC4 or any good silicone grease on the oil filter O-Ring before screwing on the filter base. Never use engine oil on the gasket as 50 hours later when you try to remove the filter, the oil will have been long gone and the filter will not want to come off. We purposely made our oil filter adapter easily removable with 4 bolts, so if you put the filter on like a gorilla, or you used engine oil as a lube, you can take the filter base off the aircraft and put it in a vise and deal with it there. Never try to remove a stuck filter on the firewall, as our mount is deceptively simple, yet very strong, and you have the potential of pealing back the firewall with brute force. We purposely did not provide a way of holding our filter base with a large wrench because if would provide you with a very large lever and increase to potential of damaging the firewall. Again, fix the problem, not the symptom. Use a dab of DC4 silicon grease and you'll never have a problem removing an oil filter.

Back