Oil dipstick require a seal?

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
After all the discussion in the thread about the oil leak, I began to wonder, is my dipstick missing an o-ring?

Sure looks like a place for one, what say you?dipstik.JPG

I was gonna guess it is a NEW dipstick.......

Never seen an old one that clean...:no::no:

I was gonna guess it is a NEW dipstick.......

Never seen an old one that clean...:no::no:
It's definitely not new, but with all the new oil flowing over it lately, it's not getting any crud on it. Honestly, I expected to get laughed off the forum and have my account locked by the mods for asking such, as I figured someone would say, "No seal allowed, because of the risk of the engine ingesting it." :hairraise:

It's definitely not new, but with all the new oil flowing over it lately, it's not getting any crud on it. Honestly, I expected to get laughed off the forum and have my account locked by the mods for asking such, as I figured someone would say, "No seal allowed, because of the risk of the engine ingesting it." :hairraise:

It's been awhile since I've had my A75 apart, but at least on it, I think I recall it having a screen on the pickup tube that went into the oil sump. So in theory on my engine it would still be in the sump. Not sure about others.

That'd probably bug me enough that I'd take apart the entire airplane into little pieces in search of the original o-ring.

AN123860 Item # 41 page 35 of 188

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/continental/O-I-470/Continental_O-470-IO-470_IPC_X-30023A.pdf

AN123860 superseded by AS3570-010 http://www.cessnadirect.com/as3570-010.html

Last edited:
I guessed incorrectly that you have a 182. It is still most likely the same o-ring as an O470.

It's been awhile since I've had my A75 apart, but at least on it, I think I recall it having a screen on the pickup tube that went into the oil sump. So in theory on my engine it would still be in the sump. Not sure about others.

That'd probably bug me enough that I'd take apart the entire airplane into little pieces in search of the original o-ring.

Lubricating System:
“…oil is drawn thru a suction screen in the lower left corner of the crankcase cover and through a cored passage to the oil pump. Oil is now delivered under pressure to a second screen…”
http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/maintenancemanuals/x30013/x30013.pdf

O ring on an 0-470 dipstick? Not on one that I've had. But the photo isn't like an TCM dipstick I've had. My dipstick tube has a spring clip in it that snaps into a groove in the dipstick and holds the dipstick in place unless I pull on it. The dipstick has an umbrella cover right below the finger loop to cover and seal the dipstick tube, kind of. Oil can still leak around the sring clip if there's sufficient crankcase pressure, which there shouldn't be.Other than that groove I don't recall any O rings or grooves in my dipsticks.

There are some references, now maybe someone who actually knows (TomD) will answer.

There are some references, now maybe someone who actually knows (TomD) will answer.

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SIL00-7A.pdf

O-300 on a 172 according to that would be oil dip stick PN 628413A1 which I do not believe has an O-ring.

O-300 on a 170 is a different dipstick according to that.

There are some dip sticks on there that reference o ring MS 9021-011 but neither of the above dip sticks reference an o ring.

Sounds like they've had problems with the wrong dip sticks being used which resulted in that service letter:
In recent years, TCM has supplied oil gauge rods with new and rebuilt engines. At times, TCM
has not been able to identify the specific oil gauge rod required for an engine, or supplied the
incorrect oil gauge rod due to field conversion of the engine from one model to another or a
change in engine specification in the field.

OP: Is there a PN on the dipstick? If so what is it?

Last edited:

The chances of an o-ring damaging your engine is next to nothing. It would have to go through the oil pump and screen, by that time the parts are so small they will be turned to lubricant as they go through the engine.

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SIL00-7A.pdf

O-300 on a 172 according to that would be oil dip stick PN 628413A1 which I do not believe has an O-ring.

O-300 on a 170 is a different dipstick according to that.

There are some dip sticks on there that reference o ring MS 9021-011 but neither of the above dip sticks reference an o ring.

Sounds like they've had problems with the wrong dip sticks being used which resulted in that service letter:

OP: Is there a PN on the dipstick? If so what is it?
Jesse, thanks for that, I'll certainly check for the PN when I'm out next but I'm tending to agree there is no ring shown. There actually isn't an oil coming from the neck of the dipstick tube. And, there is a clip that allows the dipper to click into place.

No, my mess is coming from overtightened/mis-installed valve cover gaskets and from leaky pushrod tubes. We only did the left side upgrade kits last year, so this year its time for the right side.

One thing about my O300, I'm beginning to think it likes to drip oil from somewhere. Every time I plug a hole, it comes from someplace else. All the while the breather tube is making mocha lattes on the ramp.

Jesse, thanks for that, I'll certainly check for the PN when I'm out next but I'm tending to agree there is no ring shown. There actually isn't an oil coming from the neck of the dipstick tube. And, there is a clip that allows the dipper to click into place.

No, my mess is coming from overtightened/mis-installed valve cover gaskets and from leaky pushrod tubes. We only did the left side upgrade kits last year, so this year its time for the right side.

One thing about my O300, I'm beginning to think it likes to drip oil from somewhere. Every time I plug a hole, it comes from someplace else. All the while the breather tube is making mocha lattes on the ramp.

Don't feel bad, mine (lycoming) makes a mess too

After all the discussion in the thread about the oil leak, I began to wonder, is my dipstick missing an o-ring?

Sure looks like a place for one, what say you?View attachment 38023
I say you need the part number of the Stick. there are about 5 variations to the dip sticks used on the TCM engines. some have an "O" ring some go to a snap clip that holds the stick in the engine.

what make model of engine used in what aircraft?

The 170 alone has 3 different dip sticks used.

there are some applications that have both a snap clip, and an "O" ring.

when a 170 has the 0-300-D there is no proper dip stick. any one using that application uses the 0-300-D stick and knows 6.5 quarts indicated is 8 qts in the engine.

So... the bottom line =

you may have the wrong stick in the wrong engine in a wrong aircraft.

what make model of engine used in what aircraft?

The 170 alone has 3 different dip sticks used.

there are some applications that have both a snap clip, and an "O" ring.

when a 170 has the 0-300-D there is no proper dip stick. any one using that application uses the 0-300-D stick and knows 6.5 quarts indicated is 8 qts in the engine.

So... the bottom line =

you may have the wrong stick in the wrong engine in a wrong aircraft.

Story of my (aviation) life Tom :rolleyes:, it's a 66 172G w/ the O-300D engine.

Here's a pic of the dipstick installed, quality isn't the best, does the metal clip hold it in place? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRCx-rLC62NNmEzVUFjd2d5QkRHMUhKc25halhyNWtUS1Nr/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
it's a 66 172G w/ the O-300D engine.
Yes you should have a clip, and an "O" ring

be back with a stick P/N in a few.

MY IPC tells me the dip stick has no number, it is an aircraft manufacturer's item fitted for the application, which will determine what configuration it is.

Cessna tech. will be able to tell you what the "oil quantity Rod" part number is.

The "O" ring Pn is AN 123860. crosses to several different P/Ns by Google.

Last edited:
My current dipstick has factory markings on one side and my scribed markings on the other. They're 2 qts different. Simple stuff for an owner. Not as simple for a renter or club guy. Ask.

P/N is AS3570-010, will pick up in a day or two and see if it fits. Thanks Tom.

image.jpeg Necro thread revival.

Look like I got a missing oring? IO-470F

My current dipstick has factory markings on one side and my scribed markings on the other. They're 2 qts different. Simple stuff for an owner. Not as simple for a renter or club guy. Ask.

Isn't that in the POH, wheels vs floats

The scribed lines I referred to were scribed by me to accurately show a known quantity of oil that I had just put in and run in. The point was that my lines are two quarts different than the factory's.

The scribed lines I referred to were scribed by me to accurately show a known quantity of oil that I had just put i
n and run in. The point was that my lines are two quarts different than the factory's.
That's an interesting thought...could that be why my engine throws anything > @ 5 qts overboard? I assume the factory marks were artificially low, meaning you showed 6 qts after adding 8 bottles of oil?

That's an interesting thought...could that be why my engine throws anything > @ 5 qts overboard? I assume the factory marks were artificially low, meaning you showed 6 qts after adding 8 bottles of oil?

Or it's just a normal plane, mine shows what I put into it, that said it like a hair over 9 out of 12 qts, much over 10 it just end up on the belly. Just airplanes being airplanes

The scribed lines I referred to were scribed by me to accurately show a known quantity of oil that I had just put in and run in. The point was that my lines are two quarts different than the factory's.
I have verified the part numbers of my two dipsticks and they are correct for each engine. The left engine shows known quantity after oil change/run-up perfectly. The right engine is exactly two quarts low as well. I didn't scribe anything but just keep it in mind.

Or it's just a normal plane, mine shows what I put into it, that said it like a hair over 9 out of 12 qts, much over 10 it just end up on the belly. Just airplanes being airplanes
Mines the exact same.

I have verified the part numbers of my two dipsticks and they are correct for each engine. The left engine shows known quantity after oil change/run-up perfectly. The right engine is exactly two quarts low as well. I didn't scribe anything but just keep it in mind.

Are the engines canted differently (opposing cylinders not level due to wing dihedral)? Or do twin's engine mounts take that into account so each engine sits flat relative to the ground?

Are the engines canted differently (opposing cylinders not level due to wing dihedral)? Or do twin's engine mounts take that into account so each engine sits flat relative to the ground?
They are canted differently. Inboard sides of the engines are slightly lower than outboard sides. Both dipsticks are on the left side of the engines (as viewed from the pilot seat). They are suppose to be calibrated with this in mind as they each have a different part number.

The National Aeronautical Parts Authority (NAPA) likely has one.

Not until some gives me a positive ID on the engine.

Look like I got a missing oring? IO-470F

That might be the groove that the snap ring grabs when the dipstick is fully inserted. I'll look at mine the next time I'm at the airport to check...If you don't get a REAL answer in the meantime.

That might be the groove that the snap ring grabs when the dipstick is fully inserted. I'll look at mine the next time I'm at the airport to check...If you don't get a REAL answer in the meantime.

Yeah, good call, but on mine, that groove is nearer the handle, in the 6 o'clock position. I moved it out of the way so I wouldn't have to edit the pic with an arrow pointing to the other groove, lol!

Back